RIP Chuck Noll

One of the greatest ever. As a Dallas fan in the hey day of the Cowboys he was a legend I loved to hate. A great loss for all NFL fans...
thanks for the post tex

.....only coach that say he won 4 super bowls..........a great, if not the greatest coach football has seen, didnt get the attention of ego minded coaches such as madden, or walsh or shula but he didnt mind
he let his record speak for him

rip chuck...........steeler nation has lost a great man
Where the hell is Steve with the obit?
Where the hell is Steve with the obit? Originally Posted by amishgangster
I'm worried, Steve didn't post one on Indys yet. I'll call the Hooker Hotline, maybe they can dig something up. Knoll never got the noteriety as other great coaches. He wanted it that way. There was none any better.
Knoll was the master. RIP..... IMHO his best coaching job was the 76 season. No super bowl that season but he pushed through adversity to win and dominate until fate conspired against him. He was one hell of a teacher, talent scout, motivator, and game planner.
  • Devo
  • 06-14-2014, 10:50 AM
I became a fan in 72 at the age of nine, when my uncle took me to summer camp for a promotional gig with Sunoco dealers, they gave away books with player stamps to be filled in, and you got free stamps at every fillup. I had THOUSANDS of those stamp books and never filled the steeler team pages.

We also got to go down on the field, and I still have some very up close slides of the players, and the coaches one of Chuck a few feet away as he walked off the field.

Remember, this was prior to the "Immaculate Reception" and the Steelers at that time weren't even considered a hot team, let alone stars, so, there wasn't the mania with them at that time as there was later.

I went on and did 6 years of Jr, and Sr High School Football, and say what you will about it, it was like military boot camp for 6 falls in a row, and it forever changed me, and how I felt about myself, going from a little kid to a tough ass motherfucker who went out and hurt people for pleasure and glory, but walked away and shook hands with them at the end of every game.

I can't say how much having a star team and players in Pittsburgh meant to me, but it put us on the map, and it created what is now the Steeler Nation, and the sense of pride we and I have in our area.

Its not just Steelers anymore, its more than that, but, you have to look back at Chuck Knoll and his players, and say, really say, they were the Fathers that birthed a resurgent pride in Pittsburgh, and Western PA, and helped make all of us, part of what we are today.

Thanks Chuck.
  • Devo
  • 06-14-2014, 10:53 AM
Knoll was the master. RIP..... IMHO his best coaching job was the 76 season. No super bowl that season but he pushed through adversity to win and dominate until fate conspired against him. He was one hell of a teacher, talent scout, motivator, and game planner. Originally Posted by OMGitsHuge
Yes, not like the bullshit call that led to Tom Brady and the ahem "Patriots" win in the super bowl the year after 911 happened.

I always thought that was a rigged season btw.

A great team for the 200th anniversary of our independence.
Its Chuck Noll guys not knoll
Its Chuck Noll guys not knoll Originally Posted by chizzy
OMG.................. I'm such an idiot.
  • Devo
  • 06-15-2014, 06:49 AM
Fucking Grammar Nazi, you know what we maent.
Anybody seen Steve? I'm starting to get worried...maybe he's holed up with Chesty somewhere
Steve is still trying to hitch a ride home from Belmont after placing all his money on CC to win.
  • Devo
  • 06-15-2014, 12:02 PM
Charlotte Carrington was in a horse race?

Thats a bit strange....
Charlotte Carrington was in a horse race?

Thats a bit strange.... Originally Posted by Devo
Well she is THM...... ...... but in this case CC was referencing California Chrome.