DO YOU STILL BELIEVE IN CASSELL AT QB???

Personally, I am not sold that he is the QB of the future, he has a weak arm, and has trouble with deep out routes. The best arm on the team is Croyle, who I think might make a run to push Cassell out of the top spot, of course there are 60 million reasons why Cassell will start.
All he needs to do is just play solid and make good decisions. He has a running game and a new blocking scheme and an O line upgrade.

I always liked Croyle but they sure did smash him up. Heard he put on weight and bulked up and should take a better hit. Agree best arm on the team and a great back up. Haley knows this too.
I don't think Cassell has had a legitimate chance to show what he can do yet. No running game for the first half of the season, a porous O-line, and a new set of receivers every week will make any QB look bad. And bear in mind that Trent Green threw 23 INT's in his first season in KC.

That being said, Cassell's arm strength, accuracy, and decision making were all questionable at times. What I found particularly frustrating was his tendency to throw the ball a half step behind the receiver. That may just be timing but it may be an accuracy problem, as well, and accuracy is far more important than arm strength (who would you rather have had: Jeff George or Joe Montana?).

Bottom line: the jury's still out on Cassell and he will have the 2010 season to prove himself one way or the other. And his contract is structured such that he can be released after 2010 with minimal cap repercussions, assuming there even is a salary cap at that point.
The same lousy line and the same lousy receivers were used to judge Croyle also, not saying Croyle is or was the future, but did he really get a fair shot.

The stat that most concerns me, is in 2007 Tom Brady was sacked 21 times, in 2008 Cassel was sacked 47 times, in 2009 the same line gave up 16 sacks for Brady. The same line all 3 years, the problem is not always the line, a QB has got to be able to get rid of the ball faster. This concerns me with cassel.
DD Good point!
Finally, a thread about something truly important. I agree with DD, it doesn't matter who the QB is, with no line, they will suck. Let's get a good line, and see what happens.
The same lousy line and the same lousy receivers were used to judge Croyle also, not saying Croyle is or was the future, but did he really get a fair shot. Originally Posted by dirty dog
Croyle didn't lose the job due to poor performance. He lost it because he had one season-ending injury after another.

"The most important ability a player has is his availability." ---Bill Parcells
"Croyle didn't lose the job due to poor performance. He lost it because he had one season-ending injury after another."

He only started one year. Personally I think we would have been better off starting Croyle and spending the 65 million on wide receivers, Linebackers and O line. When people discuss the cheifs they over look the line backers which are poor by championship standards, in the 3-4 linebackers are the key, we have one good one who does not start a converted d-lineman who did a decent job and an aging past his prime vet in Vrble. We need linebackers, worse the D-lineman
Personally I think we would have been better off starting Croyle and spending the 65 million on wide receivers, Linebackers and O line. When people discuss the cheifs they over look the line backers which are poor by championship standards, in the 3-4 linebackers are the key, we have one good one who does not start a converted d-lineman who did a decent job and an aging past his prime vet in Vrble. We need linebackers, worse the D-lineman Originally Posted by dirty dog
With the Chiefs having to struggle to get to the salary floor (not stay under the cap, which BTW isn't in effect this year anyway), it's hard to say they couldn't upgrade the rest of the team because of Cassell's salary.

I'm with you all the way, though, on saying we needed to upgrade the linebackers and D-line, not to mention getting a young center and a RT. I would have expected them to at least make a run at Karlos Dansby given the AZ connection, and I would much rather have gotten the NT that Baltimore ended up drafting (I forget his name but I've had some wine) rather than career-nickel-back Javier Arenas with the pick we got for Tony G. None of that, however, is Cassell's fault.
No its not Cassel's fault, he is only responsible for how he plays. How long should we give on the pioli and the head coach (cant think of his name, never can for some reason) before we as a fan base demand something else. I never was in favor of hiring Pioli, I think his success was intertwined with Bellicheck, his draft picks from last year were underwelming, his decision to keep Johnson was suspect, cutting Pollard in favor of an old mike brown and a slow mcgraw (I do like the way mcgraw tackles). I dont know this years picks better do something amazing.
I saw Croyle play in college, and was very impressed...and very happy to see him go to the Chiefs.

Since then, he has been underwhelming.

However, people don't really play QB for the Chiefs....they run for their lives. Seems the teams that go to the superbowl all have at least one thing in common - they protect the quarterback...wish the Chiefs would at least try to do that.

I haven't been paying attention...Cassell has a $65 million deal? Over how many years?
Hey you an Alabama fan, I watched a lot of Alabama football and watched a lot of Croyle, I understood why the cheifs drafted him. He never really had a chance, no line, no running game (come on larry Johnson, 2 yards and a pile of shit). I think given a decent line and a threat of running the ball he could be a good starter, no not Peyton, but maybe Eli.

Another area the cheifs have never given enough attention to, from Marty to Herm, WIDE RECEIVERS. Imagine how much better the great offense under Vermeil would have been with a break out superstar receiver. Or if Marty Ball consisted of a deep threat superstar receiver. The last great reciever we had was Otis Tayor, the best since Taylor was Henry Marshall. WE NEED A DESEAN JACKSON, LARRY FITZGERALD, BRANDON MARHSALL, MARQUS COLSTON, RICE IN MINNISOTA,

TO THE FOOTBALL GODS I SCREAM WHHHYYYYYYYYYYYYY CANT WE HAVE ONE TOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep, Crimson through and through...grew up there.

I agree a high impact wide reciever has been needed for a long time. I look at how far the Chiefs have been under the cap, and thin, they could have had a Terrell Owens, or somebody like him. They clearly have left enough money on the table to get one of these high impact guys...and have chose not to. I can empathize with people who got pissed off and quit buying their season tickets. If the Chiefs won't even meet the cap, they don't look like they are seriously trying to contend.

Now the renovation is over, and maybe they'll start spending money on the free agent market (unfortunately they timed this with an uncapped year).
How in the hell did I miss this football thread??? WOW Well lets me bump it back since it has not been 30 days.... With training camp just a few days away Im getting excited for football to start up..... And I see the name Terrell Owens in the post above me.. What are your thoughts bout what happened yesterday.. Terrell going to CIN to play along with Chad..... WOW that is like the VH1 football team if I say so. I dont see how they will get any work done with the two of them together on the team.......

Also let me touch on what was said in the post earlier bout the QB..... As far as cassell and the WR.... Last year was a bad year and I will be the first one to say that Bowe and Cassell didnt get along... Hell Bowe and Todd (the head coach) didnt get along they were always fighting with one another and I think that is why he didnt get many passes and when he did they were off cause they didnt care for one another and therefore in practice there was no chemistry.... However this year is different.. after speaking to someone..... (BOWE) he informed me that he and cassell now get along and things are alot better... Him and todd have also squashed the beef they had and no longer fight back and forth.... So maybe they can get in synce and get something going...... I was told by a few of the guys that cassell does have a good arm fast arm but when running from ppl its harder to throw at the target trying to save your life is more important....... I beleive that this year with charles and jones in the back field they will try to run the ball more... I still think we need a few more good WR and a TE.... RB wise we are good and i am happy with the 2 we have.. Safety and corner....s well as long as these new draft boys stand out and do what they were drafted for then the secondary should be ok.. If flowers and carr can stay healthy then everything should be ok on that end.......... Im more excited bout this year and cant wait to see what happens... yes I still have hope... But in the long run I will have to say that the ravens or jets will be the ones in the SB..... I have a feeling that will be the playoff game to decided who goes..... just my 2 cents on that lol YAY ITS ALMOST FOOTBALL TIME...... Im starting to get horny!!!!
With Larry "stumble for 3 yards" Johnson, Dwayne "hands of stone" Bowe, and an offensive line in the backfield with Johnson, no QB will have a chance. This year will be a better gauge for Cassell. With some new players and a couple of veteran coaches, things should improve. Croyle has a good arm, but is like a fighter with a glass jaw.