Backyard BBQ

I know there's some folks out there who are looking for more than just shitty political convo and bickering.

Who here loves BBQ and cooks on a regular basis?

This isn't about which places to go eat someone else's Q.

Tell me about your equipment, favorite meats, cuts, rubs, recipes, woods. To sauce or not to sauce? How do you prep? Do you use a binder and is that sacrelidge or leading to something sacrilicious?

What kinds of pits or cookers do you use?

What's the most tedious or challenging things you've ever smoked?

Are there any folks or influencers you follow?

Mad Scientist BBQ
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCselvHbb5ah0sEqZrFa-7nA

This guy is also a teacher and it shows. He brings in a mix of traditional knowledge and breaks down some of the science into digestible chunks.

BBQ Pit Boys
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UCjrL1ugI6xGqQ7VEyV6aRAg

These guys just have fun cooking and make BBQ approachable. Things like thier BBQ Bombs

Harry Soo
https://m.youtube.com/channel/UC4dtbTXdvjo272b5x_mxRBw

A competition cook that I don't necessarily agree with on some of his favorite methods but he shows a lot of techniques and ways to go about the process and is well versed on a variety of cookers. He wins a lot, he loses a lot. But he shares knowledge and that's important.
Do you ever watch Steven Raichlen? I was just watching it. He has some good things on there.
I never watch his stuff, but I do have two of his books, Project Fire and The Barbecue! Bible. Used to have The Brisket Chronicles before I gifted it to someone starting out
BBQ has become a passion of mine. I use a Treager pro series and a classic Weber kettle. Treagers are very easy to use. Set it and forget it. It provides a subtle smoke flavor. The Weber is more tedious but delivers a stronger smoke flavor. On large cuts of beef I’ll start on the Treager, bring the internal temp up slow while infusing the smoke. Then transfer to the Weber for a reverse sear. The Weber is a more versatile grill. You can set it up for two zone cooking or direct heat. The Treager I have only uses indirect heat which is great for low and slow cooking. Just set desired temp and let it roll. The Weber you have to create the fire and fiddle with the vents to control the Temps. I smoked some thick bone in Chops on the Traeger Sunday. They were great. Two sources I follow;

Heath Riles

Malcolm Reed

Both have videos on techniques an recipes. Both have websites where you can purchase their rubs, sauces and accessories.
I've had great food come off a Traeger but not the depth of smoke flavor I get on a kamado or a stickburner.

Same for any of the pellet grills, including those Green Mountain models. It's definitely there, but I think subtle is the right word.

I do use pellet or dust smoke for my cheeses, though.
Our power was going on and off Friday and fried my freezer. Funny you post this. I just today am dealing with two picnic hams that were in there. I am cooking them now. I have a smoker. I don't know I am in the mode to play around all day. I may just put it in the grill or oven and slowly cook it.
If you really want a treat, try the dinosaur beef ribs. About $120 for a 8lb slab.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...lMQ0Qx6BAgEEAE

They’re outstanding. They’re a staple of Texas BBQ but hard to find here. You can find them at a butcher shop. I’ve bought them at Friday’s in Bellevue, but the quality of beef isn’t nearly as good.
I've had great food come off a Traeger but not the depth of smoke flavor I get on a kamado or a stickburner.

Same for any of the pellet grills, including those Green Mountain models. It's definitely there, but I think subtle is the right word.

I do use pellet or dust smoke for my cheeses, though. Originally Posted by HDGristle
My wife prefers the smoke from the Treager. I prefer charcoal and a few chunks of wood. My son in law has a green egg. Lump charcoal seems to produce a stronger smoke flavor. I’m not an egg fan. It’s a quality grill but limited versatility. No two zone option that I know of. I have my eyes set on a Kamodo Joe 24. Lots of versatility. They seem to be sold out. I’ll get one next year.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...RgQ0Qx6BAgFEAE
I have the Joe, and it works great. Make all my sauces and rubs, this way I know what's in them. A friend of a friend told me about Wild Fork Foods. It's a great source for meats and seafood. Lots of game type meats available as well. Haven't had a bad experience with them in the last 2 years. It's comparable or cheaper than SRF.
I have the Joe, and it works great. Make all my sauces and rubs, this way I know what's in them. A friend of a friend told me about Wild Fork Foods. It's a great source for meats and seafood. Lots of game type meats available as well. Haven't had a bad experience with them in the last 2 years. It's comparable or cheaper than SRF. Originally Posted by Youlookinforme
Where did you get your Joe? Haven’t found a dealer nearby. Thanks
My wife prefers the smoke from the Treager. I prefer charcoal and a few chunks of wood. My son in law has a green egg. Lump charcoal seems to produce a stronger smoke flavor. I’m not an egg fan. It’s a quality grill but limited versatility. No two zone option that I know of. I have my eyes set on a Kamodo Joe 24. Lots of versatility. They seem to be sold out. I’ll get one next year.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...RgQ0Qx6BAgFEAE Originally Posted by bambino
Bam - I use and prefer my old Bubba Keg Grill. Better than a Kamodo IMO. The Bubba Keg is made of double-walled steel and is portable. Extremely heavy duty and very well insulated. Also quite versatile. I can do low and slow for 12 hours on one load of lump charcoal (I just attach a Pitmaster IQ120 to it to manage the air flow) without having to tend to it. And if I am in the mood, I can get it up to 700+ degrees to quickly grill the perfect steak or pizza. Alas they quit making the original. Broil King bought them out and make a very similar design now but it is pricy. Here is what the original looks like

https://www.grillingcompanion.com/bubba-keg-grill/

https://www.googleadservices.com/pag...RgQ0Qx6BAgFEAE Originally Posted by bambino
Egg has a ton of 3rd party options for setting up indirect/direct zones. Past 2 years they started their own official accessories via the Eggspander to do things that the Woo's can do.

KJ has that rotisserie and one pizza option, but a stock kamado can do pizza with a stone and the right airflow.
Got the Joe in Columbus. I'm out there for work occasionally. Joe used to do a Kamado day at Costco out there. A rep would give great discounts on the smoker, then would sell their version of lump charcoal dirt cheap. He even thru in the small, tabletop version for $100. I promptly sold it on Craigslist for $200. That was probably 4 years ago. Not sure if Costco still does that type of thing since covid though.
Got the Joe in Columbus. I'm out there for work occasionally. Joe used to do a Kamado day at Costco out there. A rep would give great discounts on the smoker, then would sell their version of lump charcoal dirt cheap. He even thru in the small, tabletop version for $100. I promptly sold it on Craigslist for $200. That was probably 4 years ago. Not sure if Costco still does that type of thing since covid though. Originally Posted by Youlookinforme
Costco had a 24 inch Kamodo red unit for $600 a couple weeks ago in Robinson. It was an off brand. I was tempted. But it was like a standard Egg. Not many accessories
If you want more smoke from the Traeger, buy a pellet smoke tube. They are around 20 dollars on Amazon. they will produce smoke for about 4 hours. That along with the Traeger low and slow will work great.