Stuff to do in Austin

• tdude
  • 05-29-2019, 07:37 PM
Hey how is everyone? Im in town for a few days add wanted some thoughts on places to go things to do.
barton springs, hippie hollow, shopping and wandering down south congress, lady bird lake hike and bike trail, stevie ray and willie statues and the capitol are all the regular must see sights. also consider Mount Bonnell, the barton creek trail for hiking. One other fun “Austin” activity is Esthers Follies a live comedy and magic show, very funny and local.
for local live music music consider Continental Club, c-boys, antones, saxon pub, skylark lounge. Seems like tourists like the rainey street district for bars and restaurants but not my scene at all. The Rainey Street Historic District is a street of historic homes, many of the bungalow style, in downtown Austin, Texas. Rainey Street is positioned near Lady Bird Lake and Interstate 35 in the southeast corner of downtown.
and for more nerdy fun consider the museums down by campus and MLK@congress. you can hit the Blanton art museum and the Texas state history Bullock museum, and the Harry Ransom center which has incredible collections. then walk down Guadalupe street which runs along campus and get a feel for the Campus area. A longtime old favorite good bar down there is the hole in wall on Guadalupe. keep going to a few blocks more to antones record store for a killer selection of music. the other good record store is waterloo records at 6th and lamar and the giant whole foods is across the street for eating and the one of best indie bookstores in the country Bookpeople is right there too. you could spend a fun afternoon right there at 6th and lamar if you like books and music stores. have fun and let us know what you've liked here.
The State Capitol building / complex is quite impressive. And if you're carrying concealed legally, you get to go through the fast screening lane where you just show the nice DPS Officer your permit, and don't have to empty your pockets or go through a metal detector!
  • tdude
  • 05-31-2019, 02:11 PM
So far I have swam naked, ate BBQ, saw the bats, kayaked, Rainey St, I'm gonna check out the comedy deal and the capital. I wanna find a good dinner bar also. Thanks for the recommendations