Trump the genius

As of today the unemployment rate is the lowest it's been since 1969, and for the first time in decades wages are rising fast.

In the business world in which Trump has lived all his career what matters is results. No one cares about anything but results. Not speeches or claims or atmospherics which you can get away with in politics, but only results.

This is what Trump knows that politicians can never learn. What he knows is that cooperation is not as important as competition. He knows that although your neighbors may smile at you, if you have a stash of Gold coins buried under your swimming pool they'll be tunnelling under it to get their hands on it.

He understands because that's what he'd been doing.

That's why he's a genius.

When Obama took office the DJA had dropped 20% to something like 6500, I can't memeber exact figures. but we were all worried about a depression at that time. When Obama left office the economy had grown 46% and the DJA was close to 14,000. Trump has done a good job of not screwing the economic growth started by Obama, so far.
When Obama took office the DJA had dropped 20% to something like 6500, I can't memeber exact figures. but we were all worried about a depression at that time. When Obama left office the economy had grown 46% and the DJA was close to 14,000. Trump has done a good job of not screwing the economic growth started by Obama, so far. Originally Posted by chuckles
I think both Obama and Trump deserve credit for the economy. Obama was put in a hard place when he entered office and the economy improved drastically during his time in office. Trump, likewise, has continued that improvement in the economy. The problem as I see it is that those in the middle of the middle class and below have not benefitted as much as those at the top of the middle class and above. That is why Biden, who speaks for ALL workers, is so respected.
When Obama took office the DJA had dropped 20% to something like 6500, I can't memeber exact figures. but we were all worried about a depression at that time. When Obama left office the economy had grown 46% and the DJA was close to 14,000. Trump has done a good job of not screwing the economic growth started by Obama, so far. Originally Posted by chuckles
The economy and the GDP are NOT the same thing as the Dow Jones average of stocks. The GDP did not grow 46%. The stock market recovered because although unemployment and wages were bad, under the Wall Street loving Obama corporate profits were high! Under Obama income inequality reached stratospheric heights! Wages at the end of Obama were LOWER than when he took office!

The problem was largely the insane trade imbalance and the hemorrage of jobs to lowest paying third world shit holes with no unions or regulations of any kind.
I think both Obama and Trump deserve credit for the economy. Obama was put in a hard place when he entered office and the economy improved drastically during his time in office. Trump, likewise, has continued that improvement in the economy. The problem as I see it is that those in the middle of the middle class and below have not benefitted as much as those at the top of the middle class and above. That is why Biden, who speaks for ALL workers, is so respected. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Obama was a darling of Wall Street and allowed them to do whatever they wanted, more so than any Republican. After eight years wages were lower than when he started.

Wall Street never liked Trump and he never liked them, and that's why things have improved.

I'm a life long Democrat and I hate Wall Street bankers and speculators and their captive politicians like Obama and Hilary.

I knew Obama was a fraud in 2008 when he refused public financing because it would have restricted the contributions he was offered by Goldman Sacks.

Pussycat, you obviously know a lot more about economics than I do so I really can't argue effectively with you. I've heard the Sunday morning TV experts say there are many more factors at play that determine how the economy is doing than who is President at any moment. The real worry I have is the monstrous and ever growing national debt. Roosevelt and Obama spent our way out of national financial crises. which was probably a good thing. So far no political party has actually had the political will to enact policies that are aimed at long term financial good of the country b/c it would cost too many votes. W financed the Iraq war by borrowing shitloads from the Chinese. I fear Trump's tax cut will only benefit the wealthy and only for a short time. Here's a list of the % different Presidents have increased the debt. Even "Mr Conservative" Reagan increased the debt by 186%, 3rd most in history. Someday the financial balloon is going to burst and we will see another Depression.
Obama was a darling of Wall Street and allowed them to do whatever they wanted, more so than any Republican. After eight years wages were lower than when he started.
Originally Posted by pussycat
Not true. Wages grew each year Obama was in office.

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/at...ing-2019-03-08
Pussycat, you obviously know a lot more about economics than I do so I really can't argue effectively with you. I've heard the Sunday morning TV experts say there are many more factors at play that determine how the economy is doing than who is President at any moment. The real worry I have is the monstrous and ever growing national debt. Roosevelt and Obama spent our way out of national financial crises. which was probably a good thing. So far no political party has actually had the political will to enact policies that are aimed at long term financial good of the country b/c it would cost too many votes. W financed the Iraq war by borrowing shitloads from the Chinese. I fear Trump's tax cut will only benefit the wealthy and only for a short time. Here's a list of the % different Presidents have increased the debt. Even "Mr Conservative" Reagan increased the debt by 186%, 3rd most in history. Someday the financial balloon is going to burst and we will see another Depression. Originally Posted by chuckles
I agree that the recent tax cuts helped those in the upper middle class and above much more than those at the middle of the middle class and below. So many Trump supporters point to the stock market climb and say how great it is. And it is -- for he estimated 52% of adults in this country who own stocks. The other 48% don't give a damn whether the market goes up or down.

Regarding the deficit -- when Democrats were in power, Republicans thought the rising deficit was important. Democrats not so much. Now that Republicans are in power, Democrats think the rising deficit is important. The Republicans not so much. Strange how opinions change.

When Trump was campaigning, he laid out all his plans -- spend more yet reduce taxes and at the same time reduce the deficit. I looked at it and said no way could that happen. And it didn't happen.
I feel like what's really going on here is that a lot of the country has manned up and started acting like adults in order to mitigate the damage caused by having a petulant child in the White House. Even White House staff say they're job is basically to keep him as distracted as possible so he doesn't pitch a bitchy hissy fit and make things worse.
Trump is not a genius. Some people call Phil Spector a genius. Some people just love people who do bad bad things.
Pussycat, you obviously know a lot more about economics than I do so I really can't argue effectively with you. I've heard the Sunday morning TV experts say there are many more factors at play that determine how the economy is doing than who is President at any moment. The real worry I have is the monstrous and ever growing national debt. Roosevelt and Obama spent our way out of national financial crises. which was probably a good thing. So far no political party has actually had the political will to enact policies that are aimed at long term financial good of the country b/c it would cost too many votes. W financed the Iraq war by borrowing shitloads from the Chinese. I fear Trump's tax cut will only benefit the wealthy and only for a short time. Here's a list of the % different Presidents have increased the debt. Even "Mr Conservative" Reagan increased the debt by 186%, 3rd most in history. Someday the financial balloon is going to burst and we will see another Depression. Originally Posted by chuckles
I agree with you. The interest is crushing. Once the economy is stablized a plan has to be enacted to pay down the debt. Having high deficits is stimulating, and the Obama deficits were a combination of high spending on relief because of unemployment, low tax revenues because of weak growth, and high spending to stimulate the economy. But the spending went on for eight years with little result because trade deficits were so high.

Trump is also running high deficits, which are very stimulative. And there's still low interest rates which help a great deal. But the change he's made is reviving manufacturing to increase wages and employment. He's done this by protecting domestic industries like steel, aluminium, and anything effected by Chinese imports.

The ideal would be to bring the trade deficits down, and then we wouldn't need such low interest rates or deficits.

With higher employment and wages we will not need high corporate taxes, and tax revenues can be high enough to pay down the debt without creating unemployment or slow down growth.

I agree that the recent tax cuts helped those in the upper middle class and above much more than those at the middle of the middle class and below. So many Trump supporters point to the stock market climb and say how great it is. And it is -- for he estimated 52% of adults in this country who own stocks. The other 48% don't give a damn whether the market goes up or down.

Regarding the deficit -- when Democrats were in power, Republicans thought the rising deficit was important. Democrats not so much. Now that Republicans are in power, Democrats think the rising deficit is important. The Republicans not so much. Strange how opinions change.

When Trump was campaigning, he laid out all his plans -- spend more yet reduce taxes and at the same time reduce the deficit. I looked at it and said no way could that happen. And it didn't happen. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
He promised the same vodoo economics Reagan did and it didn't work either.

But ideally if wages and employment are favorable then tax revenues will increase. Whether they increase enough to offset the tax cuts is questionable.

Reagan had to raise taxes. We will see what Trump does. He will not be happy if the Republicans send him another Budget like the last one.
Blah, blah, blah! Where's the wall?
WHY DONT YOU FUCKING IDIOTS GET AN EDUCATION!! THE PRESIDENT, DEMOCRATIC, REPUBLICAN, VEGETARIAN, OR WHAT HAS VERY,VERY LITTLE TO DO WITH HOW GOOD THE ECONOMY IS! THAT ROLE BELONGS MAINLY TO THE FEDERAL RESERVE AND OTHER INSTITUTIONS, BOTH GOVERNMENTAL AND PRIVATE! FAKE NEWS1