Searching for the best tamales to buy for the holidays

I am having Christmas company this year, and wanted to include tamales in my line-up for dinner...

Anybody have some ideas?
I am having Christmas company this year, and wanted to include tamales in my line-up for dinner...

Anybody have some ideas? Originally Posted by runswithscissors
HEB has some homemade tamales.
Tamale house on airport.
runs,

If you happen to go to SA, go to Ruebens Homemade Tamales. They are great and worth the drive. You could make a nice little trip and see a SA gal too! Ever since the lady who we bought from passed away, I have yet to taste some that come close until now. My parents brought me some earlier today and I am going to slam that dozen by nightfall

sixx
I have a very funny feeling I am about to gain a lot of poundage! Several people have mentioned HEB tamales as being very good; I will taste test!

Will also try Tamale House, too..

Sixx; thanks for the info; I am actually going to SA on Friday, and I am definately taking your suggestion of mixing business with a little pleasure, and picking up some tamales as well...

I guess you could say I am having my tamale and eating it, too!
Unfortunately, I cannot remember the brand. I think Tia Rosas, maybe, I haven't bought them in a while.
Several people have mentioned HEB tamales as being very good; I will taste test! Originally Posted by runswithscissors
Central Market beef ancho tamales are very good if you intend on going with HEB. $10 per dozen. Not all HEB's carry them.

Sixx; thanks for the info; I am actually going to SA on Friday, and I am definately taking your suggestion of mixing business with a little pleasure, and picking up some tamales as well... Originally Posted by runswithscissors

Just an FYI for Friday. They are open till they sell out and there is a line. Similar to Franklins here in Austin as far popularity. From Thanksgiving through Xmas they only sell pork. That is what sells the most this time of year and it works for them. Prices were great, I think around 7 to 8 bucks a for a dozen.

Speaking of tamales, time to finish off that dozen

sixx
  • Sabor
  • 11-27-2011, 10:57 PM
El Modelo in Albuquerque, better than my Mothers and I say that grudgingly. cost about 25.00 per dozen but they are huge and they use shredded pork, not ground like most others. I go often enough to keep my freezer stocked so not sure if they ship but you can ask 505.242.1843. If you are ever there try their menudo or posole, also the best I have tasted and I have tasted many... I am going to cook one up right now.
I ate a combination plate at taqueria arandas . I took five shits the next day.
I know this is a late reply. I'm catching up on all my reading and post on this website, since my work has started to slowed to normal. I travel to San Antonio for work sometimes and the best tamales you will find is a place called Delicious tamales in SA. The place is in a bad area, but you won't find any better tamales. Co-worker turned me on to them and I would order 6 dozen and keep 5 dozens in the freezer. Two years ago I got 20 dozen for a Christmas party that included cheese, pork, beef, veggie, and a dessert tamale...all very good but the best was the pork.

Hope this helps for the future.