Sleep disorders

I have noticed a lot of people on here (same as regular day to day life) have a lot of issues sleeping. I study people with sleep disorders for a living and I don't mind giving advice or trying to help on occasion. Pm me with any questions and I will try to answer.
I haven't slept for shit for about four years. Went in for a sleep study about a year and a half ago as a precaution for my heart. I don't stop breathing, my oxygen level stays fine, therefore no diagnosis of sleep apnea. 8 waking episodes per hour though, and never get past stage 2 sleep. They didn't seem to worried about it, and left it alone, but I come to full consciousness no less than 3 times in an average night. They kind of blamed me because I drink coffee during the day (but never after 2pm). Well, I have been drinking it since I was 8, and that hasn't changed in the 30 years since.

Good times....
I haven't slept for shit for about four years. Went in for a sleep study about a year and a half ago as a precaution for my heart. I don't stop breathing, my oxygen level stays fine, therefore no diagnosis of sleep apnea. 8 waking episodes per hour though, and never get past stage 2 sleep. They didn't seem to worried about it, and left it alone, but I come to full consciousness no less than 3 times in an average night. They kind of blamed me because I drink coffee during the day (but never after 2pm). Well, I have been drinking it since I was 8, and that hasn't changed in the 30 years since.

Good times.... Originally Posted by Enchanterlingum
sounds like you have a few health issues, I don't know anyone who is "healthy" and has concern about their heart.
but let's pretend the issue is caffeine:.
One study some years ago showed that the half-life of caffeine in healthy adults is 5.7 hours (see source). This means if you consume 200mg of caffeine at 1pm, you would still have 100mg in you at around 6.45pm, ~50mg at 11PM, 25mg at 4am.
but as you say you havent slept well for 4 years yet drink gobs of coffee for 30 yrs..
I agree, I don't think coffee is the problem
why the concern about your heart?
I've had heart issues since my mid-twenties. The new GP wanted to see if some of the secondary hypertension might be caused by sleep apnea. I didn't believe it was, but I didn't spend six years in evil medical school, so I went along with it.
I've had heart issues since my mid-twenties. The new GP wanted to see if some of the secondary hypertension might be caused by sleep apnea. I didn't believe it was, but I didn't spend six years in evil medical school, so I went along with it. Originally Posted by Enchanterlingum
what hte fuck are "heart issues""?
Your high BP is likely caused by the tons of caffeine you take in and a lack of good nutrition.
Get some nitrates in your diet from fruits/veggies to increase the NO in your body and reduce your BP and help you get boners to fuck girls with
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/1/1.full.pdf

Get 5+grams of vitamin C to help repair your arteries/soft tissue as THATS WHAT Vitamin C Is used for....(make collagen)
when you dont get enough, what do you think the body uses to repair soft tissue?
if you don't have it, the body uses LpA(kinda of LDL cholestrol), why do you think the body gets heart dz?
99% of mammals make their own Vit C, apes/monkeys/man don't... so get it from yourr DIet(hard to do_ so take a few grams a day via pills/powder
get enough protein

You are 50+ right?
ever get your hormones checked? well, PM me if you want my advice....good luck

or keep whining about how you don't sleep....whatever floats your boat
I sleep in fits. I have sleep apnea. Pretty severe they tell me but not enough for the VA to perform surgery. Otherwise, it is voluntary surgery for regular health insurance. I have two dogs inside, one wants to sleep because he is tired and the other is afraid to go to sleep because of the black cloud (that feeling of dread that comes from the stopping of breathing). Even with a machine I stay up to all hours and take a nap in the daytime if I get a chance. I also have to take two doses of insulin before bed. The later I go to bed, the later I have to take them.
Even as a kid I would go for two or three days without sleeping and then crash for 14 hours.

I also drink a lot of tea (about a 2 gallons a day in the summer and one gallon in the winter)
That alone should keep you awake.
I also drink a lot of tea (about a 2 gallons a day in the summer and one gallon in the winter)[/QUOTE]

Did you read about the guy that recently died from drinking too much ice tea? Oxalate accumulated in the kidneys and caused renal failure. He was drinking about nine 12oz. glasses of tea a day for several years.

Back to the topic....I was also diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. 33 apneas per hour and anything 30 or above is considered severe. I sleep much better with the CPAP machine, but have problems wearing the mask more than 4 or 5 hours...still I feel my quality of life has improved.
I also drink a lot of tea (about a 2 gallons a day in the summer and one gallon in the winter) Originally Posted by Smoking Monkey
Did you read about the guy that recently died from drinking too much ice tea? Oxalate accumulated in the kidneys and caused renal failure. He was drinking about nine 12oz. glasses of tea a day for several years.

Back to the topic....I was also diagnosed with severe sleep apnea. 33 apneas per hour and anything 30 or above is considered severe. I sleep much better with the CPAP machine, but have problems wearing the mask more than 4 or 5 hours...still I feel my quality of life has improved.[/QUOTE]

Yes, I read the story....

I have, according to the sleep center, about 70 wake ups an hour. I use a CPAP as well. If you remember the scene in Star Wars when Darth Vader gets his mask for the first time, that little scene caused a real emotional response in me. To be condemned to weaing that for all time...
It also is a problem if you find yourself unexpectantly away from home without your CPAP.
what hte fuck are "heart issues""?
Your high BP is likely caused by the tons of caffeine you take in and a lack of good nutrition.
Get some nitrates in your diet from fruits/veggies to increase the NO in your body and reduce your BP and help you get boners to fuck girls with
http://ajcn.nutrition.org/content/90/1/1.full.pdf

Get 5+grams of vitamin C to help repair your arteries/soft tissue as THATS WHAT Vitamin C Is used for....(make collagen)
when you dont get enough, what do you think the body uses to repair soft tissue?
if you don't have it, the body uses LpA(kinda of LDL cholestrol), why do you think the body gets heart dz?
99% of mammals make their own Vit C, apes/monkeys/man don't... so get it from yourr DIet(hard to do_ so take a few grams a day via pills/powder
get enough protein

You are 50+ right?
ever get your hormones checked? well, PM me if you want my advice....good luck

or keep whining about how you don't sleep....whatever floats your boat Originally Posted by bigcockpussylicker

I didn't seek the advice I got, why would I solicit more?

Oh yeah, it's all about you.
I don't see any over weight issues, with you guys.
Really.
I didn't seek the advice I got, why would I solicit more?

Oh yeah, it's all about you. Originally Posted by Enchanterlingum
nope, I offered so you know what's available to you
Same reason you might offer a hitch hiker a ride, they likely can walk to anywhere, but getting help can make life easier
I offered you help., you don't want it, no big deal, but I offered
walk to wherever you need to get to.
Why cut off your nose despite your face? beats me,, but keep at it
Why be a mucking moron and attempt to insult me?
oh yeah, cause your a moron
LOLZ
nope, I offered so you know what's available to you
Same reason you might offer a hitch hiker a ride, they likely can walk to anywhere, but getting help can make life easier
I offered you help., you don't want it, no big deal, but I offered
walk to wherever you need to get to.
Why cut off your nose despite your face? beats me,, but keep at it
Why be a mucking moron and attempt to insult me?
oh yeah, cause your a moron
LOLZ Originally Posted by bigcockpussylicker
Crack a book.
I am wondering what bigcockpussylicker does for a living. What has caused you to come to the conclusion that vitamin c is the answer? Also just so you know high blood pressure due to caffeine use is very short lived and returns to normal quickly.
Jd is your issue with your mask related to being closterphobic? What kind of mask is it? Full face, nasal, or nasal pillow mask?