Question about greetings

how do people feel about being called darling, sweetie, hunny (hunni), etc by people you do not know?

I have a friend that call waitresses - sweetie, honey, darling, etc when we go to eat. I hate it, it seems so condescending to me. I know that is not how he means it, but I hate it.

I also dislike being called those things in initial conversations with providers. Is it just me? or does it bother other people also? I am just curious. maybe it is an age thing, I don't know. I don't mind it after I get to know someone and there is some level of bond, but not by a stranger
I prefer to be called asshole, duechbag and the like.....Seems much more fitting.
Call me whatever you want I don't care ..honey, sugar , sweetie as long as I'm getting dick sucked I could care less..
sort of like the line in Bull Durham Movie when she having sex and calls him another mans name...she asks him would you rather be having sex with me and calling you his name or me having sex with him using your name..
Call me what u want..lol
Yea... It's kinda condescending. I hate "sweetie" the most. But where is the sweet spot? Being called "sir" or "mr" makes it a job interview... I'm getting use to it tho. I guess the end justifies the means
I dislike the hunni, sweeti thing and prefer to be called by my 1st name (whatever it is that day)...
Welcome to Texas. Hunny, sugar, darlin', sweetie, sweetheart, and babe are socially acceptable terms. Likewise, a male can expect to be called bubba, bud, son & friend, and maybe Sancho, Jose or Jack. It is the manner in which these terms are said that makes them condescending.
I could not agree more...
Welcome to Texas. Hunny, sugar, darlin', sweetie, sweetheart, and babe are socially acceptable terms. Likewise, a male can expect to be called bubba, bud, son & friend, and maybe Sancho, Jose or Jack. It is the manner in which these terms are said that makes them condescending. Originally Posted by Billogoods
Amen
how do people feel about being called darling, sweetie, hunny (hunni), etc by people you do not know?

I have a friend that call waitresses - sweetie, honey, darling, etc when we go to eat. I hate it, it seems so condescending to me. I know that is not how he means it, but I hate it.

I also dislike being called those things in initial conversations with providers. Is it just me? or does it bother other people also? I am just curious. maybe it is an age thing, I don't know. I don't mind it after I get to know someone and there is some level of bond, but not by a stranger Originally Posted by bule84
I don't like it either. It bothers me unless the person I'm talking to is a Texan or southern.
Ease up men, it's a southern thing. No harm, no foul.
I was born and raised in Texas. I did not say it was wrong, just that I don't like it (my opinion does not make it wrong). Was just curious how others felt.