Cell phone (non hobby)

• Trey
  • 07-30-2014, 06:29 AM
Brother Trey ain't so tech savvy, I know some of you are. Well I lost my cell yesterday went to sprint and picked up an lg g3 phone. I have no idea if it's a good phone or not but I can take it back for the next couple weeks, figured I would see if I could get any suggestions from you guys.

I mainly use my phone as a hot spot so I will have to get anything I get rooted(anyone know a guy). Other than that I surf the web and take photos just normal shit. So far with this one the battery seems to suck. And it feels like it will break in my hand any second. I didn't get an otter box yet as I'm not sure if I will keep it.
Question (s):
When you say the battery sucks. How many hours is it lasting?
Why do you want to get it rooted? If you want free tether there are apps in the play store for that. FoxFi comes to mind.
What phone did you have before this? If it was another Android & it was more than 18 months old you'll have to learn some new things. Google is starting to mandate less UI tweaks & more standardization from OEM's.
  • Trey
  • 07-30-2014, 09:02 AM
If I play with the phone it drains fast. I can't say exactly how long it will last yet.

I tried foxfi before but it never worked. Maybe I will try it on this phone and see if it works. Apart from the tether I don't do anything with the root.

I had an evo by HTC it was about 2 years old. What's new? Can I still get a tether?
The G3 has the best battery life of any phone in Sprints portfolio.
On a full charge streaming a HD video with full screen brightness it should last 06:30:00 (hrs:min:sec)

If you're that tech illiterate there is no need for you to root your phone.
There's no real reason to root anymore aside from overclocking, flashing a new kernel, & maybe moving apps to the SD card. Apps to SD was removed with the JB update.

You could stay within brand & exchange it for a HTC One (2014) M8.
It's made from aluminum, not plastic
  • Trey
  • 07-30-2014, 09:38 AM
Are there any other tether apps like foxfi you would suggest that don't require you to root? I was looking at the One, I liked the camera feature I saw on tv I think this one has it too though. Will have to read instructions and see.
-ClockworkMod Tether (no root)

-Wifi Hotspot & USB Tether Pro

Please tell me you aren't using TV commercials to decide which phone to buy
  • Trey
  • 07-30-2014, 10:14 AM
-ClockworkMod Tether (no root)

-Wifi Hotspot & USB Tether Pro

Please tell me you aren't using TV commercials to decide which phone to buy Originally Posted by Dorian Gray
Lol no I'm not that bad. It's just a feature I saw and remembered. Hey thanks for all the help.
http://www.factoryoutletstore.com
sells unlocked phones. used them several times,no problems.
^^^^
Sprint is CDMA.

The unlocked phones you are directing him towards run GSM which work on AT&T / T-Mobile.
Yes DG. I got my sim card from h2o,reseller
for ATT. $50.00 a month,unlimited everything.
The HTC One is a good phone and the battery life is awesome.
Yes DG. I got my sim card from h2o,reseller
for ATT. $50.00 a month,unlimited everything. Originally Posted by keinok
So what does this have to do with solving Trey's issue?
I had one of the cheaper LG phones, think I only paid about 75 bucks for it brand new at Walmart. In my opinion, it was painfully show on the web. However, about the only good thing I would have said about it was that it had an amazing battery life. Maybe I just got lucky?