Ph.D or stop at MBA Finance

Just wanted y’all’s opinion. I’m thinking of pursuing a Ph.D in Finance. I just want it for 2 reasons: 1. No one else in my family’s history (small family lol) has a Ph.D 2. I want to have the professional title Dr. (Last name). It’s mostly for the second reason. What do you all think?
No. It won’t make you any money so what’s the point aside from vanity. Take the MBA, make money and you have all the vanity you want.
Got the MBA already. But thanks for the info. One vote for no so far…
I would say it largely depends on what you intend to do career wise. If your intent is to work in management, finance or otherwise, I'd go for the MBA and spend the extra couple years making money. On the other hand, if you intend to do research or teach at the university level, then I'd recommend going for the Ph.D.

Obviously, neither of the above speaks to vanity or being the first in one's family to accomplish a given level of education, so I have no opinion on either of these two variables.

essayman
Go for the PhD if your heart is into the program.If you later find out you do not desire it, you will be able to find job and have that experience and knowledge.
CPA is more attractive jobwise.
  • al504
  • 03-09-2022, 08:57 PM
Follow your dream, Become Dr. Rick