Any backyard gardeners in this area?

For the past couple of years, I've made half-hearted attempts at backyard gardening and growing herbs that are relatively easy, such as rosemary and mint.

I've really experienced limited success even with simple plants such squash and cucumbers.

This year, I'm serious!!!

So any suggestions would be appreciated. Class suggestions. Websites. Soil prep suggestions. Timing, etc.

I've considered purchasing one of those gardening container thingies. I'll post an example of what I mean here in a moment.

I've also purchased a couple of felt container planters for potatoes, which I think that I need to start with those at the end of February. Also, onions, right?

Thanks for any suggestions. Didn't know exactly how to phrase this topic and so ... just throwing thoughts out there.

Hugs,
Elisabeth
Was considering purchasing something along these lines to give myself more planting space plus, keep it off the ground away from animals, etc.

Wouldn't mind a few opinions. Thanks.
Attached Images File Type: jpg white gardening container.jpg (44.1 KB, 364 views)
You might want to see if you can find one with wheels. That way in case of high winds or hard rain storms, you can bring it into a safe spot.
You might want to see if you can find one with wheels. That way in case of high winds or hard rain storms, you can bring it into a safe spot. Originally Posted by WalkerTx
That's a very good suggestion. Also, having wheels would make it much easier to move, as needed.

Thank you!!!
Hello Mrs. Whispers,
I've been known to have a green thumb and a huge part of my success is timing. The farmers Almanac has a "best days" section. Make sure you plant accordingly. You should see a difference.
I'm ordering the 2017 Farmer's Almanac on Amazon here in a few minutes. I'm pretty surprised how relatively inexpensive it is, which is helpful.

Thanks for the suggestion!!!

Also, I've started looking on Dallas meetups. Might find some informational meetings on there as well.

Sure do wish that I had the room for a few backyard chickens!!! Love chickens, in theory.

Ahhhh ... maybe another lifetime.

Back to planning my simple garden.
  • L.A.
  • 02-14-2017, 04:49 PM
I started "hobby" gardening a few years ago. For the first couple of years I actually bought seeds, grow lights, etc. It was fun but messy and didn't really have a good place to keep it. I had seeds for various peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, and broccoli. You'd start with them about right now and then after April 1st you can usually transplant them.

Lately I just purchase the plants and Lowes or Home Depot usually will have a nice little sale. It's so much easier to do it that way but there is also something satisfying about planting seeds. I really just plant tomatoes, peppers, and maybe 1 cucumber as that's what I like the best. I made a couple of little box gardens and I would mix something like 6 bags of topsoil to 1 bag of compost (If I remember that right). Fun stuff! Nothing major but it kept me busy and buried in peppers and tomatoes.

Garden.jpg
I used to victory garden heavy in the Midwest... I don't think I bought a tomato, pepper, cucumber, zucchini or radish for 5 years!

In Seattle I has a great rose garden, some of the most awesome Don Juan's and JFK's around.

Texas, I tried it a few times - the bugs are too aggressive. Raised planters are probably the way to go. Herbs go a long way, and you cam even find some hanging tomato plants that would do well. (But avoid heirlooms, and go for medium sized hybrids)

Good luck.

(When you said "Back yard gardeners" I thought this was about anal - only reason I stopped)
  • grean
  • 02-14-2017, 06:08 PM
EW does anal?

Sorry, distracted.

Yeah, fyi don't plant asparagus and expect to eat any this year. They will be very thin. Takes a few seasons to get girth.

I've had good luck with tomatoes & ocra. I also got some decent cantelopes but they weren't very sweet.

I've always just used a dirt garden though and haven't ever tried box garden's with good soil.
EW does anal?

Sorry, distracted.

Yeah, fyi don't plant asparagus and expect to eat any this year. They will be very thin. Takes a few seasons to get girth.

I've had good luck with tomatoes & ocra. I also got some decent cantelopes but they weren't very sweet.

I've always just used a dirt garden though and haven't ever tried box garden's with good soil. Originally Posted by grean
...THAT'S why Providers prefer older Hobbyists! (O.G.point +1)
  • BLM69
  • 02-14-2017, 08:53 PM
I thought someone needed their ass shaved when I first read the title
Depends on my mood, some years it is vegetables, others it is roses. I just planted roses Sat. You can do vegetables in planters on rollers. They would be lighter than the white planter which looks like it would be very heavy to move. The nurseries and Home Depot type stores will put plants out when it is planting time. Soil temp is the key when to plant. If you want to start now you can do seeds indoors in window sills. Otherwise wait until the 2-4" pots are in the stores and you will know that is the time to plant.

Good soil & consistent watering is the key, along with Miracle Grow and lots of SUN.

Biggest problem for me is birds, squirrels, then lastly tomato worms.

Feel free to PM me if you want to discuss more. I have 5 tomato cages you can have for free.
Rosemary is easy. Plant in sunny spots. Drought tolerant. Mint like partial shade and lots of water. Potatoes are relatively easy, but take up a huge amount of space. Basil is a good choice, too.

I'd try peppers, cherry and smaller tomatoes (in the sun). Pickling cucumbers aren't hard. Okra is fairly easy and prolific. Summer squashes are good of you can have a few plants for pollenixation. On tomatoes and cakes, pay attention to what is self pollinating and what needs other plants.
Check the website for your town/suburb and see if they have classes etc., I'm pretty sure mine does and also has a small "community plot" for gardening.
I thought someone needed their ass shaved when I first read the title Originally Posted by BLM69
You were not the only one who thought that. I was wondering why this was here and not in Coed or ISO until I read further.