Sweden and "Herd Immunity"

Swedes are usually the darlings of the liberals but in this case, they weren't a bunch of pussies about COVID-19 and have had considerably less authoritarian government mandated restrictions, but they are potentially approaching "herd immunity" in Stockholm.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/no-l...-in-weeks.html

If you protect the elderly you can open up the economy - and Sweden proves it.(though they wish they had done a better job of that)

This thing rarely kills healthy young people, notwithstanding a few tragic deaths here and there of youngsters. (far fewer than the number of traffic deaths owing solely to the propensity of youth to drive fast - we have all been there and done that!) We need to accept a few friendly causalities to prevent long term economic destruction and the deaths of despair and higher costs associated with that.

Perhaps they can send us some of their skinny young working girls over here to help us learn about herd immunity firsthand.
Swedes are usually the darlings of the liberals but in this case, they weren't a bunch of pussies about COVID-19 and have had considerably less authoritarian government mandated restrictions, but they are potentially approaching "herd immunity" in Stockholm.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/no-l...-in-weeks.html

If you protect the elderly you can open up the economy - and Sweden proves it.(though they wish they had done a better job of that)

This thing rarely kills healthy young people, notwithstanding a few tragic deaths here and there of youngsters. (far fewer than the number of traffic deaths owing solely to the propensity of youth to drive fast - we have all been there and done that!) We need to accept a few friendly causalities to prevent long term economic destruction and the deaths of despair and higher costs associated with that.

Perhaps they can send us some of their skinny young working girls over here to help us learn about herd immunity firsthand. Originally Posted by friendly fred
It's interesting, Sweden has been discussed in at least one thread here as having done it right along with South Korea, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.

Yet Sweden didn't take the same approach of authoritarian control like the others did.

Only hindsight is going to tell us what was the final correct approach.
It's interesting, Sweden has been discussed in at least one thread here as having done it right along with South Korea, Hong Kong, and Taiwan.

Yet Sweden didn't take the same approach of authoritarian control like the others did.

Only hindsight is going to tell us what was the final correct approach. Originally Posted by eccielover
I hope Sweden's approach is proven correct so we can open up the country much faster.
  • Tiny
  • 04-22-2020, 12:09 PM
I may add an extrapolation of Sweden's deaths to the Death Guess Game thread the next time I update. Right now they've had more deaths per capita than we have, but not a lot more.
I may add an extrapolation of Sweden's deaths to the Death Guess Game thread the next time I update. Right now they've had more deaths per capita than we have, but not a lot more. Originally Posted by Tiny
Sounds like a good idea.
This crap will be around forever.
Thus, the Herd immunity thing is the only thing that works.
Note that immunizations are a subset of herd immunity.
Just think of all the other crap that's been around and flare up from time to time. Rabies, smallpox, dengue, and a couple dozen more.
This crap will be around forever.
Thus, the Herd immunity thing is the only thing that works.
Note that immunizations are a subset of herd immunity.
Just think of all the other crap that's been around and flare up from time to time. Rabies, smallpox, dengue, and a couple dozen more. Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
Damn right!