Thinking about a quick visit between summer classes, suggestions?

Hello fellow hobby enthusiasts!

As some of you may know, I'm from Dallas and I've never made it to the Austin area in all my hobby years.

I lived in Austin years and years ago when I was a kid, but I don't know much about the area except I remember 6th street is where I was not allowed to go, but ended up at all the time. And Round Rock donuts are the best on the planet!

But now, I'm coming to town for a different reason.

So, two things.

Would it be better to come the end of this week after I get out of class, before most people's pay day, and not much time for pre-booking, or next weekend when there is time to pre-book and people should be getting their 2nd check of the month.

Secondly, where is (are) a good location(s) to chose to stay at in a 3-4 star hotel that I can chose from through booking.com or hotwire.com? And be in a safe environment and fairly safe from LE?

I really appreciate your time and effort in making this a good trip.
I don't have advice on specific hotels, but my standard advice to traveling ladies is this:

1. Avoid downtown. Too expensive, too much traffic.
2. Avoid Williamson County (Click here for a map of the county line and regions.). Law enforcement can be more of a problem up there.
3. If you want to be close to the nightlife, pick a location south of downtown.

Additionally, Austin's traffic makes it somewhat difficult for guys on one side of town to meet ladies on the other side during peak traffic hours. If you choose to stay & host somewhere in north Austin, expect to hear complaints from the guys in south Austin, as most will be coming to visit you during hours in which traffic through downtown is pretty bad.

Most hotel search engines allow you to search by zip code. Try 78745 or 78741 for South Austin, and 78758 for North Austin.

If you decide to choose a hotel in the IH35/290/183 intersection area, I would recommend *not* leaving any visible valuables in the car. Austin 'mongers nicknamed the area "The Vagina Triangle", and consider it a rather seedy part of town to visit for BCD purposes.
Regarding the timing of your visit.. I usually try to pay my rent+utilities with the first biweekly paycheck of the month, leaving the 2nd paycheck available for my more flexible bills and play funds.
hey tnt arboretum or domain area are always a good choice
Within hour of SA you should visit. Stay in Airport area lots of good 3 star hotels.

Sam
hey tnt arboretum or domain area are always a good choice Originally Posted by ynot_y
The Parmer/35 area has a couple of safe, clean hotels that are not in Williamson County too
Thank you everyone for the advice.

I am going to be coming next weekend and it sounds like the arboretum area is a good location.

I will be posting an ad this weekend and staying in touch with everyone that has reached out to me.

I can only stay a couple of days, as I have to get back to Dallas and get homework done.

Thanks so much. I really appreciate it.