Hurricane Power outage picture

• NYr
  • 11-01-2012, 08:51 AM
Thought I would share in case you have not seen.
Attached Images File Type: jpg npPower.jpg (61.8 KB, 210 views)
NYr I hope your peeps are ok
If we can reduce the energy usage from that area for a few days, maybe the energy imports will be down?

Part of my glass half full approach to life.

I do remember a story, can't find it on google right now to see if it was true, where a nuclear powered aircraft carrier was brought to New York city and hooked up to power grid to power part of the city in a power outage. Would have been back in the 60s.

Granted, the problem this time is not just a generating issue, but the grid and power lines are down in many cases.
Wow.

I cannot tell you how awful I feel for those people. In 1994 I was in a flood and lost everything, even some of my beloved animals, and my house was condemned and eventually torn down. It is something you can't truly empathize with unless you've been through it, a hopelessness that seeps in deep and a stomach-churning anxiety about what's going to happen to you.

NBC and "Today" show host Matt Lauer have organized a fundraiser tomorrow night, an hour-long telethon with performances scheduled, so far, by Bruce Springsteen, Billy Joel, Jon Bon Jovi, Sting, and Christina Aguilera, but more will no doubt be added. I think they will be collecting for the Red Cross.

The RC and the Salvation Army were lifesavers for me and my wee furries in 1994, as we literally had nothing. Those organizations gave me vouchers for furniture, food, blankets, and clothing.

I have to thank a friend with the Coast Guard who came in to pull me and my critters out of the flooded area. Back then, rescue workers would NOT take pets, something that has, thankfully, changed as society has come to recognize how much a part of the family pets are, and how important they are to the emotional recovery of the owners.

Anyway, I highly encourage everyone to watch and donate.
  • Stag
  • 11-01-2012, 11:06 AM
I volunteered for disaster relief after Katrina and Rita 2005, and I wound up driving to Beaumont during the night right after Rita. All the power was out for many, many miles around the Beaumont area, and the cloud cover blocked out pretty much all of the moonlight. It is difficult to explain how disorienting and emotionally disturbing it is to be completely without electric lights when we've gotten so used to seeing where we are at all times of the night. NYr, I know some of your chums must be feeling a little of this, and they're in our thoughts.
NYr, where did you find that image?
pretty amazing.

another reminder that nature should never be underestimated!!! tornadoes, landslides, volcanoes, hurricanes/typhoons, etc. are way more powerful than any person, state, nation!!

and with today's communication and transportation capabilities, people can help out in so many ways.

i send them compassion and energy and financial assistance.
In my opinion it will be like that for a while. I can't imagine what they are all going through. I read this morning that they are going to have the New York Marathon this Sunday.
Its a fake picture, sorry to dissapoint all of you
Its a fake picture, sorry to dissapoint all of you Originally Posted by midgetwrestler
Its a fake picture, sorry to dissapoint all of you Originally Posted by midgetwrestler
Fake or not does detract from the devastation
yeah fake pic... midtown Manhattan had power with a mix of outages.... my office and our other buildings at 270 and 277 park ave have power and even our office down on pine st@ wall street has power,,,,(but no people lol) its the burbs where the crap hit the fan
If we can reduce the energy usage from that area for a few days, maybe the energy imports will be down?

Part of my glass half full approach to life.

I do remember a story, can't find it on google right now to see if it was true, where a nuclear powered aircraft carrier was brought to New York city and hooked up to power grid to power part of the city in a power outage. Would have been back in the 60s.

Granted, the problem this time is not just a generating issue, but the grid and power lines are down in many cases. Originally Posted by tigercat
I question your time frame here. At the time you mention the only nuclear carrier in commission was the Enterprise and it was pretty well occupied in a little conflagration in Southeast Asia.

c.a.