When Dallas Rocked

• EZguy
  • 05-17-2013, 12:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3uOL5ILnLg

Dallas was the music capital of Texas before Austin. This is a great retrospective for those old enough to appreicate it. I was a young man but I remember it well.

Sorry Tara,
You are too young for this thread.

Obviously I don't post much. But isn't the rule in Dallas that you are required to mention Tara in every thread. It's all sooo confusing...
I really enjoyed that. Thanks for posting it.
that was both awesome and sad at the same time.

i actually uttered the phrase 'jimmie vaughan is the most underrated guitar play in america' during a job interview once. and that was for a job as a software test engineer.

the city of dallas never embraced the rich musical heritage we had the way the city of austin did. i mean the city itself, not the real music fans. and the demise of the record store was sad to see happen over time. anybody remember Big Bucks Burnett? probably not but Bill's Records was a great place to hang out. and so many other record stores.

good times.

JPdM
JPdM,
I grew up here and hung with lots of bands here.Saw lots of shows.
My best friend has a great vinyl shop in Mesquite,also got a bud with a new shop in Carrollton Pm me for directions / phones....i BUY vinyl each week....
An excellent retrospective.
I doubt I am adding much to this thread but I cherish my memories of Austin.
I relocated to Austin from the Chicago area in 76 a sprawling community of fresh air approximately 300 thousand at the time affordable star power out the ass and far more intimate venues.

Inappropriate image removed by staff
Jay and the Americans? Sam the Sham and the Pharoahs. And the Dallas (and Fort Worth) country music and bluegrass scenes were huge. But long ago...
JPdM,
I grew up here and hung with lots of bands here.Saw lots of shows.
My best friend has a great vinyl shop in Mesquite,also got a bud with a new shop in Carrollton Pm me for directions / phones....i BUY vinyl each week.... Originally Posted by hoss148
i will. after various moves over the years, i lost my turntable many moons ago. but hung on to about 300 vinyls. couple years ago i got a sweet Bang & Olufsen turntable on eBay. looking to expand my vinyl collection someday, but i need a preamp for the turntable first.

i was a big fan of the Denton music scene as well. especially the funk scene. bands like ten hands, goodfoot, whitey, billy goat, beef jerky, so many others. and the jazz scene there was legendary.

and one of my prized possessions is a vinyl album of Bugs Henderson, signed by all the band at the Prohibition Room.

JPdM
Did anyone spend any Sunday afternoons (during the hayday of Deep Ellum) at Club Dada? Used to be a time where musicians would step up and just play their instruments without any cares.

Saw B.B. King there one afternoon while he was jamming and playing those harmonicas of his. It was really fun back in the day.

No one has mentioned the Dallas group Kenny and the Casuals.

Plus, later on, the New Bohemians were introduced during one of the early Denton music festivals. Then, they became very popular for awhile.

Edie Brickell married Paul Simon if I remember right.

Sometimes, I miss those days. Others? Not so much! (Those years were during my wilder times! )

That was a good video!
Oh ... and Joe Ely should be mentioned. Liked his music. But I also liked folk music such as Michael Shocked.

I know that he used to play in Dallas all of the time back in the day. Along with Robert Earl Keen when he was an unknown.

Wow. Memories, right? The 80's still had a huge musical presence in Dallas.

i spent many saturday afternoons at dada...the grateful dead band played there every sat. for many years. and edie got her start in denton. you are probably referring to the Fry Street Fair. many great memories of that..including the year that i think every single person there was on mushrooms.ihave a cd by ten hands that has a great pic of them playing right on fry street. band featured paul slavens, and the great earl harvin on drums. mike dillon was on percussion too. remember seeing Lone Star Trio, featuring Matt the Cat Hilyer, now of Eleven Hundred Springs, while tripping my brains out on those good shrooms. very very good times. remember andy timmons would play on the street...ask him to play any song and if he couldn't...he'd pay you. he never lost. pops carter was a staple in the fry street area too.

i still have some contacts at dada and stop in from time to time. the arts festival there a few weeks ago was cool.

JPdM
You're right. It was Saturday afternoons. Such a long time back!

Yes, the Fry Street Fair. Such a wild place. I've only been twice and I still remember the vendors and the vibe there. Tons of people and even sitting on the back of the car to just take a moment to rest because of all of the people milling around.

And I do remember it being a very safe place to be open and free about a lot of things!

It's my guess that this weekend festival is still going on, right?

I didn't know that the Grateful Dead played at dada on a regular basis.

I'm so out of touch with the scene anywhere in town today. I don't generally get out that much in that direction. I was always a symphony and theater person, even back then.

I find that if I do go to some sort of happening, I veer in that direction.

Hugs,
Elisabeth

P.S. I should get out more, though. Sure did love it during the day!
[QUOTE=SweetAterPie;1052898285]An excellent retrospective.
I relocated to Austin from the Chicago area in 76 a sprawling community of fresh air approximately 300 thousand at the time affordable star power out the ass and far more intimate venues.
[FONT=&quot]
Nevermind not worth me getting points.
An excellent retrospective.

Originally Posted by SweetAterPie
Don't be so hard on yourself, you really don't add much to any thread.

Back on topic, while the YouTube was probably nostalgic for Dallas people, every one of those artists also toured most major cities, not just Dallas. And people from those cities would dispute Dallas as being a mecca for musical talent. Anyone from the east coast can raffle off numerous intimate venues where musicians would pop up with no notice at all... surprising both the crowd and band onstage. Billy Joel did it in NYC all the time and the Boss was frequently clubbing in Asbury Park or Seaside. Now switch to the west coast... LA and it's clubs / studios drew quite a Hall of Fame list at any given time....still does.

For Texas, I'm sure 99.9% of musicians would consider Austin to be the place....now and then, sorry Dallas.

And I'm glad Tara is too young for this topic. That's another reason why she's hotter and sexier than all of the old farts talking about the 'good ol' days'.
Billy Joel did it in NYC all the time Originally Posted by Tiger Woods
what the fuck does billy joel have to do with rock & roll?

but anyway. music fans, even those of us that spent many years experiencing both the dallas and austin scenes, know there is no such thing as a 'music capital of the world'. but the video posted, and the posts that followed do show that dallas has a rich music history/heritage. and a lot of great memories for those of us that spent a lot of our lives in that scene over the years. do LA and NY have/had great music scenes? sure. i can name lots of great bands that sprang from those places. but i wasn't there so my memories of texas music trump those scenes because i never experienced them. i'm sure if i grew up in NY i would have great memories of the scene there. Would have loved to have been at CBGB's and seen bands like the Ramones in their infancy. so many LA bands too.

but i didn't. texas music is what i spent most of my years experiencing. so many cool memories that i will never forget. and all the while appreciating the music scenes of other cities that i didn't get to experience.
what the fuck does billy joel have to do with rock & roll?

but anyway. music fans, even those of us that spent many years experiencing both the dallas and austin scenes, know there is no such thing as a 'music capital of the world'. but the video posted, and the posts that followed do show that dallas has a rich music history/heritage. and a lot of great memories for those of us that spent a lot of our lives in that scene over the years. do LA and NY have/had great music scenes? sure. i can name lots of great bands that sprang from those places. but i wasn't there so my memories of texas music trump those scenes because i never experienced them. i'm sure if i grew up in NY i would have great memories of the scene there. Would have loved to have been at CBGB's and seen bands like the Ramones in their infancy. so many LA bands too.

but i didn't. texas music is what i spent most of my years experiencing. so many cool memories that i will never forget. and all the while appreciating the music scenes of other cities that i didn't get to experience. Originally Posted by Juan Pablo de Marco
Billy Joel was in the Dallas YouTube video, yeah I thought he was a funny choice too, he'd be the Urban Cowboy of the music scene for sure.. Which is why that video was nostalgic at best. I'm sure Joel played a gig and passed thru as quickly as possible, as did most of the artists...unless they came to Dallas for Tex-Mex..