The More Things Change, the More Things Stay the Same

Especially with conservabots.....same tired old Republican arguments that were used decades ago against Social Security and Medicare are pretty much identical to the arguments used today against the ACA. All of it based on fear, lies and bizarre paranoia.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/gop-...dicare-freedom

>>>The intense conservative ire for Obamacare may seem like an anomaly in American history. But it's eerily reminiscent of two other large -- and now widely popular -- expansions of the safety net: Social Security and Medicare.

The two programs are now a staple of American political culture. But a backward glance at the political environment during their inception reveals equally fierce, ugly antipathy from conservatives -- including screaming warnings that they'd be ruinous to freedom.

During the 1935 debate over Social Security, Republicans likened it to slavery and dictatorship.

"Never in the history of the world has any measure been brought here so insidiously designed as to prevent business recovery, to enslave workers and to prevent any possibility of the employers providing work for the people," said Rep. John Taber (R-NY).

"The lash of the dictator will be felt," said Rep. Daniel Reed (R-NY), "and 25 million free American citizens will for the first time submit themselves to a fingerprint test."
Rep. James W. Wadsworth (R-NY) cautioned that passage of Social Security would open the door to a government power "so vast, so powerful as to threaten the integrity of our institutions and to pull the pillars of the temple down upon the heads of our descendants."

Three decades later, when Medicare was first conceived in the early 1960s, the public was deeply divided, and similar warnings were voiced. Embodying the conservative movement's sentiments at the time was Ronald Reagan, who taped a recording on behalf of the American Medical Association warning that the program would, quite simply, lead to the destruction of freedom.

"If Medicare passes into law, the consequences will be dire beyond imagining," Reagan said. If opponents failed to scuttle it, he warned, "One of these days you and I are going to spend our sunset years telling our children, and our children’s children, what it once was like in America when men were free."

Republican presidential nominee Barry Goldwater, in 1964, likened Medicare to free vacations and beer. "Having given our pensioners their medical care in kind," he said, "why not food baskets, why not public housing accommodations, why not vacation resorts, why not a ration of cigarettes for those who smoke and of beer for those who drink?"

Half a century later, Republicans loudly and proudly proclaim their support for both programs, and are loathe to admit their party ever opposed them.

But history repeats itself. In 2010, Democrats passed the Affordable Care Act -- the largest expansion of the safety net since Medicare -- following a similarly intense debate. Democrats heralded it as a step toward a more humane society, and Republican opponents warned it would pose a grave threat to economic freedom. Unlikely Social Security and Medicare, Obamacare failed to win over even a fraction of Republicans, who were reduced a small, deeply ideological rump in both chambers of Congress after two landslide elections for Democrats.

This week, Obamacare took a leap toward sustainability as it crossed the milestone of 7 million insurance sign-ups. Even as conservative wonks concede that the program is probably here to stay, the residue from the hyper-partisan and polarizing debate lingers, and Republicans remain committed to dismantling it. But if past is prologue, over time as the coverage expansion and benefits fully take effect, the fatalistic warnings will fizzle and Republicans will come to terms with the new health care program.

"In politics, losses always worry people more than abstract future gains entice them. Now, every vote to repeal or eviscerate Obamacare risks offending millions – and the potential to arouse pushback will only grow," argued Theda Skocpol, a Harvard professor, sociologist and liberal author. "This story isn’t like Social Security, where most potential beneficiaries saw few gains for two decades. Affordable Care is already a massive presence in U.S. health care. It cannot be rolled back and those who keep championing that Lost Cause will do so at rising political peril."
"One of these days you and I are going to spend our sunset years telling our children, and our children’s children, what it once was like in America when men were free."

Good point, TimmyBoy
Could it be, Little Timmy-tard, that the GOP knew what it was talking about? Because even Odumbo admits -- though you choose to ignore -- those programs are economically destabilizing the ship of state.

Reality Check: Odumbo Cuts Social Security and Medicare by Much More Than the GOP

"Odumbo plans to cut between $200 billion and $380 billion more from Social Security and Medicare than Republicans in the next ten years....

"[H]ere's the bottom line: Obama preserves federal Medicaid spending, he doesn't unwind Obamacare, and he spends much more on mandatory and non-defense discretionary programs than Ryan proposed. But his cuts to Social Security and Medicare combined are somewhere between $200 billion and $380 billion deeper than the GOP budget. On these programs there is no room to "compromise." The president is already to the right of the right."
http://www.theatlantic.com/business/...he-gop/274919/

To preserve our long-term fiscal health, we must also address the growing costs in Medicare and Social Security. Comprehensive health care reform is the best way to strengthen Medicare for years to come. And we must also begin a conversation on how to do the same for Social Security, while creating tax-free universal savings accounts for all Americans.” Odumbo, Tuesday, February 24th, 2009.

On Message: Who Wants To Cut Social Security?

The president's $3.77 trillion fiscal 2014 budget plan is expansive. But the part getting the most attention is his proposal to change the way the government calculates inflation using a measure known in economics-speak as chained CPI.

Much of the initial reaction was predictable. Liberal Democrats hate the idea, because it amounts to a gradual cut in Social Security benefits over time...

"I don't believe that all these ideas are optimal, but I am willing to accept them as a compromise," Odumbo added, after releasing his budget proposal on Wednesday.
http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolit...ocial-security
The cry is "you can fuck the poor and the unemployed, but don't touch my entitlements"
Someone yearning for an America where men are free? Sounds like you're looking for a sugar baby!
EVA, you dumb ass, a rich person can pay for their own healthcare and insurance. It is the poor that are getting killed by Obamacare. They are not getting hired because the jobs are not being created by employers looking to protect their companies (theirs and not Obamas). Forget the shit about a subsidy. Only some people qualify. You truly are a kool aid drining moron of the masters grade.

It also seems to me that Medicare and Social Security are on the edge of insolvency which means the GOP was right...again. And if having to vote for democrats to protect your social security is not slavery then I don't know what is.

By the way, 5/6ths of the GOP voted FOR social security you lying shit of shit.
In the House 1/5 of the democrats voted AGAINST Medicare you sniveling piece of offal.
EVA, you dumb ass, a rich person can pay for their own healthcare and insurance. It is the poor that are getting killed by Obamacare. They are not getting hired because the jobs are not being created by employers looking to protect their companies (theirs and not Obamas). Forget the shit about a subsidy. Only some people qualify. You truly are a kool aid drining moron of the masters grade.

It also seems to me that Medicare and Social Security are on the edge of insolvency which means the GOP was right...again. And if having to vote for democrats to protect your social security is not slavery then I don't know what is.

By the way, 5/6ths of the GOP voted FOR social security you lying shit of shit.
In the House 1/5 of the democrats voted AGAINST Medicare you sniveling piece of offal. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn

I was talking about you simple Jack.
Insults. for a change.

try shooting at the target for a change. You silly fucks respond with irrelevancy. 6/6 of you do anyway....
EVA, if I had your intellectual prowess I would jump in the ocean. I guess you're the proof that ignorance IS bliss.
I guess I am the proof that ignorance IS bliss. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Great self analysis, JD Idiot!
EVA, if I had your intellectual prowess I would jump in the ocean. I guess you're the proof that ignorance IS bliss. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
You are so fucking dumb you couldn't identify the ocean. It is why you were in the Navy so they would lead you there.
You really have a problem having an original thought don't you. You put out these talking points written by someone else and when you have to write something above is what we get. You're just a fraud.
You really have a problem having an original thought don't you. You put out these talking points written by someone else and when you have to write something above is what we get. You're just a fraud. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
LMAO you are the talking point expert. If it wasn't for posting someone else thoughts you would be a blank. Your fucked..
Point proven...thanks a load EVA.
Point proven...thanks a load EVA. Originally Posted by JD Barleycorn
Glad you verified Judy Dense AKA the nutty professor. I was suprised you would own up to it.