What's one thing you can't live without?

There's an ole saying "Those whom usually got, usually are ones that are still" Originally Posted by Woody of TX
that ole saying has me puzzled

still as in quiet so no one knows they "got"?

still as in they still "got" when all around don't?

is it a comparative as in they just think they are poor because they are down to their last $20,000,000 or so when their neighbor doesnt have 20 bucks?
  • WTF
  • 02-02-2010, 08:39 AM
I was having trouble with that one as well.
i've lived without just about anything you can imagine. hit the road after 9 yrs in an orphange... after having been on the streets, had a gun pulled on me at 9 years old.. lost the vision in my right eye from abuse...had more fights than i can count... left with a little suitcase i was given for graduation and a man who worked there called me over and said..ive been saving something for you..he gave me two towels...yeah..well they had been donated and were so much better than anything we ever used....they had the inscription U.S. Navy in a blue field down a center stripe...i packed them up in the suitcase and i was gone...

i think i can live without just about any luxury you can think of but i don't want to live without family and friends if they count.
  • WTF
  • 02-02-2010, 08:51 AM

i think i can live without just about any luxury you can think of but i don't want to live without family and friends if they count. Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought

Come on now, if servants count, surely family and friends can count as at least 3/5th's!
At the risk of speaking for the thread starter (correct me if I'm offbase), the original intent of the thread was to share the one (or 2) thing(s) that really are non-essential, but if circumstances require(d) a change in lifestyle, you would still prioritize them at the expense of other items. In some cases others may look at the choice and think it is silly - for example the maid - most of us if we were broke would figure out how to clean our own flat - but that's why for NB is really is a luxury. The same with 1st class travel.

On the other hand, friends & family really don't count as a "luxury." Most of us/all of us would prioritize those relationships regardless of circumstance.
I've been trying to think of mine & I think I came up with it...

Car service to/from the airport
Car service to/from the airport Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Luxury for you, necessity for me.
  • WTF
  • 02-02-2010, 09:06 AM
At the risk of speaking for the thread starter (correct me if I'm offbase), the original intent of the thread was to share the one (or 2) thing(s) that really are non-essential, but if circumstances require(d) a change in lifestyle, you would still prioritize them at the expense of other items. In some cases others may look at the choice and think it is silly - for example the maid - most of us if we were broke would figure out how to clean our own flat - but that's why for NB is really is a luxury. The same with 1st class travel.
Originally Posted by atlcomedy
Where one prioritize things can lead directly to some broke ass circumstances! Put things in the wrong order and you can wind up broke quicker than a cat can lick her paws!

Listen to Dave Ramsey....he'll prioritize that 'maid', 'first class' crap right outcha yo ass!

Luxury for you, necessity for me. Originally Posted by Ansley
Ya'll aint got no bus service in Hotlanta?

I'm channelling Dave Ramsey as we speak
Business class is so yesterday. OTOH Emirates Air First Class suites .... Originally Posted by discreetgent
Give me a POD anyday......

Here's what I know. My mind, that's all I need to materialize and create the luxe life around me. Confidence in yourself is the one thing no one can take away if you hold on tight....KNOW that if your stripped, you CAN and WILL be back on top in no time...Your mind, intelligence, and intellect will physically create for you what you feel you deserve and want......

Yes I deserve to fly first class in Singapore air, no i don't feel guilty. I have worked my ass off in a corporate life for a long time..They had a tumble, I walked away, and here I am now...It won't be forever but it has kept me in the lifestyle I am accustomed too.

Woody- I wouldn't bet she will have too many falls, and if she does she feels strong in what she deserves....It is my feeling that you would have to pull her lifestyle out of her cold dead hands.... Because if she's anything like me, you roll with the punches, life throws you curve balls, but damn it you throw them back....It's not hard to make lemonade if you really know what it taste like.....appreciate it, and decide you want lemonade forever......
Come on now, if servants count, surely family and friends can count as at least 3/5th's! Originally Posted by WTF
now thats humorous
Ya'll aint got no bus service in Hotlanta?

I'm channelling Dave Ramsey as we speak Originally Posted by WTF
You can channel Dave all ya want but that won't put a bus service near me. Which I am very okay with.
  • WTF
  • 02-02-2010, 09:21 AM
....It's not hard to make lemonade if you really know what it taste like.....appreciate it, and decide you want lemonade forever...... Originally Posted by sofiaofhouston
I though it was pineapple we had to drink.

Good points sofia
  • WTF
  • 02-02-2010, 09:31 AM
You can channel Dave all ya want but that won't put a bus service near me. Which I am very okay with. Originally Posted by Ansley

Ole Dave just might advise you to move near a place with bus service!....'stead of spending all dat money.

I'm just saying what DR would say. I know him well enough to call him DR and channel what he would say.

http://xroads.virginia.edu/~ug97/remus/tar-baby.html

I'm just saying what DR would say. I know him well enough to call him DR and channel what he would say. Originally Posted by WTF
would he advise HDH's or say you can do it for yourself?
  • WTF
  • 02-02-2010, 09:47 AM
would he advise HDH's or say you can do it for yourself? Originally Posted by nevergaveitathought
Making money is just one part of the game. Spending less than you make is the hardest part!

Having what you save work for you is the most enjoyable.