References no good or red flag?

I reached out to a provider to schedule an appointment and she wanted a reference, which is to be expected since I have never seen her before. I sent her to references of women I have see recently. She emailed me back immediately and said she could not use those women as references and if I had any other. I sent her another reference and again she emailed me back saying she can’t use that person either. Now these are three women that are well known, they have P411 accounts, reviews available, and I have used them before with no issues. I emailed her back asking if there was another way to get verified and there was no response. The provider I contacted has a few reviews on another site and one person has given multiple reviews of how awesome she is. I’m not sure what to think about this one... I didn’t put her info on here because she hasn’t done anything wrong, it’s just confusing.
I ran into one that would not accept 1 of my references. (I found out later it was because she didn't follow the "local rules" about clients). There are a few cliques in the TC area. Twitter is a great way of discovering them. One clique in particular are pretty uppity. I wonder if it was something pertaining to that.
The three women I used know of each other but don’t hang out. And I’ve talked to them about references and why it’s important for everyone’s safety. I’ve never had that happen before and that’s why it’s weird. If it is a clique thing, that would defeat the purpose of using references for safety...
Who you were trying to see might be the issue with it.