Windows XP End of Life Revisited

Hi Everyone,

I made a post in mid-April concerning Windows XP end of life.

I’m just wondering who’s still using this OS and if any problems were/are encountered.

I’m still running XP with IE7 and it’s doing fine, although YouTube and other Web presences are advising they will no longer support the system. I'm too poor to buy a new computer and this old Dell Dimension 8300 doesn't have the capacity to "modernize".

I’m just curious and would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks,
TD
As long as you did all the updates for XP and have current anti-virus software, your risks are currently very small.

However, as time passes, you will find more and more software will not run and you will start encountering problems with more websites.

You can get a refurbished Windows 7 system fore less than a session with many of the ladies here. Check out Craigslist
Thanks for taking the time to reply, OBSG.
I have seen plenty of Commercial operations still running Windows XP Pro on their Workstations even though Microsoft finally "retired" it in April. They can get away with it for now since they generally are only running their own internal applications. However I have recently started running across Applications wanting a 64 bit system to run on only (most of the XP machines are 32 bit). Home users are unfortunately a different story. Microsoft generally forces Home users onto whatever their current platform is (Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, soon to be released Windows 9). They also have built in limitations for upgrading Internet Explorer on their operating systems. The furthest you can take XP is IE 8.0. I have recently started to see Internet Sites throwing up notices that they are not supporting IE 8.0 any longer. You may be able to get around this for awhile by using a third party Browser (i.e. FireFox, Chome, Safari, etc.). But eventually you will have to upgrade. The best time to buy if you have to is usually during the "Back to School" sales (now) or Christmas time.
Get rid of IE7
Install Firefox instead- they still update their Browser
  • romo2
  • 09-01-2014, 07:14 PM
Use Firefox or Chrome. Make sure you have Malwarebytes installed; its worth paying for the protection it provides in conjunction with your anti virus software
  • tyred
  • 09-01-2014, 07:27 PM
I still use XP Professional with Webroot AntiVirus and Mozilla Firefox browser.
I do NOT use FLASH or JAVA for security reasons.
Personally, I would stay away from Google Chrome, because Google is so data hungry - it
seems like they vacuum your computer for information.
Thanks to everyone for the info and advice.

TD
But time is your enemy, as more programs are 64.
However, as RB mentions above, Win 9 is due to release shortly. I have a few groups of folks that still have xp but are protected behind a server wall. They are all scheduled to jump to W9 when it's released. Then the Win 8 folks. Amusingly, after them is the Win 7 32 folks. The Win 7 64 folks are good for at least a year or two. It's all about when do you want to spend $. But everyone I know is jumping over, or away from W8.
But time is your enemy, as more programs are 64.
However, as RB mentions above, Win 9 is due to release shortly. I have a few groups of folks that still have xp but are protected behind a server wall. They are all scheduled to jump to W9 when it's released. Then the Win 8 folks. Amusingly, after them is the Win 7 32 folks. The Win 7 64 folks are good for at least a year or two. It's all about when do you want to spend $. But everyone I know is jumping over, or away from W8. Originally Posted by Unique_Carpenter
Thank you, UC.
I still use XP to edit photos and videos with software that I am comfortable with... that doesn't work on anything above xp....
I'd write more... but I've got to take my pet dinosaur out so he can do his duty....
I still use XP to edit photos and videos with software that I am comfortable with... that doesn't work on anything above xp....
I'd write more... but I've got to take my pet dinosaur out so he can do his duty.... Originally Posted by Paulwantsya
Consider upgrading your Dell a bit.

Install a second drive? expand RAM?

That should give you some flexibility to upgrade the OS?

I've seen decent used laptops for under 2 bills.

Use Google apps and the cloud for some stuff to save on storage and costs.
Many of the corporations still using XP are paying Microsoft $$$$$ each month to provide security updates behind the scenes until they migrate to a modern and secure OS. These updates are not available to the general public. They are actually paying more to M$ for the updates than if they had upgraded their systems to the newer OS in the first place. Nothing like an IT department being lazy and penny wise, pound foolish.

Agree with the others, you can get refurbished machine with Win 7 for less than a session with one of the providers here.
Agree with the others, you can get refurbished machine with Win 7 for less than a session with one of the providers here. Originally Posted by rare2prtk
And probably get a better bang for your buck....