How do you listen to music?

I'm one who believes that a session can be greatly enhanced by music. I love it when the lady has something playing when I walk in the door. Since my sessions tend to include a "happy hour" component to start, it's only natural that music is a part of that scene.

Many of the ladies I run into seem to be ignorant of how easy it is to get a pretty decent set-up going. You don't even need a CD or MP3 collection. Pandora (pandora.com) for several years has offered a free service that allows you to program your own channel based on artist or even a song (they also have a pay service that forgoes any advertising). You already have a laptop, so get some speakers and you are "good to go".

I thought it would be interesting to start a thread discussing the various musical set-ups people use...might even be useful for the technically (or financially) challenged that has an interest in the subject and is looking for ideas.

...and for the true music nerd, let me tell you about my Squeezebox!
Two of the ladies I have been with used a playlist. The first one used my computer, logged onto Slacker and opened her account. The second lady brought her own computer.

Did it enhance the session? Somewhat. I assumed the ladies knew their playlists and used them to time the session w/o seeming like they are clockwatchers.
I have a hrad drive with over 15,000 songs I play..I use my surround sound/turn the lights low...awesome atmosphere setter!!
Definitely LOVE using music. For me it is not a time thing as I have several playlists and have no clue how long they are as in minutes. After I get to know a gentleman I make a playlist just for him. It seems to make the chemistry better for both of us as 1) I took time in my spare time to make something about him and 2) it really turns me on to listen to music while I play.
I have a hrad drive with over 15,000 songs I play..I use my surround sound/turn the lights low...awesome atmosphere setter!! Originally Posted by DallasRain
After 15,000 songs . . . I might be thru . . . *L*
After 15,000 songs . . . I might be thru . . . *L* Originally Posted by SlowHand49

OK, Dallas, time to figure the donation for the time it would take you to play those 15,000 songs...
I too like to have music playing during a session. It creates a more relaxed atmosphere and can even be a conversation starter. My ATF always has a country station playing but I am not a big country fan so sometimes I will burn a CD and take it along just for something different. Any music, except for rap or hip hop, is better than none.
I don't want any music going on in the background.

I compose, perform and produce music. When I hear music, it is very difficult for me not to listen to its every nuance, sort out the instruments, etc.

It's sort of like a major football fan watching the Superbowl.

So it can divide my attention, distract me, and give the provider unanticipated competition for my attention.

That being the case, I prefer the music to be off.

I bring a timer in my bag; so if the lady is really concerned about time, I can just set up the timer for her. It only takes me a few seconds.
Ears.