Here Comes a New GOP Push for a Military Buildup

Interesting article from The Washington Post:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...itary-buildup/

Doesn't take that long to read either!
I wish someone would have the political guts to scale back the U.S. Military.

The U.S. spends more on Defense than the next 10 developed countries combined.

I find it extremely strange that Republicans have been clamoring for years about reducing the U.S. Debt, but continue to push for increased Defense spending year after year after year.

The only political candidate in recent memory who has suggested the U.S. scale back it military was Ron Paul, and that of course killed his presidential campaign.

Wasn't it Dwight Eisenhower who warned about the U.S. Military-Industrial Complex back in the 1950s?
You two would make a good couple.
You two would make a good couple. Originally Posted by IIFFOFRDB
Like you and your right hand?
I wish someone would have the political guts to scale back the U.S. Military.

The U.S. spends more on Defense than the next 10 developed countries combined.

I find it extremely strange that Republicans have been clamoring for years about reducing the U.S. Debt, but continue to push for increased Defense spending year after year after year.

The only political candidate in recent memory who has suggested the U.S. scale back it military was Ron Paul, and that of course killed his presidential campaign.

Wasn't it Dwight Eisenhower who warned about the U.S. Military-Industrial Complex back in the 1950s? Originally Posted by PizzaLover
We will face austerity measures at some point. We simply can't keep going on like we're going.
Like you and your right hand? Originally Posted by WombRaider
My right hand has saved me thousands of dollars over the years. Just like your mouth has made you tens of thousands of dollars over the years... PizzaRaper
My right hand has saved me thousands of dollars over the years. Just like your mouth has made you tens of thousands of dollars over the years... PizzaRaper Originally Posted by IIFFOFRDB

Correction; your right hand has saved many a poor girl from having to lie there while you huff and puff and try to stay hard for the three seconds it takes you to bust a nut, wash up and get the fuck out before the next sad sack enters.

You don't know the half of it, you Gruberized Odumbo minion.
Well, the military industrial complex (of which Ike spoke of) and national defense are two different things.

We have been stretching out military and scaling things back (maybe not in money, cronies need to be paid) but in manpower and equipment for the last five years. Where were you when the hollowing was beginning? China, North Korea, Russia, Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Kenya...just a few places where there is trouble brewing. The oft repeated comment about how much we spend compared to ten other countries is wrong and idiotic. Would you criticize a police department for spending more on cars and guns than the fire department? Like it or not, we are the world's go to country for policing, rescuing, and help.
Well, the military industrial complex (of which Ike spoke of) and national defense are two different things.

We have been stretching out military and scaling things back (maybe not in money, cronies need to be paid) but in manpower and equipment for the last five years. Where were you when the hollowing was beginning? China, North Korea, Russia, Yemen, Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Kenya...just a few places where there is trouble brewing. The oft repeated comment about how much we spend compared to ten other countries is wrong and idiotic. Would you criticize a police department for spending more on cars and guns than the fire department? Like it or not, we are the world's go to country for policing, rescuing, and help. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Firstly, it's not wrong, it's simply fact. http://pgpf.org/Chart-Archive/0053_defense-comparison

Your attempt to separate the MIC and national defense is fucking laughable.

"The term is most often used in reference to the system behind the military of the United States, where it gained popularity after its use in the farewell address of President Dwight D. Eisenhower on January 17, 1961, though the term is applicable to any country with a similarly developed infrastructure"

What do you think the military of the united states does, dumbass? Provide national defense, maybe?

Are you THAT fucking stupid? Seriously?
We do have a problem with the military industrial complex in this nation. We also are sitting on the sidelines of what is rapidly becoming world war 3. The spread of the Islmic state is little different from the spead of nazi Germany. The goals of the Islamic state bears a striking resemblance to the purification of the Arian race. No Christians are allowd and you either convert or die. Genocide and the attacking of sovereign nations rings another bell.

Climate change and global warming will be of little concern when the Islamic nazis use nuclear weapons on Israel and the United States.
Armageddon is their desire.

The question should be; do we have enough military to defend ourselves against the attacks that will eventually come.

Another question is, where did all of the money go that we have saved from pulling out of Iraq and greatly reducing our role in Afghanistan?
We do have a problem with the military industrial complex in this nation. We also are sitting on the sidelines of what is rapidly becoming world war 3. The spread of the Islmic state is little different from the spead of nazi Germany. The goals of the Islamic state bears a striking resemblance to the purification of the Arian race. No Christians are allowd and you either convert or die. Genocide and the attacking of sovereign nations rings another bell.

Climate change and global warming will be of little concern when the Islamic nazis use nuclear weapons on Israel and the United States.
Armageddon is their desire.

The question should be; do we have enough military to defend ourselves against the attacks that will eventually come.

Another question is, where did all of the money go that we have saved from pulling out of Iraq and greatly reducing our role in Afghanistan? Originally Posted by The2Dogs

Are you really serious to ask a question if we have enough military to defend ourselves? You don't think when our nation spends more per captia on military and defense than the next 10 countries combined- some how you have the audacity to ask do we have enough to defend ourselves- sheesh- typical republican rhetoric.
  • WTF
  • 05-31-2015, 10:12 AM
Like it or not, we are the world's go to country for policing, rescuing, and help. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Please show me where that is in the Constitution.

Oops! There it is....again. That same bumper stick quote used by people like Baby Killer, Penis Lover and now WE. It is always modified in some way. In this case by the words "per capita". Bumper stick quotes never tell the whole story. Yeah, we spend a lot of money on defense and we have a lot to defend. Someone tell Baby Killer and Penis Lover (like they're two different people) that I served and he didn't so he can blow me (though I will give that honor over to WE).

Our next biggest competitor is China where the average person makes a fraction of what an American does so that tends to reduce cost. The US also builds more technologically advanced systems like aircraft carriers, stealth fighters, nuclear submarines. That costs money in order to win wars and save lives. You do think American lives matter don't you? The latest drone programs will probably begin saving money as people are replaced by machines...
Our responsibilites literally span the globe which no one else is able or wants to do. As a percentage of our total budget the US spends about 3.8% and that has been decreasing (as is our GDP). Russia, Saudi Arabia, and Israel spend a greater percentage.

Peace always comes at a price though the peace has been rather shaky the last few years because of miscues, malfeasance, and incompetence.
Peace always comes at a price Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Your statement is nothing but a platitude -- "peace comes at a price".

How much is enough spending on Defense? Republicans NEVER seem to be able to answer that question.

The U.S. made a HUGE mistake by invading Iraq and Afghanistan. These wars will cost AT LEAST $1 Trillion, and that doesn't even cover the increased cost of long-term health care for Veterans.

Given how Republicans always whine about "reducing spending", why isn't Defense included in this?
Your statement is nothing but a platitude -- "peace comes at a price".

How much is enough spending on Defense? Republicans NEVER seem to be able to answer that question.

The U.S. made a HUGE mistake by invading Iraq and Afghanistan. These wars will cost AT LEAST $1 Trillion, and that doesn't even cover the increased cost of long-term health care for Veterans.

Given how Republicans always whine about "reducing spending", why isn't Defense included in this? Originally Posted by PizzaLover
They have already cost more than a $1 Trillion. Since the money was borrowed, estimates are that it could cost as much as $6 Trillion by the time it's all said and done.