This summer's solar eclipse in TN

Just something for fun here since some of the best viewing of the eclipse will be in Nashville. And for those that may not be aware, a total eclipse will happen on August 21 and will go across the entire width of the country. You can view the path and get more info here: http://www.eclipse2017.org/eclipse2017_main.htm

Where I live in MS, we'll get about 85-90% of the full eclipse so that's close enough for me that I bought special glasses to view it. If you are planning on viewing, you need to get your viewing shades ordered now.

Who's making travel/party plans for that day?
Here's the path of it:

Definitely thinking about heading up for it. Always enjoyed events like this, especially if I can grab a beer along the way.
August 21 is going to be the second week of the fall semester where I work, and the odds that My Inconsiderate Employer would let me take the day off to go chasing a total eclipse are slim to none, with Slim not only having left the building but driving away...

One thing to keep in mind for those of you who might want to chase the eclipse... this has been at the forefront of the astronomy news for over a year now. If you're far enough away that you need to book a room to stay in, you may already be SOL... "Luckily" for me the zone of totality is close enough to be a day trip, so if I could get the day off (there's, I suppose, an astronomically tiny chance that they might cancel classesfor the day, considering that this is literally a once in a lifetime event), then I guess the only problem is finding a place to park alongside a country road somewhere in Southern Illinois/Western Kentucky/Middle Tennessee. We'll have to see what happens.

Cheers,

bcg
My home is a couple of miles from the edge of totality, so it will be a short drive to dead-center.

The bad news: I understand that Nashville hotels are going to be pretty heavily booked. So our fair ladies will find it challenging to find a nesting spot around that date.

-Jeepster1
I'll be watching from the deck at my house - it will be my 2nd total eclipse. Guess I just happen to be in the right place at the right time.

JaG
PS: Make sure you know how to protect yourself from the intense rays during the eclipse - you can be blinded if you're not taking the right precautions.
I went to a presentation about the eclipse. They claimed that a million (!) people planned to converge on Nashville, and traffic would be at a standstill.

I think the guesstimate is BS, but they said that APSU in Clarksville had been contacted about renting a dorm to a visiting group... back in 2010.

I think I'll watch from Lebanon. Already got my special dark glasses.

-Jeepster1
I went to a presentation about the eclipse. They claimed that a million (!) people planned to converge on Nashville, and traffic would be at a standstill.

I think the guesstimate is BS, but they said that APSU in Clarksville had been contacted about renting a dorm to a visiting group... back in 2010.

I think I'll watch from Lebanon. Already got my special dark glasses. Originally Posted by Jeepster1
I think Lebanon is in the zone of totality. If that's true, I don't see any reason to go elsewhere, unless you're an astronomy geek and absolutely, positively have to observe the longest period of totality that you can.

If you're interested in getting an idea of what the eclipse experience will be like where you live (or will be when the eclipse occurs), you can try the "eclipse simulator" here:

https://eclipsemega.movie/simulator

Enter your city and state in the box at the top. In fact, you can go so far as entering the address you expect to be at when the eclipse happens; the simulator appears to be using the Google Maps API for geolocation purposes.

Cheers,

bcg
Love that site BCG, great find!
Just for fun, I checked TripAdvisor regarding Nashville rooms for Eclipse Day. It only showed one place with vacancies... Marriott near Vanderbilt. Cost for Sunday night would be $909.

-Jeepster1
Monday not the best day and it's a 3am start from here.
I just want to live my life to the fullest and CIM in the providers that trip my trigger
Will be on the road by 10 pm. See you all in Nashville