Restraints/spanking 101 wanted

Hi all,

I have an FWB that has brought up the subject of her being tied/restrained and being spanked (either together or separately) and I'm somewhat embarassed to say its challenging my imagination. It's not an area I have any experience in but with/for her I'm willing to give it a go. So do any of you have any suggestions, ideas, tips, things to try, or things to avoid while I plan for this (probably sometime next week and she wants me to surprise her).

Safe word: This is a given
Restraints: What's better/preferable for the first time? Fuzzy handcuffs? Soft rope? Just tied up, or tied down (immobilized)?
What to do once she is restrained? Tease? Spank? Oral? Intercourse? Candles/wax (is this too advanced)?
Spanking: How hard for the first time? Manual or use devices? For how long?
Outfits: Is there anything to wear that makes it better?

Things I know she's into: intercourse, oral (both), fingers for her, objects for her, kissing, sensuality/tease, occasional spanks during sex, massage (both)

Are there some basic mistakes to avoid?

I would especially like some views from the ladies as to why ladies find this erotic/exciting. She seemed to be getting horny just talking about it (I was too but for different reasons).

I did some searches on several Eccie forums and on the web, but there's almost too much info available or its for people looking for something more extreme than I am.
Go visit with the guy at VerLes.

Sportsheets has some nice under-mattress restraints. Easy to use, and they are not uncomfortable.

You may want to search on BDSM sites.
Duct tape ... its cheap, easy to find, easy to work with, fits all sizes, and if SO finds it in your car there are no questions.