Shouldn't virus cases fall since the mask orders?

Something isn't adding up here. It's been at least a month since mask use has been mandatory in most places in the United States.....but the case count is *allegedly* going up.

I'm not sure who is behind this, or why, but someone has got to be cooking the books.
Wait !!

Could it be ?

Another Conspiracy Theory and Hoax from the Chumps ??
  • oeb11
  • 08-04-2020, 12:19 PM
No - its' from Seattle, LA, SFRan, Chicago, DC, Minneapolis, and NYshitty.
  • Tiny
  • 08-04-2020, 12:40 PM
Something isn't adding up here. It's been at least a month since mask use has been mandatory in most places in the United States.....but the case count is *allegedly* going up.

I'm not sure who is behind this, or why, but someone has got to be cooking the books. Originally Posted by Lou Spowells
Well here's part of your answer:

I don't use masks or condoms. Covid19 is a hyped up hoax. Originally Posted by Lou Spowells
A lot of people aren't wearing them or aren't wearing them correctly despite the mandate.

Let's look at what happened in Texas.

July 3 - Abbott's mask mandate goes into effect

July 16 - Daily new cases peak at about 15,000

August 2 - 6226 new cases
August 3 - 5303 new cases

Given there's about an average 5 day incubation period for Covid, a little more time before the person gets the test, and then up to a week or more before results are available, it makes perfect sense that the peak would have occurred a couple of weeks after the mandate went into effect.

And then you see a large decrease in daily new cases from the peak until now.

This is one possible interpretation, and I may be wrong. The number of daily cases reported is very erratic. But in another week or two we may have a better idea of how well the mandate is working.
On July 2nd, Gov. Abbott required face masks throughout most of Texas. Two weeks later Texas reached its highest level of NEW COVID 19 cases, 14,916. Yesterday there were 5,303 new cases. There have been ups and downs but the highest it's been since July 17th is 9,879 on July 22nd. Hopefully the number will continue its downward trend.

Florida has been much more lax on requiring face masks. They had a high of 15,300 new cases on July 12th. Until yesterday Florida had not gotten under 8,892 new cases in a single day. Yesterday was at 4,752.

So if you look at the daily averages, Texas has been somewhat better in preventing new COVID 19 cases. It will be interesting to watch these 2 states of similar size in the near future as to new COVID 19 cases.

New York has seen its numbers drop dramatically and stay at a very low level (531 new cases yesterday) and instituted a strict mask requirement since April.
  • Tiny
  • 08-04-2020, 12:52 PM
On July 2nd, Gov. Abbott required face masks throughout most of Texas. Two weeks later Texas reached its highest level of NEW COVID 19 cases, 14,916. Yesterday there were 5,303 new cases. There have been ups and downs but the highest it's been since July 17th is 9,879 on July 22nd. Hopefully the number will continue its downward trend.

Florida has been much more lax on requiring face masks. They had a high of 15,300 new cases on July 12th. Until yesterday Florida had not gotten under 8,892 new cases in a single day. Yesterday was at 4,752.

So if you look at the daily averages, Texas has been somewhat better in preventing new COVID 19 cases. It will be interesting to watch these 2 states of similar size in the near future as to new COVID 19 cases.

New York has seen its numbers drop dramatically and stay at a very low level (531 new cases yesterday) and instituted a strict mask requirement since April. Originally Posted by SpeedRacerXXX
Great minds think alike.

If you include city and county mandates, has Florida really been that much laxer? From this, I see several mask mandates in major cities going into effect around the end of June:

https://floridapolitics.com/archives...ace-in-florida

And the peak occurring on July 12:

https://www.google.com/search?q=flor...hrome&ie=UTF-8
  • oeb11
  • 08-04-2020, 01:52 PM
Such short memories the DPST's have - Remember that Comrade Xi directed teh release of the virus from wuhan China???
No - DPST's don't want to remember how their magnanimous comrade Xi acted.

m wants to worship Comrade Xi and marxism from the burrow.

I'm not sure who is behind this, or why, but someone has got to be cooking the books. Originally Posted by Lou Spowells
You ask who's behind it? I'll give you a hint, it's Government. No matter what the restrictions, how intensely they are followed the numbers will go up. In fact today in the State of Louisiana the first Dog in the State tested positive for Coronavirus. You'll start hearing about Family pets testing positive for Coronavirus. Caronaviruses do infect animals Dogs, even Cattle can contract a Coronavirus but that doesn't mean they can infect people. But we will soon find out from the so called experts that Family pets can exchange corona to their human counterparts. This is all done on purpose, by design to keep the masses dumb and in compliance.
Well here's part of your answer:

A lot of people aren't wearing them or aren't wearing them correctly despite the mandate. In Houston, compliance is high. And it's been that way for a months. I even see many people alone in cars wearing them. Especially Asian women.

Let's look at what happened in Texas.

July 3 - Abbott's mask mandate goes into effect

July 16 - Daily new cases peak at about 15,000

August 2 - 6226 new cases
August 3 - 5303 new cases

Given there's about an average 5 day incubation period for Covid, a little more time before the person gets the test, and then up to a week or more before results are available, it makes perfect sense that the peak would have occurred a couple of weeks after the mandate went into effect. 5 day? I thought it was 12 day.

And then you see a large decrease in daily new cases from the peak until now. Only deaths matter. In Texas again Dallas county reported 1 death yesterday and Tarrant county 0 deaths.

This is one possible interpretation, and I may be wrong. The number of daily cases reported is very erratic. But in another week or two we may have a better idea of how well the mandate is working. Originally Posted by Tiny
Which mandate? Destroy your business? 6 feet distance which hardly anyone is following? Wear a mask that has marginal effectiveness? Clean flat surfaces that seems to have gone by the wayside? Wash your hands? Total shutdown for two weeks so we can "reset?" Don't send kids to school?
  • Tiny
  • 08-04-2020, 04:28 PM
I thought it was 12 day. Originally Posted by gnadfly
According to the CDC, 2 days to 14 days with 5 days being typical.

Only deaths matter. In Texas again Dallas county reported 1 death yesterday and Tarrant county 0 deaths. Originally Posted by gnadfly
The mandate went into effect a month ago, so it may be too early to see the effect on death rates. I've got no idea whether the time line in the link below represents good estimates. But, assuming a 5 day incubation period before symptoms appear, they say death can take anywhere from 19 days to 75 days from exposure.

https://elemental.medium.com/from-in...s-199e266fd018

If this is correct, we wouldn't be to peak deaths yet.

The IHME forecast which was harshly criticized here for being too pessimistic around April or May, but which turned out to be wildly optimistic, predicted peak deaths would occur in Texas on August 14 when it was last updated, around July 26. That's IF universal masking occurs. And universal masking isn't occurring where I live. It's defined as 95% compliance.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...-america/texas

Which mandate? Destroy your business? 6 feet distance which hardly anyone is following? Wear a mask that has marginal effectiveness? Clean flat surfaces that seems to have gone by the wayside? Wash your hands? Total shutdown for two weeks so we can "reset?" Don't send kids to school? Originally Posted by gnadfly
I favor a mandate for masks and strong encouragement to distance and wash hands. Cleaning surfaces isn't a bad idea either. That's the best way to avoid mandates to destroy peoples' businesses, totally shut down, etc.

The IHME link above has a forecast for an "easing" scenario, which I believe is the one you favor. At the end of their forecast, on November 1, they show 348 estimated deaths. (For comparison, about 600 people used to die in Texas on an average day.) On October 20, they show Texas being short 4200 hospital beds and 1600 ICU beds. If they're right and if we "ease", whatever that means, Abbott etal probably are going to shut down businesses and schools again.

The cost and hassle of wearing masks, maintaining social distance, and washing your hands is insignificant compared to the cost of jobs and businesses lost if we don't do that.
  • oeb11
  • 08-04-2020, 06:39 PM
Tiny - i agree with your philosphy on teh matter - I hope U are correct.

Another totla economic shutdown would be a boon for the Marxist DPST's and a blow for Freedom of the country.

regardless - the Wuhan virus is out of the box - it will go through the population of America nd the world - the question is how quickly.

Hopefully the measures you mention will help slow it down.
  • Tiny
  • 08-04-2020, 07:28 PM
Tiny - i agree with your philosphy on teh matter - I hope U are correct.

Another totla economic shutdown would be a boon for the Marxist DPST's and a blow for Freedom of the country.

regardless - the Wuhan virus is out of the box - it will go through the population of America nd the world - the question is how quickly.

Hopefully the measures you mention will help slow it down. Originally Posted by oeb11
Oeb, Have you become more optimistic about our chances of having a widely available vaccine before we get close to herd immunity? Regardless, I don't see how we loose by wearing masks, social distancing and washing hands frequently. If a safe, effective vaccine comes along reasonably quickly and people will take it, then you'll end up with many fewer people infected in the long term. And if not, as you say, you slow the spread. You also unburden the health care system and potentially avoid shutdowns.
No because hygiene falls especially when you have to go look around the side walk to pick up a mask, or you smell someone has not had bath in 3 lifetimes.