I Need Some Advice On Home Ventilation....

I am going to have my roof replaced in the next couple of weeks and don't know a lot about certain issues involved in the whole process but am learning along the way. So, I currently have an attic exhaust fan that is set at 90 degrees and seems to do well. When I crawl up in there, it's not hot and seems to be the correct temperature from the little sensor that I have hanging down from the attic in order to check the temp. My attic, however, has no insulation so I am definitely about to change that.

Now...the roofer/contractor guy is recommending a ridged vent. It sounded good when he explained it but I have looked into both and see pros and cons of each one but also feel like if my exhaust fan is working, why change it? I know this is a boring topic but I could use some advice from anyone who has knowledge and is willing to offer advice. You can reply here or send me a PM. I just know that the best time to do the ridged vent is while my roof is being replaced so want to make a decision soon.

One more thing...I have to choose the color of shingles. Okay, being the girlie girl that I am, I like certain colors that may or may not look good. I know that the darker shingles look nicer but the lighter ones help with the heat, etc. So, any advice on this topic as well??

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sarah
A ridged vent i usualy a good idea but is only part of the equation. Do you have enough soffits to generate adequate air intake into the attic? You want to keep the air moving. You also need to deal with humidity which is a killer on your structure itself.
Forgot to mention if you opt for blown in insulation make sure they dont cover your soffit vents.
Is the blown insulation better than having my friend do it, which he insists upon doing.

As for the soffit vents, I remember asking if I had a lot of those as well as gable vents but don't remember whether it was a yes on having enough or possibly needing a few more so will return with that reply as soon as I ask. This is my first time to own a house so want to make sure I do it right while the roof is being replaced.

They are going to be doing some sheet rock repair as well so will be looking for someone to do that part.

Thanks!
Here is a pretty decent high level overview with some nice illustrations to make it all make sense.

http://www.airvent.com/pdf/literature/PAVbooklet.pdf
How much extra will the ridge vent cost you? It's probably cheap enough to do it anyway. It will probably help no matter what else you do, and it works without electricity or maintaining a fan.

I suspect that having both the ridge vent and the fan will do no harm.

The plastic type of ridge vent that they shingle over will probably be adequate. I'm normally a little skeptical about plastic stuff outside, but the most important bits are covered up.

Having enough soffit vents, and not clogging them with insulation needs to be done correctly whether you have the fan or just use ridge vents.
I need to ask the roofer if there is an extra cost involved as I was assuming it was included in the whole amount. See...this is why I am seeking any and all advice possible. I do know, however, that it is not recommended to have both the ridged vent and the attic exhaust fan. If that was a possibility, I would definitely go that route but no such luck.

Also, it seems as if the attic exhaust fan is "old school" and the ridged vent is the latest and greatest...but again, I don't know. I am going to do some more research and keep checking back here for any advice, which is greatly appreciated by the way.

Here is a pretty decent high level overview with some nice illustrations to make it all make sense.

http://www.airvent.com/pdf/literature/PAVbooklet.pdf Originally Posted by northaustincouple74

Great! I actually replied before looking at your link and then went back to take a look. Thank you so much! I am printing at this very moment and it looks like it will be very helpful! Thank you!
I do know, however, that it is not recommended to have both the ridged vent and the attic exhaust fan.
Originally Posted by Sarahsmiles
I don't think there's any problem with both.

If you have a ridge vent, the exhaust fan may not do much additional good, but it won't do any harm to leave it in place.

Does the exhaust vent go through the roof, or is it installed on a gable end?

The roofer will probably charge more with a ridge vent than without. Get a price for both. Of course, here in the people's democratic republic of Austin, the 5 year plan may require you to have a ridge vent whether you want one or not.
You don't want to have a attic fan that let the condition air going to attic. That is the draw back of attic fan even when it is properly install and insulated. Ridge vent and R22 insulation will do the job. Keep the attic cool. Remember hot air travels up.
and yes ridge vents are included in the quote, no extra for it.
Hell yeah.. Ridge venting is even cheaper than capping the ridge, buying cost is negligible. It's pointless to have an attic fan AND ridge vent. The fan, WILL FAIL, not a matter of IF.. it's when. There's nothing to fail on ridge vent. Ditch the fan or re-purpose it. If you want to make a major difference, have the bottom of the roof (inside the attic) foil covered. That stops a great deal of the heat at the roof instead of at your ceiling.