Leaving the site question?

I keep up with a lot of the boards, and most of you probably dont know that I am a moderator of the North and East Texas area also. That aside, I constantly see folks posting that they are leaving the hobby. I was just wondering if you decided to leave the hobby, would you make a big post about it. Normally when someones does post, they get a lot of negative feedback from a lot of the members. Myself, when I decide to leave I will just be gone. The only way anyone will know that Im gone is they wont see my name on here any longer, and at the top of the page there will be another name as moderator. The reason I brought this up is I read a post today where someone made a big deal about leaving the board. I was just wondering how some others might feel about leaving. Would you post it? I must also say that the thought of leaving has crossed my mind. Ranch
  • clegs
  • 02-07-2013, 06:06 AM
Personally I think it is about ego. If you want certain members to know you are leaving, PM them. Most providers probably do it to drum up business, like the Oriental rug stores going out of business signs in window that have been there for a year. I will just be gone. But I do not post alot anyway. Just my opinion.
Personally I think it is about ego. ......... Most providers probably do it to drum up business....... Originally Posted by clegs
As to many of the ladies posting "I am leaving", you are correct, "going out of business, sale". I don't fault them at all, it is a valid marketing technique.

Personally, I have had my account diabled more than once over the many years here and on the "P"....Sometimes I said something, sometimes I didn't. Personally, not about my ego, rather offering "closure" for others.

I am sure there are many other reasons as to why some would post a departure note and others would not, but I suspect they fall into those two broad categories.... Marketing or Closure (closure for themselves and/or for others).

For many, they personally don't feel the need to provide closure for others or themselves, their closure comes from their departure.

We all have different personality temperments and traits. It is what makes us interesting, to say the least.

Respectfully,

Old Sarge
Ranch, not trying to hijack your thread but just noticed that Old Sarge is back. Welcome back Sir! Your contributions have been sorely missed at least by me.

Now back to your regularly schedule programming.

As far as leaving the hobbying, it's probably crossed all of our minds at one point or another. My preference is to go quietly in the night. I came into the hobby without any fanfare and would prefer to leave the same way. Just my .02 for what it's worth.
I'll be going quietly into the sunset when I throw the hobby towel in. I want to see where I'm going and where I been. My night vision sucks...At some point we're all just a memory around here, and we all want it to be a good memory when we go......Good luck with your decision Ranchhand
some good posts above.

i think providers do that sort of thing for the obvious "Going out of Business", and then several months later with the "I'm Back!!!" bonanza.

Ranch that would suck if you leave but you gotta do what you gotta do.

trust me, I try to take breaks all the time from this world for financial and personal reasons. this is a big reason why I don't try to hang out with people on here, because i think if you become friends, then it makes it harder to break away if something from the real world intervenes, like finding a true SO or something like that.

if I take a really prolonged break or just simply move away, then I might notify a few people just out of respect so they don't wonder, but I don't think i'll make some dramatic exit. I'm sort of an anti-drama type of person. I also don't like to make a big flashy exit in case I join again and look like a major ass. like cowboyfan said, i'll probably exit as quietly as I came in.

FTR, i have no problem for those hobbyiests who make a big splashy exit. i think for some, if they become too tied down to this world, then they have to make a big separation in order to cut all ties.
So I know personally I have tried to leave a couple times and always came back but I know next time when I do decide to leave I will just leave no goodbye letter nothing I would just simply walk away.
Yeah, I agree.. I'll just be gone.....