Odd H-town Hotel Query? Total bullshit imho

I am here in Houston on business this week. Am staying at a nice Galleria area hotel. Well, when I returned back to the hotel after an early morning client meeting, I was met/greeted by a hotel employee outside on a smoke break asking me who I was there to see? This happened on two days by two different members of staff.

My response each time was an, "Excuse me? I'm sorry, what did you say?" The response was, "Who are you here to see?" My response to them was, "I don't believe it's any of your business who I'm here to see, is it?" Bear in mind, I am a registered guest and not there to visit an incall provider.

After having digested the bullshit approach by staff for a bit, I elected to contact the G.M. of the hotel to get his opinion on the matter and to ask - rather directly - why registered hotel guests were being questioned as to which guests they were there to see? He gave me some corporate line bullshit response which led to my telling him that the next time I'm approached by staff with such a query would not result in a pleasant exchange.

Now then, to the H-town hobbyists, is this something that the hotels here are now doing? I travel extensively across the U.S. on business and have never been asked such an invasive question. The sad part about the whole deal is that there are most likely folks who willingly comply and answer the question without ever giving it a second thought.
Thanks for the heads up. I'm staying in a very nice Galleria Hotel in a couple of weeks. I intend to have company of the hobby type, but I'll keep this in mind.
You are talking about the place closer to Downtown right?
..... which led to my telling him that the next time I'm approached by staff with such a query would not result in a pleasant exchange. Originally Posted by TxHarleyGuy
I like that part. That's what I would tell them.

That is total bullshit. The funny part about it is (almost) every hotel I stay in in the world (except USA) every hotel worker knows my name and room number...and my backpack and what phone I use.

Those stupid mother fuckers are just that. They have no fucking clue. Now if they asked you if needed a lady friend...that might be a different story.