Abortion Poll

This may be interesting
you should have put 6 weeks and 15 weeks in there.

yes, it matters if you want to do the poll correctly.
since you don't have entry for it.

15 weeks. this is when the baby's heart is beating on its own.
Yeah lots of tangents. I kept it at first second and third trimesters
Legal up to 24 weeks, also legal in case of health issues to save the life of the mother or if the fetus/baby won't survive birth. If it's rape or incest I hope they would be able to get an abortion before the 24 week cut off.
since you don't have entry for it.

15 weeks. this is when the baby's heart is beating on its own. Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
3 exceptions, save mothers life, deformed baby non-viability and failed miscarriage.
Looks like most people here disagree with the dipshit state Legislatures which are restricting all access to abortion.
I put legal up to 12 weeks. I also feel there should be exceptions for the health of the mother and extreme deformity/inviability of the child.

12 weeks is more than enough time for most to know that they are pregnant and gather the funds for an abortion if that is their desired path. Yeah-- I know a lot of folks like to cling to that 15 week mark... but I really feel that 12 is sufficient.
I put legal up to 12 weeks. I also feel there should be exceptions for the health of the mother and extreme deformity/inviability of the child.

12 weeks is more than enough time for most to know that they are pregnant and gather the funds for an abortion if that is their desired path. Yeah-- I know a lot of folks like to cling to that 15 week mark... but I really feel that 12 is sufficient. Originally Posted by Grace Preston
I would normally agree with you on this point however some women have a lot of obstacles put into their path that have nothing to do with whether they know they are pregnant or not.

A 12 week limit would be sufficient but only if abortion care was free and easy to access for all women. But that's not true in many places in America.

By allowing a longer access time you're giving women more flexibility to overcome obstacles placed in their path.

Even if the time limit was raised to 15, 20, or 24 weeks the large majority of abortions would be before the 12 week period just like they are today.

According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists

In 2008, 1.2 million abortions occurred in the United States, of which 6.2% took place between 13 weeks of gestation and 15 weeks of gestation, and 4.0% took place at 16 weeks of gestation or later. Only 1.3% of abortions are performed at 21 weeks of gestation or later.

https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinic...ester-abortion

and the BMJ states that nine out of ten abortions are are done before 12 weeks of pregnancy in many high-income countries.

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom...ome-countries/
I would normally agree with you on this point however some women have a lot of obstacles put into their path that have nothing to do with whether they know they are pregnant or not.

A 12 week limit would be sufficient but only if abortion care was free and easy to access for all women. But that's not true in many places in America.

By allowing a longer access time you're giving women more flexibility to overcome obstacles placed in their path.

Even if the time limit was raised to 15, 20, or 24 weeks the large majority of abortions would be before the 12 week period just like they are today.

According to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists

In 2008, 1.2 million abortions occurred in the United States, of which 6.2% took place between 13 weeks of gestation and 15 weeks of gestation, and 4.0% took place at 16 weeks of gestation or later. Only 1.3% of abortions are performed at 21 weeks of gestation or later.

https://www.acog.org/clinical/clinic...ester-abortion

and the BMJ states that nine out of ten abortions are are done before 12 weeks of pregnancy in many high-income countries.

https://www.bmj.com/company/newsroom...ome-countries/ Originally Posted by txdot-guy

You do know that there are TONS and TONS of orgs dedicated to not only paying for abortions for women who want them, but in cases where they now must travel out of state, paying for the transportation and lodging costs as well, right? That is why I still say that 12 is sufficient. The help is out there-- people just have to utilize a little effort.
... Both you and Tax-Dot got fair-minded opinions on this, Pretty-bird.
I also agree that 12 weeks/first tri-mester should be a reasonable
time-frame. ... Common-sense "restrictions" like these surely
seem to be what good bit of the country favours.

#### Salty
You do know that there are TONS and TONS of orgs dedicated to not only paying for abortions for women who want them, but in cases where they now must travel out of state, paying for the transportation and lodging costs as well, right? That is why I still say that 12 is sufficient. The help is out there-- people just have to utilize a little effort. Originally Posted by Grace Preston
I think that's true for 90% of the people out there. However there is still a minority of individuals who live in rural areas, are afraid of their parents, church, husband, or rapist and may find it difficult to come up with the time and money to either contact the necessary people (especially with pro life pregnancy centers masquerading as abortion providers) to help them before the 12 week period is over.

My point was taking away options from these women in what I would consider an arbitrary way still affects quite a number of women. In 2008 it was about 122,000 women who got abortions after the 12 week period. And that was without the current abortions laws we have now.
... Both you and Tax-Dot got fair-minded opinions on this, Pretty-bird.
I also agree that 12 weeks/first tri-mester should be a reasonable
time-frame. ... Common-sense "restrictions" like these surely
seem to be what good bit of the country favours.

#### Salty Originally Posted by Salty Again

And this is the only reason why I get fired up about this. So many states are outright banning it-- which is obviously not exactly the "will of the people". Even my very very Republican family member stepped down as county chair this year over some of the changes to the Texas platform. They feel its gone entirely too far and no longer reflects the desires of the people and the Republican Party as a whole.
And this is the only reason why I get fired up about this. So many states are outright banning it-- which is obviously not exactly the "will of the people". Even my very very Republican family member stepped down as county chair this year over some of the changes to the Texas platform. They feel its gone entirely too far and no longer reflects the desires of the people and the Republican Party as a whole. Originally Posted by Grace Preston
Bingo! Exactly the reason I cant/wont vote for Abbott come November. Gonna leave that blank and vote on all the rest.
So far most are ok with abortions being performed in the first trimester. First trimester abortions are usually non-surgical.