Good idea? Bad idea?

• Bubba
  • 07-13-2010, 08:14 AM
While browsing through another thread in this section JS42 brought up an interesting (and maybe crazy) suggestion/thought.

What do you all think about having a thread where you can say almost anything you want?
There would be some rules, but not many. If we were to do this, discussions about children and drugs would certainly be off limits. Threats would also be against the rules. You would however be allowed to call people names, and pretty much say anything else you want to say. We might also make it a rule that you can only talk about people that have posted in the thread…....hmmmmm….interesting .
I think this might work as a good outlet for people to let loose a little bit. Of course the downside would be if people tried to carry any bad feelings from "the thread" into other threads/forums.
If we did this I would start it with a note outlining the few rules and letting people know that what happens in “the thread” stays there! Uhhhhh….I just thought of something. If I start the thread then I am open game too……… Maybe I need to think about this a bit more. LOL!
How about calling the thread - "Free For All", "Bombs Away" or possibly "Insanity"??
Ok…so what are your thoughts on this.
Sounds like fun hell, I am like Chris, everyone hates me so fire away LOL.
Of course the downside would be if people tried to carry any bad feelings from "the thread" into other threads/forums. Originally Posted by Bubba
I don't think anything can prevent that. Have fun.
I am in!
sounds interesting, I guess if it got really bad or started moving to other threads just shut it down.
  • Bubba
  • 07-13-2010, 02:02 PM
Yes it could be shut down at any time but my fear is that once something is said, it is said. Shutting down the thread won't erase it.

I guess as long as the "rules" are clearly posted in the initial post anyone that takes the "fight" outside the thread shouldn't be surprised if they get sanctioned.

This needs much thought and input!
Not having any axes of my own to grind, it seems to me that this could damage civil discourse (or what passes for it here, anyway ) for a long time. Which is not to say I'd be able to resist jumping in.
Insults should be directed to the individual and should not contain references to family, occupation, etc. There should be a limit, as to the number of responses, like person A calls out person B, person B can then respond, but there needs to be a limit so it does no become a running gunfight between two people, just an idea tell bubba what you think
Insults should be directed to the individual and should not contain references to family, occupation, etc. There should be a limit, as to the number of responses, like person A calls out person B, person B can then respond, but there needs to be a limit so it does no become a running gunfight between two people, just an idea tell bubba what you think Originally Posted by dirty dog
So a rhetort such as:

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries"

would be off-limits?
I am already building up some real stingers.....

For example re Dirty Dog:

Filthy Cur
Smelly Canine
Odorous Mutt
Stuff like that ya know.
So a rhetort such as:

"Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries"

would be off-limits? Originally Posted by fritz3552
Well actually mother jokes like this would not be a problem for me, this is pretty normal during "battles" and the young ones call them.
I am already building up some real stingers.....

For example re Dirty Dog:

Filthy Cur
Smelly Canine
Odorous Mutt
Stuff like that ya know. Originally Posted by catnipdipper

But Cat there all true!!
  • Bubba
  • 07-14-2010, 09:09 AM
While limiting the number of responses may be a good idea.....frankly I don't want to spend that much time monitoring the thread.

Gryphon.....your point is well taken and certainly one of my main concerns.

IF we try this, I might only leave the thread open for a day or two. If all goes well then maybe we would try it again and leave it open a bit longer.

This still needs some thought.
The first rule of fight club is . . .
  • Bubba
  • 07-14-2010, 10:25 AM
"The first rule of the fight club is . . ." ......pick on COG??? LOL! Sorry COG.....but that was way to easy.

You are right about the "fight club."