Alternatives to Hobby Phone

Hey everyone:

Ok great information was provided on chat tonight. Perhaps I have missed previous threads on the topic. But for some of us who have missed this info...would the wise ones please share.

I was recently turned onto Google Voice and I love it!! Frees me from having 2 phones; personal and hobby.

Here's the deal: after I downloaded the google voice app, a regular of mine received a text from my personal number. AND a friend of mine received a text from my work number!!!!!

Some guidance here please. What is google voice? Why is it beneficial? How likely is it that numbers cross? I heard google voice can take over.

And what is blackbook?
http://itunes.apple.com/app/my-littl...295745626?mt=8
I thought of downloading google voice since I carry 4 different phones. Thought it will helpful, but well, I guess I must rethink about it.
Shiloh, I have been using google voice for years, since before Google bought it when it was called "Grand Central". Perhaps your settings are messed up. Take a look in your phone settings and google voice settings and make sure that it's set to always ask you which number you want to text and call from. This automatically pops up any time I dial or text a number.

I also have both of my voicemails set to the standard greeting so that if it were to ever happen that a client is somehow switched over to my regular voicemail that it isn't a tell-tale sign that he received my real number.

I don't think it's happened but maybe once or twice ever and I was glad I had both voicemails set accordingly. It usually happens if I'm on my google voice number with someone, and someone tries to call my google voice number, and I don't answer it, it will go to my regular #'s voicemail. They never hear my phone number. They only hear the standard greeting.

Make sure not to set your google voice and phone settings to always show and ring out or text out your google voice number. Make sure it always asks you first. I believe this would be in your phone's settings, while you're installing the google voice app on your phone.

To make sure the settings are correct (if you have an android - this is what I have), just open your google voice app, tap menu, then your settings will pop up. The first setting would be "Do not disturb", then "Making calls" Make sure that "Making calls" is sett to "ask every time I make a call".

I hope that helps. If not, just email me and we can figure out what's going on with the settings.
  • Rezo
  • 12-25-2011, 11:19 PM
Be sure and check the settings like Tori mentioned. When you install the Google Voice app onto you smartphone it will want to fully integrate with your phone and this is might be something you don't actually want it to do.

You have to be careful when you start a new text because it will likely prompt whether to send the text using your Google Voice app or Messaging. If you don't pay attention you might send the txt msg out through the wrong service than intended.

a somewhat recent thread about GV in Technical Questions

quick overview to setting up GV app on Android and iPhone