Caterwauling About the N-Word

There are a huge number of ethnic and racial slurs. I'm too lazy to count them all, but in the Racial Slur Database (http://rsdb.org/) there are 62 listed that start with "A". Feel free to count the ones that start with a number or the letters "B" through "Z" and get back to me. Bigots can be very creative.

But for some reason people think the N-word is especially abhorrent and merits special treatment. Pardon me if I don't agree. There are all kinds of despicable behavior that warrant our condemnation, and using the N-word doesn't even make the top 10.

Even in the area of hate speech, the N-word pales in comparison to many others. Check the RSDB for yourself and see if you don't agree. But even if you don't, there is selective condemnation - apparently movies and rap music are exempt from the perils of using the N-word, while white folks like Paula Deen are not.

For instance, in the movie "Jackie Brown", the character played by Samuel Jackson encourages Jackie to put on some "nigger repellent" when she goes to bars because she's so attractive. In the movie "Pulp Fiction", the part played by Ving Rhames asks Bruce Willis, "Are you my nigger?". I never heard any great condemnation.

In 2007, the New York City Council symbolically banned, with a formal resolution, the use of the word "nigger". Apparently kike, wetback, spec, chink, gook, cracker and bible-thumper are still perfectly acceptable.

The New York City resolution also requested excluding from Grammy Award consideration every song whose lyrics contain the word "nigger", however Ron Roecker, vice president of communication for the Recording Academy doubted that it will have any effect on actual nominations. And he was right.

So all of you kikes, wetbacks, specs, chinks, gooks, crackers and bible-thumpers let't unite! Apparently in the world of political-correctness only the squeaky wheel gets legislation, so let's start rioting, looting and marching until we get equal treatment for our perjoratives.
I like how you left out the word you're talking about in your call-to-arms of slurs. Shows you're really staunch in your belief, there.

There is a difference between nigger and nigga. I'd suggest understanding it before listing references that use it vs the other, based in that difference. Also, no need to wrap it in quotes. Intelligent people know when you're talking about something matter-of-factly (even though the topic is opinionated) you're not meaning it disrespectfully. Again, you didn't do it with the other words you're comparing as equal, or worse.

Bigots can be very creative.
Originally Posted by Wheretonow
Indeed...
There is a difference between nigger and nigga.. Originally Posted by FunInDFW
Yeah, they're spelled differently and (sometimes) pronounced differently.

Yeah, they're spelled differently and (sometimes) pronounced differently. Originally Posted by Wheretonow
And means two different things, whether you like it or not. It's clear from your rant and this reply you're not interested in understanding nor actual discussion.

So, carry on.
It's clear from your rant and this reply you're not interested in understanding nor actual discussion. Originally Posted by FunInDFW
it's actually not a rant, but a discussion about the different ways that perjoratives are treated. I'd love for you to contribute something positive to the discussion.
Black illiterates call each other nigga. That is not the N word.

They call us Crackass but the media spell it like the biscuit.

Liberals call Conservatives RACIST for every reason known to the language.

Glad I am RACIST cause I have the best nigga friends ever. They are the most loyal, fun, supportive, creative, and energetic I have. No I don't mind being Crackass cause I do, can keep up, and earn their friendship.

Only the Democrats make an issue and GOK why they get the black vote/
it's actually not a rant, but a discussion about the different ways that perjoratives are treated. I'd love for you to contribute something positive to the discussion. Originally Posted by Wheretonow
There is nothing positive to contribute to a discussion about such an ugly word that I'm sure you have typed and said a million times ending in and "er" instead of an "a". A two second look at the threads that you have started tells me why you started this thread, so no need to try to look like a fake ass intellectual like you are looking for answers to such an in depth inquiry about the meaning of life....Call Licker License. Maybe you two geniuses can figure this shit out together at the next Klan rally.
What the fuck am I reading?
There is nothing positive to contribute to a discussion about such an ugly word that I'm sure you have typed and said a million times ending in and "er" instead of an "a". A two second look at the threads that you have started tells me why you started this thread, so no need to try to look like a fake ass intellectual like you are looking for answers to such an in depth inquiry about the meaning of life....Call Licker License. Maybe you two geniuses can figure this shit out together at the next Klan rally. Originally Posted by Lucas McCain
All kinds of positive responses were possible. You could have done some research to find data that supports your belief that "nigger" is singularly abhorrent compared to other racial and ethnic slurs.

A good place to have started would have been to read the especially well researched book entitled "Nigger, The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word", in which Randall Kennedy, a black professor at Harvard Law School, explores and makes a good case for the fact that the n-word is more hurtful and should be singled out for more condemnation than other racial epithets.

Or you could have typed "nigger" into any internet search engine and found countless articles written by people who share your views.

You on the other hand chose to make personal attacks on me. And to quote a line from one of my favorite movies, "intemperate speech and wild accusations do little to further your cause."

All kinds of positive responses were possible. You could have done some research to find data that supports your belief that "nigger" is singularly abhorrent compared to other racial and ethnic slurs.

A good place to have started would have been to read the especially well researched book entitled "Nigger, The Strange Career of a Troublesome Word", in which Randall Kennedy, a black professor at Harvard Law School, explores and makes a good case for the fact that the n-word is more hurtful and should be singled out for more condemnation than other racial epithets.

Or you could have typed "nigger" into any internet search engine and found countless articles written by people who share your views.

You on the other hand chose to make personal attacks on me. And to quote a line from one of my favorite movies, "intemperate speech and wild accusations do little to further your cause."

Originally Posted by Wheretonow
Like I've said before, you're a sad, bitter, old man looking for divisive issues because you think you're a soldier in a culture war. The only thing that gives your seemingly worthless life meaning is conflict and trolling. When you're gone, I doubt anyone will miss you.
Like I've said before, you're a sad, bitter, old man looking for divisive issues because you think you're a soldier in a culture war. The only thing that gives your seemingly worthless life meaning is conflict and trolling. When you're gone, I doubt anyone will miss you. Originally Posted by Roger.Smith
It's interesting to me that when someone disagrees with a person's findings, rather than provide evidence that refutes the findings, they resort to personal attacks.

Roger, you don't know me and I don't know you. You may be capable of independent research and thought, but if so, you usually fail to display any of it on these boards.

Do you agree that hate speech, no matter who it is aimed at, is equally despicable? Or do you think that this one word should be singled out for special treatment? Your opinion of that might be a great post. Continuing to launch person attacks on me aren't.
What the fuck am I reading? Originally Posted by Adrienne Baptiste
I think you have to find out from the OP if he'd address you with the ending of a or er to get that answer.
I think you have to find out from the OP if he'd address you with the ending of a or er to get that answer. Originally Posted by AmericanIdiot
I'd make reservations long in advance, if I could be the fly that occupies space on the wall where those 2 had a session..
Is it politically correct to call a sympathizer of the klan a "fucken idiot", or is the compliment unwarranted?