Reading A Book Too Young

I was pretty much illiterate until I was nearly 9, however, once the world of the written world was unfolded for me, it was like being able to see for the first time. I read veraciously, anything I could get my hands on - including product labels.

One of my earliest reads was The Lord of The Rings, soon followed by Count of Monte Cristo.

As a general rule I never re-read a book. There are too many books I want to read and it detracts from my ability to squeeze in one more into my life span.

There are however three books I'm determined to re-read.

The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings - I read it too young, and experienced only an exciting fantasy novel. However, in retrospect I suspect there are many hidden themes that went right over my head.

The Master and Margarita - There are so many levels to this book, every time I talk to someone who has read it, I hear a version I don't recall reading. So I want to read it again to see what hidden treasure I will find.

The Hitch Hikers Guide To The Galaxy - Another book layered with sarcastic themes, reading the series the first time around was highly entertaining. I'd love to see what I catch the second time around.

Have any of you felt that you read a book too young to appreciate it? Anything on the re-read list?
Put the Count on that re-read list
I am a fan on nonfiction..a fiction book has to be pretty special for me to even consider reading it. With that being said..my favorite book of all time is The Call of the Wild by Jack London. I believe that book ignited my wanderlust. We had to read it in high school. I have reread it once a year since then.
Lauren were you just in my den watching me? A few minutes ago I pulled out of my bookcase, " A Man in Full" by Tom Wolfe. I read it back in the 90's. I would like to read it again because I'm sure I will know about more of the Atlanta 'players' that he writes of.
I loved "Man in Full"
Lauren were you just in my den watching me? A few minutes ago I pulled out of my bookcase, The Man in Full by Tom Wolfe. I read it back in the 90's. I would like to read it again because I'm sure I will know about more of the Atlanta 'players' that he writes of. Originally Posted by Ansley
Just psychically attuned to hot, intelligent women
The Count of Monte Cristo is one of my favorite stories.

Like you, I don't re-read books. And nearly every time I see a movie of a book I have read, I am disappointed in the movie.

When I was in my early teens, I got into the habit of reading fat fiction books (by that I mean they had a lot of pages). Being young, passionate and impressionable, I was nearly transformed by Leon Uris' Exodus. I was ready to go fight.

Shortly after that, I became interested in Nazi atrocities and history and read Speer. But I also sank into a dark period when I read a series of books on torture (yes, including sexual torture). It became a compulsion to read as much of this as possible.

I think I read the Israeli/Nazi/torture books too early in life. No perspective at that age.
Shortly after that, I became interested in Nazi atrocities and history and read Speer. But I also sank into a dark period when I read a series of books on torture (yes, including sexual torture). It became a compulsion to read as much of this as possible.

I think I read the Israeli/Nazi/torture books too early in life. No perspective at that age. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
When I was a teen I liked to read about Dr. Joseph Mengele, Dr. Jack Kevorkian, Jeffery Dahmer, Albert Fish... I am truly surprised I turned about to be as sweet as I am! I still think that I was crazy for reading about them at such a young age. Looking back I think I was just very curious. I still am today and like to read about a variety of subjects.
Like you, I don't re-read books. And nearly every time I see a movie of a book I have read, I am disappointed in the movie. Originally Posted by charlestudor2005
Agreed. Exception: The Road. I think the movie NAILED that. I also think Lord of the Rings nailed Hobbits, Golem and the creature of Fire and Shadow. Alice in Wonderland totally nailed the Cheshire cat, and Tweedlede and Tweedledum.

I think I read the Israeli/Nazi/torture books too early in life. No perspective at that age.
An interesting admission on a board like this

I have a wonderful book on the History of Execution.
I think I was about 15 when I read Crime and Punishment. I wasn't nearly ready, and got a lot more out of it the next couple of times I read it.

For that matter, I was in my early thirties when I first read Don Quixote, and I got a lot more out of it when I re-read it recently. But that may also have been due to a better translation, not just a reader with more experience of life.
I think I was about 15 when I read Crime and Punishment. I wasn't nearly ready, and got a lot more out of it the next couple of times I read it.

For that matter, I was in my early thirties when I first read Don Quixote, and I got a lot more out of it when I re-read it recently. But that may also have been due to a better translation, not just a reader with more experience of life. Originally Posted by Chevalier
I intend to re-read Don Quixote, I started it in mid high school and exams took over and I never got back to it. As I never finished it, I don't count it as an actual re-read lol

Can you recommend a translation?
Can you recommend a translation? Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill
English.
Calculus, hell, I'm probably still too young.
Animal Farm. I read it when I was 9, home sick from school, and found the angry animals an amusing read.

When I was a teen I liked to read about Dr. Joseph Mengele, Dr. Jack Kevorkian, Jeffery Dahmer, Albert Fish... I am truly surprised I turned about to be as sweet as I am! I still think that I was crazy for reading about them at such a young age. Looking back I think I was just very curious. I still am today and like to read about a variety of subjects. Originally Posted by SarahAndFriends
I read The Stranger Beside Me and Helter Skelter before I could drive... I had nightmares for a good month. I still find such extreme behaviors performed by people, some with genius-level intelligences, quite interesting.
I intend to re-read Don Quixote, I started it in mid high school and exams took over and I never got back to it. As I never finished it, I don't count it as an actual re-read lol

Can you recommend a translation? Originally Posted by Lauren Summerhill
From a friend who is an English lit professor. There are about 20 translations into English going back to the 19th century.

The most popular translations are by:

Samuel Putnam
Walter Starkie
J.M. Cohen

There is a newer one by Edith Grossman (2003) that is also quite good.