Google Wave

Curious if anyone has been Waving out there?

For those asking "What's that?", it's a new collaboration software designed by google in beta tests.
Nope. I make it a habit NOT to participate in beta testing. I wait until it is out of beta and been on the market long enough to work the kinks out. Which is why I never got Windows Vista. Good on me.
Nope. I make it a habit NOT to participate in beta testing. I wait until it is out of beta and been on the market long enough to work the kinks out. Which is why I never got Windows Vista. Good on me. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Normally I would agree, however, in this case I think it's brilliant. The problem with this kind of software is no laboratory is going to work out the kinks or truly understand real world application and evolution.

Right now no good collaboration software exists, and nearly all of my projects are collaborations with people scattered across the city, if not the globe.

By allowing companies to apply for the chance to use it in beta testing on the condition that we will participate in the discussion with google about their product, they're letting us participate in the evolution of the program. You can actually witness the users talking to google about what they like, hate, want to see added, and log in one day to see those changes implemented.

It's been fascinating, and dealing with the glitches has been well worthwhile. They need test subject so when people like you sign up, they are providing an optimal experience.
I've used Microsoft Live Meeting often and it works very well. The downside is that it is a subscription service.
Waving?

No, I had not heard of Google's new product about waving.

What is it supposed to do?

I got to their web page, but it says that you have to be invited in in order to use the software.

Can someone email me an invite?
This is a long video but it gets everything across:
http://wave.google.com/about.html#video

You can apply for use of google wave - I suggest you do that. People guard their invites as they're capped at 8.

To request an inviation from google:
https://services.google.com/fb/forms/wavesignup/
Where does one apply for an invitation?

I found a Google website talking about it, but it reads like invites are given to admins or people like that.

What if you're not an admin or something like that?

Okay, I see that you now have a link to the sign in site. Cool!
Where does one apply for an invitation?

I found a Google website talking about it, but it reads like invites are given to admins or people like that.

What if you're not an admin or something like that?

Okay, I see that you now have a link to the sign in site. Cool!
Originally Posted by Fast Gunn
https://services.google.com/fb/forms/wavesignup/
Lauren, do you or anyone else know what is the approximate response time to hear back from Google on the invite?

Some of my mail gets thrown into the spam box and I have to rummage in there sometimes to find something that was not really spam.

BTW, does anyone know a really good spam filter program? I used to have one that would learn. You would take something out of the trash and put it in the inbox and the program would know next time, but this program just doesn't learn diddly!
All they want to know is that you have some practical and ongoing use of the software from what I gather.

Approx 2 weeks.
BTW, does anyone know a really good spam filter program? I used to have one that would learn. You would take something out of the trash and put it in the inbox and the program would know next time, but this program just doesn't learn diddly! Originally Posted by Fast Gunn
I've used Mailwasher Pro for years and I'm very happy with it!
Yes, Lauren I'm waving too! I've been a MS beta tester since 1998, a Google tester since @ 2002 (when gmail was still invite only) and I beta for Trillian. I am a Google freak.

Can't wait to see how Google wraps wave, OS and Android up all together, but I figure it ought to be good. Word is Google will be running a SuperBowl ad this year in the last half.
Yes, Lauren I'm waving too! I've been a MS beta tester since 1998, a Google tester since @ 2002 (when gmail was still invite only) and I beta for Trillian. I am a Google freak.

Can't wait to see how Google wraps wave, OS and Android up all together, but I figure it ought to be good. Word is Google will be running a SuperBowl ad this year in the last half. Originally Posted by babee
Hot, I love a fellow nerd.

I'm hoping they find a way to work out the playback so backups can be made in PP style, rather then backing up only the final document. Having a history of the changes and discussions is so very valuable in my line of work.

I'm really unhappy with the effort involved in linking one wave to another. Haven't figured out how to get robots working on it yet.
Right click. Save file as .eml. Only way to save the complete wave.
Right click. Save file as .eml. Only way to save the complete wave. Originally Posted by babee
Merci