Democrat Control!

Now the mayor's race in Kansas City is non-partisan...but in 2008 every member of the city council went to the Obama coronation in Denver.
Sadly, Houston will eventually be on the list. Too much feeding at the public trough.
Liberals tend to coddle prisoners.

I prefer the methods used in Cool Hand Luke.
Originally Posted by dilbert firestorm
Dam NOLA is in the top five. What do ya think Dilbert, would ya say that's accurate? Chicago is 24th, I would think Chicago would be higher on the list.
Dam NOLA is in the top five. What do ya think Dilbert, would ya say that's accurate? Chicago is 24th, I would think Chicago would be higher on the list. Originally Posted by Levianon17
I'm not sure of which table in the FBI statistics from which year was used for this, but it's most likely per capita so I'd think it could very well be accurate.

However, it does show a stark pattern of leadership in the most violent cities.
I'm not sure of which table in the FBI statistics from which year was used for this, .... Originally Posted by eccielover
The "FBI statistics" are based on local reporting and are only as good as the local LE complete the reporting forms in a timely manner. There is an interest of local governments to under report and/or erroneously report events involving criminal activity for a number of reasons, not the least of which is to demonstrate a "low crime" area to entice people to live there and to demonstrate how effective local LE is in "fighting crime"!

BTW: I've seen DA's from rural communities under report "not guilties" as a lower offense, when the indictment was of a higher offense to make it look good on the books ... until they lost the case, then they wanted to minimize their loss!

Judges often refer to it as "over-charging" .... we've seen some of that recently in the news when the prosecution wants headlines and to scare defendants into pleas.

On another level the results of the violence are often "made into murders" by a slow EMS response to a shooting, and not "on purpose" it's just the "standard" response for that community or neighborhood as the case may be. In defense of EMS they are often not allowed into a scene of a shooting until LE is reasonably certain that the threat has been neutralized. There was a comparative study years ago between Washington DC and St. Louis. There were actually more shootings in St. Louis than DC, but fewer murders in St. Louis. An undercover reporter discovered that the EMS response time to shootings in St. Louis was much better than in D.C.
The "FBI statistics" are based on local reporting and are only as good as the local LE complete the reporting forms in a timely manner. There is an interest of local governments to under report and/or erroneously report events involving criminal activity for a number of reasons, not the least of which is to demonstrate a "low crime" area to entice people to live there and to demonstrate how effective local LE is in "fighting crime"!

BTW: I've seen DA's from rural communities under report "not guilties" as a lower offense, when the indictment was of a higher offense to make it look good on the books ... until they lost the case, then they wanted to minimize their loss!

Judges often refer to it as "over-charging" .... we've seen some of that recently in the news when the prosecution wants headlines and to scare defendants into pleas.

On another level the results of the violence are often "made into murders" by a slow EMS response to a shooting, and not "on purpose" it's just the "standard" response for that community or neighborhood as the case may be. In defense of EMS they are often not allowed into a scene of a shooting until LE is reasonably certain that the threat has been neutralized. There was a comparative study years ago between Washington DC and St. Louis. There were actually more shootings in St. Louis than DC, but fewer murders in St. Louis. An undercover reporter discovered that the EMS response time to shootings in St. Louis was much better than in D.C. Originally Posted by LexusLover
The double edge problem of statistics.

Don't collect data and there is no accountability.

Collect data and people game the system.

Like capitalism, everything functions best with good people both running and using the system.

What does that say for a capitalistic society that lets anyone enter the country without high and enforceable standards?

On another level the results of the violence are often "made into murders" by a slow EMS response to a shooting, and not "on purpose" it's just the "standard" response for that community or neighborhood as the case may be. In defense of EMS they are often not allowed into a scene of a shooting until LE is reasonably certain that the threat has been neutralized. There was a comparative study years ago between Washington DC and St. Louis. There were actually more shootings in St. Louis than DC, but fewer murders in St. Louis. An undercover reporter discovered that the EMS response time to shootings in St. Louis was much better than in D.C. Originally Posted by LexusLover
Yes, statistics are a dangerous thing when they have too many "subjective" moving parts.
Liberals tend to coddle prisoners.

I prefer the methods used in Cool Hand Luke. Originally Posted by friendly fred

So do I....

Dam NOLA is in the top five. What do ya think Dilbert, would ya say that's accurate? Chicago is 24th, I would think Chicago would be higher on the list. Originally Posted by Levianon17

sounds about right..

its prolly based on an older FBI statistic. might be based on the late 1990, early 2000 statistic.
  • Tiny
  • 04-21-2019, 12:20 PM
Fascinating table Dilbert. I'm not sure you can entirely blame Democrats. Yes, despite exceptions, like maybe Pete Buttigieg, overall, Republican politicians tend to run local and state governments better than Democrats. Voters seem to recognize this, electing Republican governors in places like Vermont, Maryland, and Massachusetts. However, the other thing to note about your table is that the populations of these places is predominantly African American and, compared to the average American, poor. If people's economic circumstances in these cities improved, the homicide rates would go down.

Yes you can blame the local politicians and local school boards (mostly Democrats) in large part for the root causes. But perhaps we should be spending more to help poor children and single mothers in cities like these, which is something Democrats would favor more than Republicans.

I'm not sure exactly how you fix this. Government closest to the people usually works best. But what if your local government is incompetent? If the federal government spends more money to try and fix this, through law enforcement and/or programs to lift people out of poverty, how do you make sure it's spent efficiently, in ways that will do some good? Heck if I know, but this is certainly a huge problem. We have cities in the USA with homicide rates among the worst in the world, as bad as anything in Brazil or Central America.
Its a lot more complex then just the table But that's a very GOOD start , Just look at Dallas Creuzot dime store politician changing laws all by himself ?????????????
T..... An undercover reporter discovered that the EMS response time to shootings in St. Louis was much better than in D.C. Originally Posted by LexusLover
That could be for several legitimate reasons from EMS personnel coverage to the gangs who shoot at EMS guys responding to a call.