Happy belated or early independence day

• CJ7
  • 07-04-2012, 02:02 AM
Who says July 4 is Independence Day?

The Founding Fathers didn't start the American Revolution that day, they didn't decide on independence that day and it's doubtful that many of them signed the Declaration of Independence that day.
The Revolution started April 19, 1775, with the battles of Lexington and Concord in Massachusetts. The Continental Congress approved its independence resolution July 2, 1776, inspiring John Adams to write that "the second of July … will be celebrated, by succeeding generations, as the great anniversary festival."
He was off by two days.
July 4 got all the credit because that's when Congress approved a weightier document, the Declaration of Independence. The declaration's first public reading was July 8 and the official signing ceremony was Aug. 2.
For some signers it took years for their signature to be attached. I don't understand your heartache unless you just like showing your ass to us. I think that most of us don't care to see your ass.

No one said that the war started that day except you. Could you say that the war started on 18 April, 1775 when the colonials took up arms. Yes, we look at 18 April as being the significant date and not the 19th. Maybe it is all about that Longfellow poem. Then again, the third Monday in April is celebrated as Patriots Day in those two burgs. Of course you could say something about the Boston Massacre or the Boston Tea Party but I know you don't like hearing things about Tea Parties.
Anyway, the 4th of July became an official federal holiday in 1870 to get with the program.
  • CJ7
  • 07-04-2012, 11:33 AM
seriously JLSD, how freaking stupid are you?

I post some interesting facts about our history and you and you tiny brain go off on some weak ass attack tangent.

youre a clown.

get a life.
Who says July 4 is Independence Day?

The Founding Fathers didn't start the American Revolution that day, they didn't decide on independence that day and it's doubtful that many of them signed the Declaration of Independence that day.
The Revolution started April 19, 1775, with the battles of Lexington and Concord in Massachusetts. The Continental Congress approved its independence resolution July 2, 1776, inspiring John Adams to write that "the second of July … will be celebrated, by succeeding generations, as the great anniversary festival."
He was off by two days.
July 4 got all the credit because that's when Congress approved a weightier document, the Declaration of Independence. The declaration's first public reading was July 8 and the official signing ceremony was Aug. 2. Originally Posted by CJ7
Thanks for posting, CJ7! Four years ago today, I was on a non-stop flight from Houston to Cleveland, Ohio. During the early evening hours, I personally witnessed a great display of American pride. Throughout America's heartland it was one constant fireworks display, as seen from above. It was a highly moving experience, that for a variety of reasons brought tears to my eyes.

I view July 4 as a symbolic birthday for America's freedom. That being the case, now is as good of a time as any to say:

"Happy Birthday America!"
I will happily pit my intelligence against that thing you call a brain anytime. I will try to be merciful.
Well, I think we should alternate the date each year so it falls on a Monday. This Holiday in the middle of the week sucks.

There isn't really anything particularilly special about July 4th. We could just as easilly say that Independence day will fall on the first Monday in July. It would be good for business, and good for workers who could plan a longer 3-day week end.

I am just being realistic.
Well, I think we should alternate the date each year so it falls on a Monday. This Holiday in the middle of the week sucks.

There isn't really anything particularilly special about July 4th. We could just as easilly say that Independence day will fall on the first Monday in July. It would be good for business, and good for workers who could plan a longer 3-day week end.

I am just being realistic. Originally Posted by Jackie S
Interesting. I will have to give that some thought!
I'm surprised you'd tear up at the thought of freedom, BigTurd. You are against freedom every time it comes up on this board. You're a fan of big, intrusive government. Certainly not freedom.
For some signers it took years for their signature to be attached. I don't understand your heartache unless you just like showing your ass to us. I think that most of us don't care to see your ass.

No one said that the war started that day except you. Could you say that the war started on 18 April, 1775 when the colonials took up arms. Yes, we look at 18 April as being the significant date and not the 19th. Maybe it is all about that Longfellow poem. Then again, the third Monday in April is celebrated as Patriots Day in those two burgs. Of course you could say something about the Boston Massacre or the Boston Tea Party but I know you don't like hearing things about Tea Parties.
Anyway, the 4th of July became an official federal holiday in 1870 to get with the program. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
like this one?
You are against freedom every time it comes up on this board. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Provide the link!
LOL! You know it's true. You post that way. Find your own damn link. LOL!

I read something today in the paper I thought was cool ..

When an American says that he loves his country, it means not only that he loves the New England hills, the prairies glistening in the sun, the wide and rising plains, the great mountains, and the sea. He means that he loves an inner air, an inner light in which freedom lives and and in which a man can draw the breath of self respect .

(That was my sentimental moment for the year & no picture lol) ..just thought Id share ....continue on Sandboxers
Beautiful, SnL! You are the class of the board.
Beautiful, SnL! You are the class of the board. Originally Posted by CuteOldGuy
Beautiful SOF! You are the ass(hole) of the board.