of African predators, what are your rankings of who you root for?

• pxmcc
  • 03-17-2024, 03:16 PM
so i'm going to post my fave African predator. #1, let's say, can run really fast, but also makes a good pet.

what are your top 5 or top 10 of who you root for on the plains of the Serengeti?
  • pxmcc
  • 03-27-2024, 11:50 AM
cheetahs are my favorite African predator. they're gorgeous, and one of the few big cats that are fairly safe to have as a pet; you can literally put them on a leash and walk them like Fido. also, super cool that they're the fastest land animal at close to 70 mph. (peregrine falcons can dive at 240 mph.)

one thing confuses me. cheetahs are built like long distance runners, but the fastest human sprinters are totally jacked. how does that even work?
  • bcglx
  • 03-27-2024, 04:36 PM
There's a video of a cheetah attacking an animal al on nature is metal and its so fast it doesn't look real It looks like your watching a Sci fi movie
  • pxmcc
  • 03-29-2024, 05:25 PM
^^can you post the link, sir? i'd love to watch.

my 2nd fave African carnivore is the jaguar, b/c first, they're beautiful. 2nd, they kill their prey without the help of a full team, like a pride. 3rd, they're antisocial unless they wanna fuck, which is also kinda my take on things..

who do ya'll take as #s 1 and 2?
Jaguars are not African.
  • jan-w
  • 03-29-2024, 06:22 PM
I don't know how fast they are or if they would make a good pet but I've always loved the adaptability and beauty of the leopard. He is at home in the jungle or the plains and is as comfortable in the trees as he is on land. Also, he has an independent quality that I admire. He doesn't travel in a pack or a pride. He's solitary. He hunts alone, eats alone and when the time comes, he dies alone.
  • pxmcc
  • 03-29-2024, 07:35 PM
+1 jan.
Jaguars are not African. Originally Posted by Slitlikr
my bad, i meant leopards. mea culpa. mea culpa. mea maxima culpa.

thx for stopping by Slit.

https://www.treehugger.com/differenc...%20the%201700s.
African killer bees are by far Africa's best killers or predators. Not only will they fuck you up in Africa. They will cross the ocean and bring that pain to your doorstep. They are also immune to bear spray and loud noise. They are hyper attracted to folks on a bike ride at midnight
Best by far? Sorry to bust your bubble but the tiny, annoying mosquito is the animal that kills more people in Africa as well as worldwide and they have been since the beginning of humanity.
Are they predators?
Well, they seek out other animals and take a blood meal while depositing deadly diseases into them.
  • pxmcc
  • 03-30-2024, 05:32 AM
the thread is about what are your fave African predators and why, not what kills the most people in Africa. someone else can start that thread, which is a pretty cool topic too.
my list so far:
1. cheetah
2. leopard (not a jaguar, which is New World only).
The animal, (animals), with the highest percentage of kills are the African Wild Dogs.

Not glamorous. Not awe inspiring. No big roar.

But when they get after something, they don’t quit until it’s supper.
  • pxmcc
  • 03-30-2024, 10:20 PM
yup, every list has to include them somewhere. incredible speed, unbelievable endurance, incredible teamwork, and like you said, dogged-no pun intended-af..
The animal, (animals), with the highest percentage of kills are the African Wild Dogs.

Not glamorous. Not awe inspiring. No big roar.

But when they get after something, they don’t quit until it’s supper. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Good thread px. Predators is a tad limiting. You have the cat family. Hyenas and wild dogs. The croc is a borderline predator in my opinion. So it's very limited.
I too wanted to post the mosquito. Top in kills anywhere ever
As far as just plain dangerous. I'd go with the hippo. Both of these are not predators. My above is not a knock. Just saying.
My top predator. Has to be the male lion. The king.
Yes, I like the hippo also even though it's not a predator so can't vote for them. I am impressed by the fact it spends so much time in the water, it appears to be awkward and clumsy, but yet kills more humans in Africa than any other mammal.
Of course mosquitos are predators. They are my favorite because they eliminate the most humans. I'd like to see them take out about 3 billion this year. They are the best.