Hobby phone or Google Voice app

Does anyone know exactly how the Google Voice app works? I just set it up on my cell and have a separate google voice number, but does anyone know if when you make a call or receive a call to/from your google voice number what shows on the cell bill? Is it the actual number, or a random non traceable number generated when google routes the call to or from your google voice number? Or does a number even show on the bill when texting or calling since it may just work through the data plan

This seems easier and free vs a hobby phone if thats how it works
I tried Google Voice a month ago, it seemed to work out all right, except it held my voice mail hostage. All voice mails went to Google Voice, my wife was asking why I changed my voice mail wtf! Not cool, it took an hour with Verizon even after I disabled Google Voice to get my regular voice mail back. I've returned to my trusty Trac Phone. Just wish it would work in Canada......
Been using GV on my PC and laptop since it came out and it works great for both text and calls in the US and Canada. At first it was linked to home phone. GV assigns you a GV # from anywhere you want be it in WNY or any other State you choose and you can change that GV # anytime you want.

Now GV is linked to my trusty hobby Trac Phone for text and calls. This extends the Trac Phone minutes for free. Trac Phone works calling Canada from the US and works in Canada if you are near, or just inside Canada near the border. You have to use an 800# Trac Phone provides, then call the Canadian # you want which works but is a pain in the butt when calling Canada.
Had the same problem with GV, minus the wife thing. I just use a blocked # now....so far, so good.
Cell bill shows random fake numbers.
Cell bill shows random fake numbers. Originally Posted by jokacz
Same thing happens on home phone and with all the computer generated telemarketer sales pitches coming in lately, made to bypass the 'Do Not Call Lists', they can be used as a cover story in case the wife wonders where these calls are from. Just never use your home phone or main cell to call/text SPs.
Been using GV on my PC and laptop since it came out and it works great for both text and calls in the US and Canada. At first it was linked to home phone. GV assigns you a GV # from anywhere you want be it in WNY or any other State you choose and you can change that GV # anytime you want.

Now GV is linked to my trusty hobby Trac Phone for text and calls. This extends the Trac Phone minutes for free. Trac Phone works calling Canada from the US and works in Canada if you are near, or just inside Canada near the border. You have to use an 800# Trac Phone provides, then call the Canadian # you want which works but is a pain in the butt when calling Canada. Originally Posted by Celso
Celso, hoping you can help, My Trac phone will not text Canadian numbers tells me an SMS error has occurred. do I have to use the same 800# as if your calling? Thanks Peter
Celso, hoping you can help, My Trac phone will not text Canadian numbers tells me an SMS error has occurred. do I have to use the same 800# as if your calling? Thanks Peter Originally Posted by Peterfitzintight
Only used that TracFone 800# for calling to Canada. Haven't tried it for text. For Text to Canada I use GV with a PC, then use that TracFone 800# for calls to Canada just after entering Canada to confirm.
Another option is spoofcard. You dial them and it dials target number and displays any number you wish in the caller id (which I use as my GV number) you can also disguise voice. May be useful for those creative out there
I tried Google Voice a month ago, it seemed to work out all right, except it held my voice mail hostage. All voice mails went to Google Voice, my wife was asking why I changed my voice mail wtf! Not cool, it took an hour with Verizon even after I disabled Google Voice to get my regular voice mail back. I've returned to my trusty Trac Phone. Just wish it would work in Canada...... Originally Posted by Perryay
I started using GV through an app called Talkatone for just this reason. After logging in, you have the ability to talk and text without engaging the phone's other functions. When I'm done, just remove the GV account from the app and history is mostly gone, still need to go back and erase some things though.

Calls use Wifi or phone's internet connection so no record on the phone's call logs.
There is another service out ther called line2 This one is a pay for service, it gives you a totally seperate number, but it resides as an app on your phone. youo can turn off all notifications, ringing etc so that the only time its used is when you activate teh app. Does not come on phone bill or have any type of tracing feature. Works well as a hobby phone.
Skype is another option. You buy minutes that are cheaper than TracFone and Skype works great in US and Canada. Downside is you need to use a laptop or netbook and a headset. Also your call will show up as private or unknown, unless you buy a Skype phone #.

But you can talk worldwide PC to PC with Skype for free.