Losing one of my beloved chihuahuas, Sweet Pea.

My beloved Sweet Pea, the Imperial Empress of the Known Canine Universe and mistress of her chihuahua kingdom and it's slave human subjects, fat and sassy with the the softest, most pettable coat and the friendliest disposition you'd ever see in a chi, whose cute and conniving antics have conned me out of more treats, toys, attention, affection, and laughter than any other living being has gotten from me over the last 16 years, has gone into renal failure. Had her at the vet for hundreds of dollars worth of tests and treatments, took her home last night pumped full of fluids and meds, she's resting as comfortably as can be expected, and I'll have tonight with her, but unless there's some miracle, tomorrow I have an agonizing decision to make. Really isn't much of a decision, as I don't want her to suffer and I know what has to be done, but the thought of taking her in to die in a place she's already terrified of on a sterile steel table with a bright light shining in her face is literally killing me. I have a throbbing headache from inflamed sinuses and 3 boxes of tissue, my stomach hurts so bad I've been throwing up. I haven't eaten in two days because I can't keep anything down.

I actually thought about adopting another dog from the pound as a donor and then giving it a loving home for the remainder of its life. (Dogs, like humans, have a spare kidney) However, the cost of the procedure would be around $10,000 and anti-rejection drugs another $1,000 or more a month, and I just don't have that kind of money, plus she has a heart problem and probably wouldn't make it through such a rare and risky surgery anyway.

To some of you this will sound ridiculous, but she's FAMILY. I love that dog like a child (since I don't have any), and this is breaking my heart more than ANY creature, four-footed or walking upright, has EVER done.

I have been researching home euthanasia for ways of letting her go to sleep with no pain and just drifting off this world quietly in my lap, but all methods have possibilities of going terribly wrong, and while I begged all the vets at the clinic to come out to my house and do it, nobody will. (Have taken over a dozen dogs to this $%#@*&^ clinic over the last 10 years and spent tens of thousands of dollars, so you'd think they could do this for me, but no, "It's against the clinic's rules.") Have not found any other vets in the area willing to come out, especially for a dog they've never seen before, and no mobile vets in my zone who offer anything beyond basic care and rabies shots. Does ANYONE know a vet who would be willing to come to my home northeast of Conroe? He can charge what he wants and have me, too, if it would make any difference.

(My apologies to the ECCIE gent who had an overnight scheduled with me tonight and was coming from another city just for that. I had to cancel on him yesterday, not much notice for a date that had been made months in advance. I am SOOOO sorry, and thank you for understanding. Sorry also to others who've inquired about weekend appointments as I had planned to be in town this Saturday, but I just can't. I'll be available after Monday. In the meantime, everybody who hasn't been spending enough time with their pets lately, go hug and kiss them, buy then a special treat and spend some playtime with them this weekend, please. I feel awful that I haven't been home loving my furkids near enough lately.)

Perky Pea.jpg

Any prayers to St. Francis, the patron saint of animals, and to St. Roch, the patron of dogs, on behalf of Sweet Pea would greatly appreciated.
i am sorry. i have recently lost a dog and a cat. sometimes it can seem crazy how much it hurts to lose a pet. like you said they are like family. had mine creamated, it helps some to feel like they are still close. hope for a miracle recovery.
I remember as a kid playing pee-wee baseball (8 or 9 years old) and I remember a boy missing practice because his dog died. I remember laughing that someone would be upset about losing a dog.

Then I owned 2 dalmatians and only then did I realize the feelings he felt. Before this we bought a baby dal from a pet store that was sick and we had to have her put down.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Please try viewing these 2 youtubes from a very good movie.

Early in the movie. Skip to about 5 minutes 30 seconds. This will bother you, but that's OK. If it didn't, somethings wrong.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwVE3...eature=related

Later in the movie. Skip to 7 minutes and watch to the end. This will make you feel better and give you hope..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqSGV...feature=relmfu

Ohhh, Fancy.. I am sooo very sorry for what you are going through.. You and the babies will be in my thoughts and prayers..

I'm so sorry to hear this fancy,

I was faced with the same task, my chihuahua "Fila" who I had shared my life with since my 5th birthday. He was getting old ( 15 Yrs) and had been overcome with seizures and bronchitis. When my grandma approached me with the idea I was crushed and it took me a few days to to actually realize that he was suffering & it would selfish of me to keep him at home slowly wasting away.I couldn't actually take him down to the vets, an uncle of mine had to.

Even now thinking about it brings a hard lump to the back of my throat
Just know that your doing the best thing for Sweet Pea !!!

I wish you a ton of comfort during this time!
Even though your vet will not do a house call, most will let you hold the dog as they inject it.
Sorry for your suffering, Fancy. Losing a pup is pretty tough, I don't care who you are.
So sorry for your loss, Fancy. I think you'll find that your vet has already thought of your concerns and you will get through it. I think it is traumatic to be there when a loved passes no matter what. Have a friend or family member take you - don't you be driving yourself there and back.
Im so sorry to hear about this Fancy, losing a pet is hard, the only time I ever saw my father cry in his 74years was when our dog died, my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Oh Fancy, I am SO sorry. Being owned by several dogs over the years, I know what you are going through. I wish I could hug you and make it all better, but life doesn't work that way.

If the vet won't come to you, can you bring something there to make it more like home for her? A blanket, her favorite pillow? Anything? And get them to give you a chair and put her in your lap so you can hold her right to the end? Would they dim the lights enough to be comfortable? They should have SOME compassion, this is an important life they are dealing with. Nothing should matter more than yours and your child's comfort.

Words can't ever say enough or do enough at a time like this. I do wish I could take some of that pain for you.
So sorry you are having to go through this. I have cried like a baby over more than one four legged family member.
awwwwwmim sry babes...sending lost of puppy kisses your way
To some of you this will sound ridiculous, but she's FAMILY. Originally Posted by Fancyinheels
Not at all.

Sometimes, the only REAL family.

I have been researching home euthanasia for ways of letting her go to sleep with no pain and just drifting off this world quietly in my lap.... Originally Posted by Fancyinheels
This would be my preference too....though, I have no information to share with you. Perhaps, you could try getting some professional advice from a vet.

Sincerely hope you get through this in one piece. Take care, Fancy.
Fancy, some years ago a vet named Dan Jordan (713)524-3800, a vet in Rice Village came to the house to put down a sick and aging lab...........Don't know if he will still do that or what rate, but you might want to call and see........A good guy and respected vet......
As we speak my parents are having their cat put to sleep.
My dad's texting me and correcting himself also.
Apologizing that he isn't in the "right state of mind".
This coming from the man who taught me not to cry like a baby growing up.
I guess you just get softer as you age.
Anyway it's just an animal that's easily replaced.