Buffalo Most Affordable City

Forbes has published its list of America's most affordable cities. The top 20 are:
  1. Buffalo NY
  2. Memphis TN
  3. Cincinnati OH
  4. Dayton OH
  5. Knoxville TN
  6. Akron OH
  7. Grand Rapids MI
  8. Louisville KY
  9. Oklahoma City OK
  10. Warren MI
  11. Detroit MI
  12. Birmingham AL
  13. St. Louis MO
  14. Virginia Beach VA
  15. Jacksonville FL
  16. Pittsburgh PA
  17. Tulsa OK
  18. Tampa FL
  19. Syracuse NY
  20. Columbus OH
Forbes has published its list of America's most affordable cities. The top 10 are:
  1. Buffalo NY
  2. Memphis TN
  3. Cincinnati OH
  4. Dayton OH
  5. Knoxville TN
  6. Akron OH
  7. Grand Rapids MI
  8. Louisville KY
  9. Oklahoma City OK
  10. Warren MI
Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Pretty clear region, great lakes/appalachia
Yep, try and find work there.
Yep, try and find work there. Originally Posted by Gotyour6
If you do have a good job, the good news is that you enjoy a relatively low cost of living. The bad news is that you don't have enough asset in your home to move elsewhere.
If you do have a good job, the good news is that you enjoy a relatively low cost of living. The bad news is that you don't have enough asset in your home to move elsewhere. Originally Posted by jackfengshui
Personally I find it shameful how many people decide where to live based on their home's value. I feel there should be more to one's decisions than that. Texas has been the magnet for that type of decision maker, I know a few guys from my last company ended up there, because that's where they could impress middle management with numbers since the area is growing. If you want to live your life that way more power to ya.
JC, my point is merely that, if I lost my job in Buffalo and found one in Boston, I might not be able to afford to buy a house there after selling mine here.
The Buffalo News reported this with an understandably upbeat note:

http://www.buffalonews.com/business/...nking-20140311
I would have thought Detroit would be on the list.
I would have thought Detroit would be on the list. Originally Posted by pyramider
# 11.
is most affordable just a positive way of saying poorest city?
is most affordable just a positive way of saying poorest city? Originally Posted by amazing7779
Not necessarily. It has to do with the ratio of the average housing/living costs over the average income, the smaller the better.
Surprised no NC/SC cities are in the top 20.