Best mexican food in Austin ?

Anyone know I'm craving some good mexican food
Fonda San Miguel
Fonda San Miguel Originally Posted by snark_sandwich
ohhh yes thank you its not that far from me either perfect
Enchiladas Y Mas or El Mercado. The cheese enchiladas at both these places are to die for. And they have great Mexican Martinies too
Fonda San Miguel is pricey. El Mercado is average imo, Lichas Cantina is authentic like Fonda at half the cost. Tingas de pollo Sope is the best. Or you up north central Mi Tradicion. Cheaper than Lichas, just as authentic
Btw Tex-mex and Mexican aren't the same. They share common foods i.e. tacos. But most Mexican food has at least 1 of these ingredients that tex-mex doesn't: epazote, creama, queso fresco, cacao
If u see ground beef, torillas de harina, yellow cheese that is Texan Mexican infusion
Btw Tex-mex and Mexican aren't the same. They share common foods i.e. tacos. But most Mexican food has at least 1 of these ingredients that tex-mex doesn't: epazote, creama, queso fresco, cacao
If u see ground beef, torillas de harina, yellow cheese that is Texan Mexican infusion Originally Posted by atxman75
The OP shows San Diego in her profile, so it is a good guess she knows the difference.

I do like your Licha's recommendation. Their food is very good, plus lots of cool bars within walking distance. El Naranjo also has very good food and its Rainey street locale is stuffed with great bars

If you like Pipian Mole or Conchinitas Pibil, Sazon is a great choice (a bit divey facilities but great food). Lots of choices.
  • Twix
  • 05-07-2019, 02:49 PM
Pappasitos off I 35 and St Johns, a little pricey but sooo delicious !! Tacos, Tamales, Cheese Enchiladas , and Homemade Tortillas . Don’t for the Modelo beers �� and Thirst Quenching Watermelon �� Margaritas! ;P
Taco Bell
Amaya’s Taco Village is the best TexMex for me. Closer to what I grew up on. But of course I’d much rather cook my own Mexican food. I’ve found that I don’t like that a lot of real Mexican places use veggies in their rice and I dislike that. And some places do it to their taco meat as well.
Fonda San Miguel Originally Posted by snark_sandwich
Stay away. Pretentious and mucho expensive. Food not even that good.
Pappasitos off I 35 and St Johns, a little pricey but sooo delicious !! Tacos, Tamales, Cheese Enchiladas , and Homemade Tortillas . Don’t for the Modelo beers �� and Thirst Quenching Watermelon �� Margaritas! ;P Originally Posted by Twix
Stay away from that place. It's a chain with mediocre food that's crowded because it's on the highway.
Stay away from Baby Acapulco, El Rancho, Manuels, and Serranos.

The best is definitely Uncle Julios downtown.
  • Twix
  • 05-10-2019, 05:31 PM
To Each his own So what if it’s a chain , the Food it the Best Quality food . Why do you think this place is Always Packed! It’s Because it’s a Beautiful Restaurant inside and Lovely Patio outside with a Fancy Water Fountain. Pappasitos has been here for Many Years , since the 90s . Why because the Food and Atmosphere is the Best . It’s all a matter of Opinion. The only way to now is try it for yourself. What one person likes another mite not . To Eatch his own ..
El Dorado Cafe on Anderson and Mopac. It's a classic Tex-Mex "joint" with delicious food. Also, sometimes hot waitresses in cut off jeans-the perfect condiment