Texas Treats...

• ~Ze~
  • 08-06-2017, 05:20 PM
I keep making visits down to Texas, but I never have anything good to bring back with me for my PNW friends.

Are there any snacks/foods that I can bring back? I mean, Dr Pepper is kinda a Texas thang.. but it doesn't really scream local flavor...

Also, bbq doesn't really travel well.
I usually send/take chili fixins and locally distelled spirits (checked) to peeps in Oregon.
How bout Pork Rinds ?
The food of the gods. You can occasionally find them in airports, especially Austin, too. And easier to carry on than five pounds of brisket and five pounds of sausage from Louie Mueller's or Franklin's.

https://lammes.com/product.php?web_item_id=26
cans of Ranch Style Beans.. they will keep fresh for a long time.
  • ~Ze~
  • 08-06-2017, 10:55 PM
The food of the gods. You can occasionally find them in airports, especially Austin, too. And easier to carry on than five pounds of brisket and five pounds of sausage from Louie Mueller's or Franklin's.

https://lammes.com/product.php?web_item_id=26 Originally Posted by TexTushHog
When I think Pralines, I think Nola... not Texas... then again, I have never HAD a TX Praline...
Blue Bell ice cream? I'm not originally from Texas & people down here are fiercely loyal to it! It's good & all, but don't understand the craze. Must be a childhood memory thing for folks that grew up with it. Corporate HQ is here in TX too. I think the Listeria outbreak has been contained so you should be all good now.

I know it's ice cream, so just pack it in a bunch of dry ice. Hell, Amazon will ship anything!
cans of Ranch Style Beans.. they will keep fresh for a long time. Originally Posted by Chung Tran
at one time the bacon in this product was mine

then Con Agra bought them and I was history

This would add some spice to their life!

Probably aren't many food "treats" that just scream Texas. Most things that come to mind, especially food, are dishes, styles, meals, things of that ilk which obviously wouldn't travel well. Tex-mex treats maybe that blend the area?

That said, finding local versions of things might work well for those who would notice. Peaches, pecans, those weird grapefruit-cross-thingies from close to the border, would travel well and have their niche markets in Texas. Usually when I've brought things for non-texans they are either objects or things produced in Texas but are cooked at their location. Tortilla burgers are a HUGE hit in my experience.
I've seen people fly from PDX to DFW with a loaded huge pink box from Voodoo Donuts in their lap. You could do the same with a box of kolaches. They do sell boxes of day-old kolaches for cheap. So if you bought a fresh box and it didn't get onto someone's plate until 4-10 hours later, it should be all right.
You may already know but Central Market is a small upscale grocery chain out of Texas owned and operated by HEB out of San Antonio.

You'll need a cooler for sure to partake in the refrigerated and/or frozen goods.

Their chocolate milk. I sometimes go in there and come out with ONLY a bottle of chocolate milk. They make their own.

Same thing for their salty snacks - easily as tasty as Frito Lay.

Meat case - A carnivores paradise.

Cruise the isles and you'll find many Texas manufactured products.

These guys and Costco are two of my favorites I visit weekly
  • Crock
  • 08-07-2017, 05:46 PM
I've seen people fly from PDX to DFW with a loaded huge pink box from Voodoo Donuts in their lap. You could do the same with a box of kolaches. They do sell boxes of day-old kolaches for cheap. So if you bought a fresh box and it didn't get onto someone's plate until 4-10 hours later, it should be all right. Originally Posted by Trespasser
Kolaches don't scream Texas to me. I've had them at donut shops in California, Arizona, Georgia, both Carolinas, New York and Illinois. Some places just call them different things (pigs in a blanket).

Shiner Bock is the first thing that was uniquely Texan that I fell in love with when I moved here, but I think it's distributed nationally now. There are some great breweries around here, though, if beer is an appropriate gift.

Dublin Dr. Pepper is much more unique than regular Dr. Pepper, but the real thing is gone. Cane sugar Dr. Pepper still makes a great gift.

Some great Texas hot sauce that I hope gives Sriracha a run for their money: https://yellowbirdsauce.com/
  • motor
  • 08-07-2017, 06:51 PM
http://tastesofthesouthwest.com/

I love their Sweet & Hot Jalapeņos. Their products avail online and in specialty stores.

Texas Treasures in Northpark Mall sells products from all over Texas.