Leather couches, the pros and cons

• Paven
  • 04-14-2012, 11:29 AM
I've never had a leather couch before but I'm thinking about getting one in white. I would appreciate any information from folks who have one or have had one in the past.
Thank you
Pros:
Spills wipe away easily (maybe not as easily on white though)
Doesn’t trap odors
Cons:
Can feel sticky if your perspiring.
Kids come home with pencils in their back pocket and inadvertently poke holes in it (probably doesn’t apply to you)
Make sure it's all leather , many are only leather on surfaces you touch. After awhile the vinyl cracks and tears. Also get one with metal frame and springs in cushions as opposed to stretched canvas in the seating area. The canvas ones stretch then you're sitting in a hole.
Get top grain leather. Do not get blended leather.
Nubuck Leather is also commonly referred to as "brushed" leather. Nubuck leather is very much like suede in feel but Nubuck is thicker and stronger. Nubuck leather is very resilient to wear but not at all resilient to stains. Making this type of leather a poor choice for high use every day living areas.
Full Aniline Leather, sometimes the term "naked" leather is used when referring to this type of leather. This leather comes from only high quality hides that produce an extremely soft and delicate leather. Full Aniline leather undergoes the least amount of processing allowing it to breath, making it very comfortable in all temperatures. Full Aniline Leather is very vulnerable to discoloration from direct sunlight
Distressed Leather is also known as "waxed" leather. The reason for the name is because of the use of waxes to create an antique, rustic, well used look. The waxes used also contribute to the leather aging well after years of use. Distressed "waxed" Leather is best for many years of heavy usage and requires very little maintenance.
Semi-Aniline Leather is primarily the same as Aniline Leather except for the difference of being treated with a protective coating. This allows for stain protection and better consistency of color. This form of leather is best for furniture that is going to be heavily used. This leather also requires the least amount of maintenance and care.

http://totalleathersolutions.com/dif...s-leather.html
I hate having furniture I'm constantly afraid of damaging. You're probably going to have it for many years. Are the good looks worth the hassle and worry to you?
I love the leather it doesn't absorb dust, it can be wiped off with damp rag. Mine is 11 years old , I bought Berkline it is warrantied for 10 yrs. Mine is motion recline and when the springs break they replace them free.
  • Paven
  • 04-14-2012, 08:09 PM
Well I'm glad that I asked these are all very good points.

I was referred to a local shop today and found one that I liked and it fit me as well.
I will make a list of all of the things aforementioned and go back for more thorough investigations.