Pat Summerall RIP

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/pat-sum...3892--nfl.html

Madden & Summerall were the best combo ever...

• CJ7
  • 04-16-2013, 10:53 PM
damn, sorry to hear about that
  • WTF
  • 04-16-2013, 10:57 PM
He quit drinking ....and died. There has to be a lesson learned there somewhere!

I do agree he and Madden were great.
  • CJ7
  • 04-16-2013, 11:12 PM
He quit drinking ....and died. There has to be a lesson learned there somewhere!

I do agree he and Madden were great. Originally Posted by WTF

no ice will kill your ass
Absolutely the best ever. Just can't think of any of the current crop who can even stand in his shadow. (Although the Buck/Aikman duo is really good)
I think the Cossell - Merridth team was the best (football).........

Pat Summerall was a class act; his coverage of The Masters was superlative. He never interfered with the game...it wasn't about Pat it was about the game (unlike today's personality drive coverage Feherty and McCord).

Here is Summerall recounting his interview with the Masters Committee who decided if he was "good to go" for Masters coverage with CBS (they weren't sure a football broadcaster was a good choice):
"You know you're better known as a football player," Roberts said.
"Yessir, I know that," Summerall replied.
"What's your handicap?"
"It's 12 or 13, Mr. Roberts."
"Well, the best golfer we've had has been Chris Schenkel, who was an eighteen. So you should be all right."

Read More http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-tours...#ixzz2Qj4XIl6n
It's a shame Obama slashed the Cossell-Merridth(sic) budget.

LMAO!
Pat Summerall was a good guy, from all accounts I have heard. He lived in Dallas and passed away at Zale Lipshy Hospital.

What is disgusting are small minded jerks in the Sandbox who hijack threads like this...........
  • CJ7
  • 04-17-2013, 11:27 AM
Absolutely the best ever. Just can't think of any of the current crop who can even stand in his shadow. (Although the Buck/Aikman duo is really good) Originally Posted by EXTXOILMAN
Troy and Joe really good?

Joe is a great baseball guy, football, not so much. Troy is an average commentator in the game. I was a big Aikman fan when he was taking snaps and making plays
Pat Summerall was a good guy, from all accounts I have heard. He lived in Dallas and passed away at Zale Lipshy Hospital.

What is disgusting are small minded jerks in the Sandbox who hijack threads like this........... Originally Posted by Whirlaway
What is disgusting is the way some people have turned the Boston massacre as a soapbox while somehow raising a celebrity's passing to a hands-off topic

Fuck you Whirlyturd
  • CJ7
  • 04-17-2013, 01:06 PM
What is disgusting is the way some people have turned the Boston massacre as a soapbox while somehow raising a celebrity's passing to a hands-off topic

Fuck you Whirlyturd Originally Posted by Yssup Rider

theres a fix for whirlie ...

@AssUp...........You follow me around like an untrained puppy dog; pissing on every thread you can find...........

I don't mind your childish posts and antics in threads I create; but why do you feel so entitled to do it in threads that have nothing to do with politics?

Are you really that much of a low life in real life?
I had the pleasure of playing the back nine at Great Southwest in Arlington with Summerall back in the late '90's. We caught up to his twosome and they were playing pretty slow because Summerall had just had a hip replacement or at least that's my recollection...he was recovering from something. Obviously, he was in a cart, but it was taking him some time to move on and off the greens. He asked us if we wanted to join or play through. Shit, play golf with Pat Summerall? You better believe it.

Nicest guy you'd ever want to meet, and not a bad ball striker either, especially considering he was limping around recovering from surgery.

I enjoyed his football commentary but his best work was at Augusta. RIP.
That is pretty cool; was his real time voice that smooth easy sound ?

BTW, he died from complications of hip surgery.....
I tell you what, he looked and sounded bad. It may have been because of whatever surgery it was that he was recovering from....and I don't want to besmirch the man's memory but he had a reputation as a hard-driving, hard-drinking partying mofo in his day, and his day went on for a while. And, that's what he looked like. Worn down from whiskey and cigarettes. But, again that could have been a result of his medical condition.

He was still doing some advertising radio spots here in DFW quite recently and I was always surprised he lasted as long as he did, based on the way he looked that day. I guess him giving up the booze was a good thing for him.

But, he was gracious and friendly, and it was a pleasure to play a few holes of golf with him. True gentleman.