More Big Brother horseshit designed to raise taxes

Yet another proposal to track your mileage and tax you accordingly:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...#axzz2iyjra7VI

And all because gasoline taxes are no longer bringing in enough funds to pay for roads.

Why aren't gas taxes bring in enough money, you ask? Because we are driving more efficient cars and using less gas, that's why. So even when we do the right thing we still lose out.

But don't worry. All the advocates say the state and federal governments would NEVER track your movements.
Why aren't gas taxes bring in enough money, you ask? Because we are driving more efficient cars and using less gas, that's why. So even when we do the right thing we still lose out. Originally Posted by ExNYer
The reason for driving those cars is the CAFE standards.....also mandated by the federal government.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws+&+Regulati...16:+Final+Rule
The reason for driving those cars is the CAFE standards.....also mandated by the federal government.
http://www.nhtsa.gov/Laws+&+Regulati...16:+Final+Rule Originally Posted by Chica Chaser
Exactly.

So even when we do the right thing, we still have to be punished.

And when people move closer to work or ride bikes or take mass transit rather than drive and be tracked, then even the mileage tax won't be enough to pay for the road maintenance.

What then? Big annual taxes for just owning or leasing a car, even if you rarely drive it?

They MUST have their tax money and they don't want to raise the money from general taxation even though we all benefit from the roads.

So they connive, connive, connive.
Yet another proposal to track your mileage and tax you accordingly:

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-...#axzz2iyjra7VI

And all because gasoline taxes are no longer bringing in enough funds to pay for roads.

Why aren't gas taxes bring in enough money, you ask? Because we are driving more efficient cars and using less gas, that's why. So even when we do the right thing we still lose out.

But don't worry. All the advocates say the state and federal governments would NEVER track your movements. Originally Posted by ExNYer
Iam sure they'll try that or they'll tax you on the type of vehicle you drive, regardless of the amount of milage you drive each year. It goes like this, if they can impose a Health Care Law and shove that down our throats then of course the next thing is to stuff some sort of vehicle tax up our ass.
  • WTF
  • 10-27-2013, 11:31 PM
How the fuck else do you propose we pay for the upkeep on our roads?
How the fuck else do you propose we pay for the upkeep on our roads? Originally Posted by WTF
Do you really think strapping an electronic device to your car and recording your driving habits is really a good idea? Besides we are being taxed and those funds from gas tax as well as state and federal taxes go into the maintenance of our roads.
Have you forgotten smoking cessation programs paid for with smoking taxes....if you believe that. That money went into the general fund and as people stop smoking that money dries up.

Other proposals on the table; disolution of the mortgage interest exemption, the health plan disparity tax
How the fuck else do you propose we pay for the upkeep on our roads? Originally Posted by WTF
Like I mentioned above, general taxation. No special "road/driving" taxes. We ALL benefit from roads.
Toll Roads..
  • WTF
  • 10-28-2013, 07:31 AM
Like I mentioned above, general taxation. No special "road/driving" taxes. We ALL benefit from roads. Originally Posted by ExNYer
Well that is a bit naïve. So we should just do away with the gas tax and raise taxes in general. Good luck with getting elected with that idea.

The tax should be increased for a number of reason one of which is to raise more revenue for repair and the other is to discourage wasteful gas consumption.

Do you object because it is a regressive tax? Do you want it to be more progressive?

I like the fact that it is regressive, poor people should be more selective in their travel choices, IMHO.
Well that is a bit naïve. So we should just do away with the gas tax and raise taxes in general. Good luck with getting elected with that idea.

The tax should be increased for a number of reason one of which is to raise more revenue for repair and the other is to discourage wasteful gas consumption.

Do you object because it is a regressive tax? Do you want it to be more progressive?

I like the fact that it is regressive, poor people should be more selective in their travel choices, IMHO. Originally Posted by WTF
No, I'm not talking about the existing gas tax. We already have that and it can't be used to track you.

And I am happy that is both reduced pollution and reduced gas consumption. I even favor raising those. I like some regressive taxes, too.

But I'm talking specifically about the new proposals for generating revenue because gas taxes aren't enough. The new taxes won't do much to reduce gas consumption because we are getting closer to the practical limits of high gas mileage unless we are willing to drive light weight plastic death traps that get 60 miles to the gallon.

And we won't get ANY mileage improvements at all from gas taxes if and when we move over to all electric cars that you charge in your home.

No, once we reach that point, the governments - state and federal - will just jack up the car taxes relentlessly and put the money into the general fund.

And it will be one of those easy sells whereby government convinces folks who don't drive a lot that they should support the tax becuase it won't erally effent them. kind of liek the way local governments try to fund football stadiums by telling locals that it will be paid for by hotel taxes and car rental taxes that only tourists will pay.

Only it never quite works out that way.

They will put in place some "progressive" system where you pay only a small tax on the first 500 miles of driving each month, and then a higher tax for the nest 500 miles, and them a big tax for anything over that. This will get the support of lots of people in urban areas because they think it won't cost them much.

But then, like a warped income tax scheme, the brackets will start to creep down (450 miles, then 400 miles, etc. ) or the tax rate in each bracket will start to creep up, or both.

I say don't let them get their foot in the door.

If and when the day comes that we have good, reliable all electric cars that run on rechargeable batteries, then the gas tax will produce negligible revenue. At that point, roads should be built and maintained out of general revenue.

They should not be funded from replacement schemes that have nothing to do with controlling pollution and everything to do with controlling our lives.

Look at the abuse that is occurring RIGHT NOW with the government snooping on our private information (taxes, medical records). Do you really trust them not to abuse your location information?
  • BJerk
  • 10-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Personally, I think that cars should be taxed every year on value, like real estate. You drive a fancy 7 series or S class, you pay the price. Additionally, gasoline taxes should be raised to pay for maintenance, it is one of the most fair taxes - you drive, you pay. Electric cars will have to be taxed per mile, obviously, with consideration of the privacy issues involved.
  • WTF
  • 10-28-2013, 02:03 PM
Personally, I think that cars should be taxed every year on value, like real estate. You drive a fancy 7 series or S class, you pay the price. Additionally, gasoline taxes should be raised to pay for maintenance, it is one of the most fair taxes - you drive, you pay. Electric cars will have to be taxed per mile, obviously, with consideration of the privacy issues involved. Originally Posted by Bert Jones
Personally, I think that cars should be taxed every year on value, like real estate. You drive a fancy 7 series or S class, you pay the price. Additionally, gasoline taxes should be raised to pay for maintenance, it is one of the most fair taxes - you drive, you pay. Electric cars will have to be taxed per mile, obviously, with consideration of the privacy issues involved. Originally Posted by Bert Jones
Real Estate gains value which makes it a true investment, while automobiles loose value. Automobiles in general are not sound investments. By the time an individual sells a car they've lost so much money in terms of the original value, if you pay a tax on a car that's money that can never be captured. The bottom line is our politicians have made so many grave mistakes and have now damaged the economy to such an extent that now they want us, who have not accrued that debt to suffer the consequences. I say screw them they got us into this mess without our help let them figure it out without fucking us over. My car is paid for I have enough in Insurance, maintenance and general up keep costs. I certainly don't need some additional tax or some silly ass black box for the Government to monitor my usage that's none of their business.
WHY OH WHY DO I LOOK AT THIS BULLSHIT?

Thanks to you, America is at the intelligence level of the below average third world country.