Lawn care service

Hey, you never know....

My lawn is in serious need of dethatching and aeration, looking for a lawn service that does that. The work probably won't extend much beyond that, I kinda like doing my own mowing & edging. Tried Angie's List and the top names there are crazy busy, hit up Craiglist and found some flakes that never showed up.

So, anyone know/got a kick-ass lawn service????
Most places now want a monthly contract. Very few will do one time services. And the ones that do are crap.
Oh yeah, I totally know that's part of my problem. It would help if some of them realized that "small jobs" might lead to "bigger jobs". Or in my case, consulting work where they tell me what to do/use and I give them $$. I'm sure when July/August gets here I'll find that my joy of doing my own lawn will be on the wane.

Anyhow, one of the Craigslist guys came out today and looked things over... he doesn't think I need dethatching, but a good aeration should help me get to where I want. Says he'll be back tomorrow AM with an aerator, we'll see.

Then the fun of getting sprinklers installed begins..... This "greener grass" shit is getting out of hand!!!
Hopefully they rent a core aerator as apposed to a spike aerator as a spike aerator compacts the soil. Additionaly since you know what thatch is and you think you have to much you probably do but your new lawn care folks are trying to save the cost of that rental. Just keep in mind that dethatching and core aeration may make the lawn appear a bit roughed up for a short while but it will bounce back better then ever.

On the subject of lawn care and since its time to fertilize be carefull what fertilizer you use. Many have too much nitrogen in them. While the high nitrogen makes the grass turn green too much promotes thatch, insects, etc.

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/e.../lawnfert.html
top gun rental has core aerators.. takes a while for the effects to show but it will make a MAJOR improvement to your yards health..
Thanks, the 2nd guy (referenced above) from Craigslist worked out. He came out pretty much on time and had a core aerator. Just a young guy based in Georgetown who's trying to build a business, if he keeps doing what he's doing I think he'll get there. Very nice, very polite, didn't sell me something I didn't need, etc...

Thanks for the other info as well, and the recommendations sent via PM.