Imagine all the people
Sharing all the world...

Yo-o-o-u,
You may say Im a dreamer
But I'm not the only one
I hope some day you'll join us
And the world will live as one
That was really nice and pleasant.
I remember a wintry night many years ago. Still fairly young, I had been "on the road" as a business traveler for only a few years and was still in aw of the new places I now visited every week.

On final approach, I vividly remember looking down from my window at the snow covered city below. . . the lights went on forever with the Manhattan skyline just across the river. And I wondered to myself how many things must be going on at that precise moment in such a place, and what it would be like to know what all of those things were for just one instant.

The next morning the paper read that John Lennon had been murdered the night before, at about the same time I landed in Newark across the river. I felt angry, sad and betrayed. . . but also grateful that I could never know everything that happened in the city at that instant, because I wished I did not know that this thing had happened.

Regards from another Working Class Hero,
Until a few years ago, I was never a big John Lennon fan. It was horrible the way that he died ... but still.

The last few years I have been through, like most people do in their lives at one point or another, a time of tremendous change and personal growth. And something happened when I started to really listen to his songs.

Including a lot of the old Beatle ones. They touched me. Completely.

When I used to collect art, I was thrilled with his stuff so many years (decades) ago.

Now, his music is what thrills me as well. I cannot "imagine" what he would and could have created if he wasn't tragically robbed of his life so long ago.

Great topic, Raven.

Warmly,
Elisabeth
I was a huge fan before his death, and after. He was always my favorite Beatle, because he was the most complex.

The Beatles' catalogue was remastered and reissued last year. Of course, I bought them all even though I already had the earlier pressing. His solo catalogue is being reissued this year in connection with his 70th birthday. I have most of it on vinyl, but have limited my purchases of his post-Beatles' work to Greatest Hits CD's.

Anyone who proclaims a love of music but who hasn't checked out John's and the Beatles' music is really missing something (the best summation of the Beatles' work was this from a Rolling Stone music critic: "Not liking the Beatles is like not liking the sun"). The best way to commemorate his birthday is to listen. Buy a CD or download an album.

Looks like I need to take my own advice and celebrate his 70th by purchasing a few albums myself...Plastic Ono Band, anyone?
Happy memories.
Happy 70th birthday John
I was in the sophmore year at college at a big state school in Ohio studying for finals and there was talk amongst us roomates about the album he just released and if it was good since it had been awhile since he wrote songs for a album One of my roomates who was into progressive music and a big critic for variuos artist for selling out and going for money instead of artistic perfection thought his new stuff was typical of the day.Later as I settled down finished from studying I picked up a copy of Playboy which had the Interview with John and Yoko As I walked home A very surrealistic feeling came about and as I got back home. I ate then flipped on the tv to watch Monday Night Football I got half way through the Interview and half listening to the game when Howarrd Cosell interrupted and simply said there were reports that John Lennon was shot and then a few minutes later they said he had died.
!980 was a crazy time The hostages in Iran Carter exiting and a former movie actor becoming president. As that turned out Reagan began the process of the finality of the cold war with the Berlin Wall being removed, something John Lennon felt was the most symbolic matierial barrier to the meaning of freedom and peace.
He never lived to see it but do know John was one of the most peaceful thinkers and advocates of freedom that you would ever find even in today s times. Billy Joel who got his inspiration from The Beatles wrote a song "Only the Good Die Young" probably didnt think those words could be so right on about John. its been 30+ since his unfortunate passing but will never be forgotten
Celebrity deaths don't usually get to me. John Lennon's murder did.

I wish Lennon had stayed at home in the UK, where the average psycho doesn't have access to handguns.
I was at a ceremony at Strawberry Fields in Central Park Yesterday. Very moving. Walked by The Dakota today. Lots of flowers on the sidewalk. May of us remember.