Which is the best bicycle shop in Dallas??

Had some surgery in June and have been cleared by the doc to be able to ride a bike to shed the extra pounds I put on after the surgery, have a stationary but would like to get out as I've been inside for so long, don't want to go to the "big box stores" I want a decent bike, from a good shop with depenable staff, looking at cruisers or maybe commuter type bike as I need something a bit stable, any help would be appreciated, thx.
Richardson Bike Mart probably has the largest selection of bicycles in the city.

http://bikemart.com/
Richardson Bike Mart probably has the largest selection of bicycles in the city.

http://bikemart.com/
Originally Posted by Chainsaw Anthropologist
+1
Plano Cycling & Fitness Inc
planocycling.com
Thx for the suggestions all, anyone know about Wheels in Motion?
Wheels In Motion really doesnt have that great of a selection. I have bought a new bike at Richardson Bike Mart about every year since 2002 and they are always great.

They have a bike for every budget.
Bicycles Inc is great oh BTW get a prescription from your doctor to ride a bike... if you go to bicycles inc and I am sure other shops as well, they will not CHARGE you SALES TAX... That is at least 30-50 dollars right there you are saving...

I got my bike from there and the guys were awesome, and I do not regret getting my bike.. I even got to test ride the bike.
Bicycles Inc is great oh BTW get a prescription from your doctor to ride a bike... if you go to bicycles inc and I am sure other shops as well, they will not CHARGE you SALES TAX... That is at least 30-50 dollars right there you are saving...

I got my bike from there and the guys were awesome, and I do not regret getting my bike.. I even got to test ride the bike. Originally Posted by smartguy420
Smartguy420, how do you know of this, I've never heard of this before, any additional info on this would be appreciated esp. if it can save me a couple of $$, workers comp. kinda sucks, thx again. Mopar
  • mrod
  • 09-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Richardson bike mart is good... but just hit the dallas or frisco store... The Richardson store is full of snobs and wanna be know it alls.. You want good service and good selection then go to Plano Cycle... honestly the best shop in dallas..
There is a nice little bike shop in downtown Old Carrollton. Been there for 35 years.
RBM is good but expensive, even overpriced compared to many smaller stores.

Plano Cycle has the best customer service but is smaller. The question is whether you want more selection or the lowest price. Many of the smaller shops listed above will get you a better price.
  • st929
  • 09-02-2010, 02:13 PM
There is one in Lewisville just south of Hwy 407 on the East side service road which has a good selection and awesome customer service.

Also REI has a great selection and you get members rewards and discounts several times each year if you simply sign up (no cost) for membership.
Smartguy420, how do you know of this, I've never heard of this before, any additional info on this would be appreciated esp. if it can save me a couple of $$, workers comp. kinda sucks, thx again. Mopar Originally Posted by Mopar71

I know of this because I bought a bike through bicycles inc. I explain to them my story and these guys ROCK!

I mean they were willing to save me money , and they are PET Friendly as well. The location in Arlington, tx at least.

I bought my Trek 3700 from them and a attachment for my dog. That way when I go to park I do not have to hold on to leash and its easier to run the dog sort of speak

Ask any bicycle store, I am sure this is a standard thing amongst other stores, they just won't tell you.

Why do assume this ( even though assuming makes a ass out of you and me) I assume that every store would allow this because stores have to charge sales tax. Its not there option to do it or not, and if a prescription for a non-stationery bicycle helps then I am sure that they be glad to accept it, and then just keep the prescription as a write off.

Look, I was told this buy the guy at the bike shop.. and I am pissed off because I at the time did not have a doctor that I could see to get the prescription... He was even willing to honor that after I bought the bike a week or 2 later!

Also these guys will tune the bike up, as long as no parts are needed. I say this, because after a new bike is "broken in" Parts need to be check to see if everything is running way they suppose to.

Unless you are a mechanical pro and can do it yourself, I leave it up to the pros to do this, as I do not want to mess up my expensive bike. Sure down the road I will learn more about maintenance, but I am no expert by far.

Sorry I did not get back to you quickly, but I hope this info helps. IT is honest and true info and I be shock if majority shops do not honor this.
I am one a first name basis with everyone at Plano Cycle so my vote goes to them.
Really surprise no one else has mentioned Bicycles Inc.. these guys were great.. I am not saying anything bad against any bike store, never been to them. Stay away from DEPARTMENT Bicycles!

I like the guys at Bicycles INc, because they didnt try to upsell me and I gave them my price range, and they showed me what was on the market, and what was on sale. I also was able to try out the bicycles and see which one I preferred.