Computer neeerrrds! Activate! Double Logging in?

My colleague stops by and I notice that she has to log in twice on her Compaq laptop. There's a black Compaq screen that she has to enter her password, then there's the normal Windows 7 blue screen where she has to log in AGAIN. I've never seen that.

Does anyone have any explanations? I've done a search but I don't think I'm wording it the right way. Any step in the right direction will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
  • Mokoa
  • 08-06-2012, 10:45 PM
A few things...

Perhaps a password has been set in the BIOS.

Perhaps Compaq has provided its own extra layer of security.

Perhaps her hard drive is fully encrypted by Pointsec or some other encryption utility and requires a user ID and password to get into it. Such encryption utilities encrypt and decrypt the data on the fly to prevent access to the data if the laptop is lost or stolen.
Is the laptop used also setup as part of a network, even a home network?
Think I got it!

Basically it was because her pc is set to logoff when the pc goes to sleep, since she says it only happens after she wakes it up. The black screen is her NORMAL color, just with a Compaq logo, instead of the cute doggie like I've got. The blue screen is the weird thing.

She changed it so that it doesn't require the login after sleep mode, but yet when she closes the lid, it still requires a login.
I think we're all good.

Thank you guys! That was quick!
  • Meiji
  • 08-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Sounds like a screen saver password.