Does Anyone have a good steak rub they would like to share ?

Ok, I usually just do the sea salt, and fresh ground pepper and a little bit of garlic powder.

But since we have so many people on this board would anyone like to share their secrets ?

I love a good steak and would like to try something different.

Please don't say Italian dressing
I know it's pedestrian, but I've used and enjoy the different rubs that McCormick and/or Kroger produce. I also recently picked up some some Grace Jamaican Dried Jerk seasoning at Krogers in the foreign foods aisle. I combine a little of it with a regular rub and it adds a spicy sweetness to the finished effort.

I use the Italian dressing and whatever else comes to hand when I'm creating a marinade. That usually is just spice shelf sweepings and leftover wine to taste.
Joe's Stone Crab in Las Vegas has the best spice mix I've ever had, but it's more a dip. You dip your steak in the run and then eat it. I've never figured out everything in it, but they have for sure, cracked black, green and white pepper corns, kosher salt, garlic powder and other stuff. It is amazing.
Unwrap steaks and lightly rinse them under cold water then place on a platter.

Cracked or Coarse Black Pepper liberally.

1/4 to 1/3 as much Coarse Sea Salt as the Black Pepper used above.

1 minced garlic clove per pound divided evenly for each steak.

3-4 thin stripes (pinches) of Cayenne Pepper on each steak.

2-3 thin stripes (pinches) of Paprika on each steak.

Massage/rub into steak then turn over and repeat.

You can stop here or continue but I like a light "marinade" added to the above.

1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
a little less than 1/4 cup of soy sauce
1/2 cap of liquid smoke

Combined in one large zip lock bag per steak. Place the steaks in the bags and massage the entire treatment into the steak. A marinade implies time but I usually let my steaks sit like this an hour max. (Turning over once at the halfway point) I give them one more massage, remove them to a platter and then brush olive oil on each side.

My grill will be between 400-420 when I place my steaks. I usually have 1-1 1/2 inch cuts and leave them down for 6-7 minutes before turning over for another 5-6 minutes. This give me a nice medium rare steak. Note that you'll need a water bottle because the olive oil will catch fire when your fat drips.

*You can substitute melted butter for the olive oil and get the same result.

**Garlic substitute if needed: Don't use garlic salt! Please use garlic butter in place of the olive oil if you can't use minced garlic.

***Don't knock it until you try it!
a good choice or prime steak does not need any rubs except a little sea salt

30+ years in the meat business
Take a clove of garlic for each steak. Poke around on each steak and find the pockets of fat. It's easier to do with a ribeye than a sirloin, but both will work. Make a cut about half the depth of the meat into the fat and then slice a thin cut of a fresh clove of garlic to fit into the pocket created by the cut. Continue until you have liberally studded each steak with 6 - 10 pieces of garlic -- about one clove per steak. Then sprinkle both sides of each steak with fresh ground black pepper and salt (preferably sea salt or a flavorful salt like Hawaiian lava salt). Then take the barest pinch of cayenne pepper between your thumb and forefinger and sprinkle one pinch on each side of the steak. (Alternatively, you can use a Tobasco compound butter on the steaks after they are finished.)
I usually don't put a rub on my steaks for grilling but when I smoke steaks, I use Harley's:

www.harleysseasoning.com

I use it on my ribs too.
I got some fabulous filets in Iowa ....and dont use any type rub or marinade ......and they are very very good ....I do have some rub however that my son mixed up for us to use and it is great but he wont give out the recipe ......even to his parents ......
  • Lanny
  • 06-01-2010, 10:04 AM
First of all....sear the meat at high flame for about a minute on each side....this seals in natural juices and goes a LONG way towards preventing dryness....

Baste steaks with a solution of equal parts liquid smoke and worcestershire sauce....baste right after searing....

Coat each side of meat with Montreal Steak Seasoning immediately after basting with above solution (helps seasoning adhere to meat).....

I like to baste with solution at least one more time after seasoning is applied....

IMPORTANT: Do Not forget to turn flame down, or better yet turn one side of grill off, while placing meat on opposite of side with flame on (Medium Heat). This indirect cooking method will cook steak thru without drying out.

This technique is easy, and adds some flavor to outside of meat, without overpowering natural juices/taste of meat...Which you most definitely DONT want to do (IMHO), especially if you started with a qualtiy piece of meat in the first place...

Happy Grilling, and above works very well on burgers
as well.....

Lanny