The Joy of Delusion

• WTF
  • 01-26-2010, 08:06 AM
For my comrade LonsesomeDove

'Stumbling on Happiness,' by Daniel Gilbert

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/05/07/bo...7stossell.html

LD, I started a new thread with the books narrative in mind. I thought it might merit a discussion without all the ''Look at me! Why are YOU looking at me?" heehaw drama some posters seem to entail. The book is chocked full of studies that debunk long held personal beliefs. If nothing else you and I can have a (mostly) civil discussion without trying to set the stage that we are being picked on.

OnGuard!

---Gilbert's elbow-in-the-ribs social-science humor is actually funny, at least some of the time. "When we have an experience . . . on successive occasions, we quickly begin to adapt to it, and the experience yields less pleasure each time," he writes. "Psychologists calls this habituation, economists call it declining marginal utility, and the rest of us call it marriage."---
Ah, the game is afoot my dear Watson. May I be worthy enough to Coup droit d'autorité by my Contre-riposte to your Coup passé WTF.

En garde indeed!

…(after I do some reading of course).
Looks like an interesting read
I have not forgotten about this WTF but I have been busy with a few things. Once I get the chance this weekend to do some reading, I will be back.
So WTF, are you starting a book club or did you have some insight on the subject you would like to share? Personally, I am constantly surprised at what makes me happy. When I think I am content with one thing, something else comes along that I fight tooth and nail because I'm afraid of the potential pain it will inflict rather than the enjoyment it has the potential to produce... a self-sabotage of sorts.

The Sisters Morales said it best in their song "Misguided" the following are the most compelling lyrics to me:

"Will it ever be real love, will it ever be calm;
Will I have to know myself to find someone?"

My point being, will I have to know myself to find out what truly makes me happy and if so, do I REALLY want to get to know her or will the whole endeavor be for naught?

Maybe I am content in enjoying "The Joy of Delusion" I have created for myself.
Interesting read.

If I saw me as I really am, I'd be too depressed to ever have sex again: too small and inept to give pleasure.

But since I can delude myself into believing I can be an adequate lover, I can engage in sex from time to time.

I can support my delusion by frequenting providers. Not only do they provide a basic service (sex), but also an experience (they pretend I'm good at it). Some providers are better at it than others.
  • WTF
  • 01-30-2010, 08:54 AM
So WTF, are you starting a book club or did you have some insight on the subject you would like to share? . Originally Posted by AidanMacKenna
I'll share. Later......

..... right now I gotta house I'm trying to get ready for the SB!
Well if there is anyone on this board who is qualified to post about delusions, it is WTF.
Well if there is anyone on this board who is qualified to post about delusions, it is WTF. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Good one PJ.
  • WTF
  • 01-30-2010, 12:37 PM
Good one PJ. Originally Posted by LonesomeDove
Please do not encourage him!
Well if there is anyone on this board who is qualified to post about delusions, it is WTF. Originally Posted by pjorourke
Delusions?! I thought it was Mad Cow!
Delusions?! I thought it was Mad Cow! Originally Posted by Nineveh
Perhaps both? lol
  • irena
  • 02-08-2010, 11:06 AM
§ Ævæ Provo. Sorry, but you are looking for something that isn't here.

(reflective does not essentiate depth)
  • WTF
  • 02-08-2010, 03:51 PM
Delusions?! I thought it was Mad Cow! Originally Posted by Guest020510

Mad Cow is giving her to damn much credit and a disservice to Cows!

You crack me up Guest020510, even incognito.